View previous topic | View next topic

Dog variety (and other animals)

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

beeblebum
662517.  Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote

Hornet wrote:
From a Google Image search (I know nothing about chickens).

Silky:

Shamo:

The difference seems to be comparable to, for example, a sheep:

and a goat:

...which are clearly different species.

Oh, and as this is my first post, hello everyone.

hello
you could add a deer on the and and my point is clear

Alfred E Neuman
662550.  Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote

beeblebum wrote:

You are aware that a sheep, a goat and a deer are three different species, and that the whole point about dogs is that they are all the same species? And also that the difference between a chihuahua and a Irish wolfhound is far greater than that show by the chickens that you have mentioned?

beeblebum
662571.  Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
beeblebum wrote:

You are aware that a sheep, a goat and a deer are three different species, and that the whole point about dogs is that they are all the same species? And also that the difference between a chihuahua and a Irish wolfhound is far greater than that show by the chickens that you have mentioned?

thats my piont ,sheep, a goat and a deer are three different species,and look closer than the chickens,the point is what they have been breed from one animal,dogs have a biger scale in size but some poultry if you didnt no any better like with dogs could be thought to be different species
you couldnt cross a black bird with a crow

Ameena
662719.  Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote

Well, those two chickens...they both have the same kind of shaped beak. Obviously I have no way to tell the scale of those pics but I'm guessing both birds are roughly the same size (I mean, the second one would be if it kind of crouched down a bit ;)). Fine, I take the point that they do look different. But not so different that they look completely and utterly different species.
Compare, say, a bulldog (short, stocky build, very short squashed snout, very short hair, etc) to the aforementioend Irish wolfhound (comparatively huge, longer body shape, tapering nose, midlength fur, longer anf fluffier tail, etc) and they are nothing like each other. At least the chickens still have the same shape beak! Yet both the bulldog and the wolfhound are the same species and could therefore breed together if they were so inclined.

Alfred E Neuman
662729.  Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote

Ameena wrote:
...if they were so inclined.

Would that inclining include the step ladder?

beeblebum
662736.  Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote

the size different is greater than you think
the silky is only about 10inches tall and wieghts half a pound to a pound ,the shamo is up to and sometimes over 3 feet (36inches)
and wieght upto 14 pound
all we did in history is breed for purpose with both animal species
no other two species have been changed more than these two species
today lap dogs and fancy fowl have taken this a to extremes
but you cant say that k9 species is the only one because it not true ,i have kept game fowl for some time and to watch them move you would understand were im coming from,
if you ever come across a poultry show pop in and have a look
im sure ill win my case

<3<3 tony[/img]

Ameena
662768.  Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote

Win? I wasn't aware we were competing.
And Alfred - they wouldn't need a step ladder if it was the wolfhound who was male ;). Hmm, this reminds me of a Red Bull advert I saw once...

Flash
662772.  Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote

Beeblebum makes a reasonable and uncontroversial point surely? Dogs have a curious propensity towards diversity within the species, and chickens do as well, in different ways and perhaps to a different extent.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2