View previous topic | View next topic

Outlandish place names

Page 8 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Billybob
650585.  Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote

There's a Yelling just outside Cambridge (Cambs., not Glos.) and there's the Slaughters in Gloucestershire - Upper and Lower.

And as for roads with outlandish names, there's an Inner Ting Tong and an Outer Ting Tong near Budleigh Salterton, Devon. The first time I saw that sign, I laughed so hard I almost fell out of the driver's seat.

zomgmouse
650613.  Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote

Kissing in Germany and Fucking in Austria.

Spud McLaren
651164.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
From Thomsons' latest catalogue?

BigStu
651183.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote

I grew up in Yorkshire within ten miles or so of Blubberhouses, Killinghall, and the wonderfully poetic Kettlesing Bottom.

In the environs of my current abode in Oregon are places called Wankers Corner and Boring (and before anyone asks, yes it is).

I guess my life is going downhill.

Spud McLaren
651205.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote

BigStu wrote:
In the environs of my current abode in Oregon are places called Wankers Corner...
Must be a large govt. presence there, surely?

tetsabb
651418.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
I don't think there's a Diss in Sussex but there is one in Norfolk (is there one in Suffolk too Moosh?)

There is a signpost that reads

Balls Green
Blackham

on the A23 in Sussex though

Actually the A264 between East Grinstead and Tunbridge Wells.
Near Brandsby in North Yorkshire in the 60s 2 houses were built, and a signpost was placed on the road pointing to 'High Rising' and 'Ball Cottage'. Dad got quite weary of our sniggering as we went past on our way to York.
In May 2009 a gang of us had a lovely lunch in the pretty West Sussex village of

qizzle
651519.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Slutshole lane really does exist, its between Attleborough & Wymondham, just off the A11 near Besthorpe, found it using StreetMap.co.uk

thegrandwazoo
652892.  Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
thegrandwazoo wrote:
Is that the same Flash that was in the Guinness BoR as the highest village in England?
I believe it is, and that it has the 2nd highest pub.

I live quite near the village/hamlet of Greenhow Hill in North Yorkshire which claims to have the highest graveyard in England (it also has or had until recently a pub) The highest pub is Tan Hill Inn which has recently been on the news when a load of customers got snowed in, lucky beggars!
Bigstu's post about Blubberhouses and Kettlesing Bottom struck a chord as they are just down the road from me. There are also two Hole Bottoms within a couple of miles of where I am typing this.

marjan
861738.  Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:22 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:

Kissing is 142 kilometres (88.1 miles) from Fucking. )

Last edited by marjan on Fri May 11, 2012 2:04 am; edited 2 times in total

Gooische Vrijgezel
861810.  Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote

marjan wrote:
Kissing is 142 kilometres (88.1 miles) from Fucking. )

Great. Let's compile a really, really long list (including Mianus, visited by Jackass: "Is there a hardware store in Mianus?"):

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=287730#287730

suze
861823.  Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote

As many will be aware, I spend much of my working life with girls in the 16-18 age group. The notion that Kissing is 88.1 miles from Fucking would certainly strike a chord with many of them - but it's not really the sort of thing that I'm encouraged to talk about in class ...

suze
861826.  Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote

LOL ...

At this point, we must note that you can't proceed from Kissing to Fucking in a straight line. First religion gets in the way (i.e. you have to get around München, whose name derives from monks), and then you have to, ahem, take a detour through the hills.

So by road, it is 113.7 miles from Kissing to Fucking.

ViscountGrey
911136.  Wed May 23, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote

I remember on a trip through Wales noticing the propensity for the word "Pant" in place names... this led us to Pant-y-gellin and onwards to the highly amusing Pant-y-girdl (which really was a blink and you miss it place!)

There's also a "Druid's Bottom" in Lincolnshire (Bottom being the old word to describe the area set aside for Longbow practise).

I live just outside a small village we have re-christened "Sandwiches", because the actual name is Coldham...

Also in Lincolnshire, but not so much an outlandish place name as an outlandish pronounciation (in comparision to its spelling: Azlackby

'yorz
911196.  Wed May 23, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote

My German friend had problems pronouncing Haltwhistle, so it went from Haxwechsel to
Horst Wessel.
That now has stuck. :(

Strawberry
913422.  Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:42 am Reply with quote

Town names

Page 8 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next