View previous topic | View next topic

Outlandish place names

Page 9 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Posital
913425.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:

The thing that concerns me about this pic - don't get me wrong, the people are just fine - it's the fact that it's been changed.

You can see that a "Cocking" sticker has simply been plastered over another name, which leads me to two possibilities:
1) The people of Cocking couldn't afford their own sign, so they nicked someone else's; or
2) The village was previously known by a more dreadful name, and settled on a less offensive name. I just wonder what it was previously known as...

Suggestions on a postcard...

Spud McLaren
913427.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote

ViscountGrey wrote:
... (Bottom being the old word to describe the area set aside for Longbow practise).
As is the word Butts, which appears in quite a few location names in the Peak District area. Interesting.

Strawberry
913434.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
tetsabb wrote:

The thing that concerns me about this pic - don't get me wrong, the people are just fine - it's the fact that it's been changed.

You can see that a "Cocking" sticker has simply been plastered over another name, which leads me to two possibilities:
1) The people of Cocking couldn't afford their own sign, so they nicked someone else's; or
2) The village was previously known by a more dreadful name, and settled on a less offensive name. I just wonder what it was previously known as...

Suggestions on a postcard...

It seems to have been known by that name for centuries. Link

Posital
913582.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote

Strawberry wrote:
It seems to have been known by that name for centuries. Link
Discounting the possibility of sign stealing - take it from me it's hard to steal little ones.

It must mean that option 2 is true and the previous name was so dreadful that they had to expunge it from all records...

Intriguing...

'yorz
913587.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote

Whatever it was, it ended with 'ON'.

Spud McLaren
913616.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote

I notice the next village south is Singleton. A Cocking-up of the signage, perhaps?

'yorz
913617.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote

Plausible, but I see a distinct 'mid-vertical' shadow where the begin letter is, so I think the first letter ain't an S.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1247727.  Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote

Bolton, Lancs has it's fair share of bizarre names i.e. Doffcocker, Ruins, Montserrat, Lecturers Closes and Oaken Bottom

Page 9 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9