View previous topic | View next topic

Outlandish place names

Page 5 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

exnihilo
478323.  Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote

justifiedsinner wrote:
There's a place on the Isle of Arran I once went to for a walk specifically because it's called Thundergay. It's not that exciting, and you'd miss it if you weren't looking. The walk from there up to a lock is rather pleaseant.

Is there a canal on Arran?

SusannaC
496572.  Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote

The signs for Badgers Mount and Pratts Bottom at the first roundabout after leaving the M25 at Junction 4, always cheered me up.

And there's Titsey Wood, by the Clacket Lane Service Area, which makes me think of a rather bouncy barmaid...

roundhead
496622.  Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote

Pink Green, near Redditch, Worcs.

Willey, near Hinckley, Leics.

suze
496628.  Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote

If you want That Sort Of Thing, see post 79394 for lots and lots of it ...

nimravus
496715.  Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote

jsp - speaking of Nempnett Thrubwell, did you know they have a mixed hockey team (NT Hornets), although they play in Clevedon & not Nempnett Thrubwell itself.

joefoxon1
504057.  Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Davini994 wrote:
Hooray, Wetwang. Just down the road from where I grew up.

There are two interesting things about Wetwang. Most famously, Richard Whiteley was the honorary mayor of Wetwang. Also, there is a place in Middle Earth called Wetwang.

In Wetwang you can get the best fish and chips ever. Up here in County Durham there is a town called No Place.

AndyMcH
504103.  Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote

Newark isn't a particularly outlandish placename.

But it has a GREAT anagram !

Efros
504107.  Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Pity Me is in Co. Durham as well if memory serves me right.

joefoxon1
504109.  Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Pity Me is in Co. Durham as well if memory serves me right.

I think I've seen that signposted somewhere.

Efros
504114.  Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote

Yep wiki says

Quote:
It is claimed that during one flight from a Viking invasion, monks sang the 51st Psalm. The Latin words of the psalm are Miserere mei, Deus, meaning "Pity me, O God" in English. For its part, the Oxford Dictionary of British Place Names speculates that it may simply be "a whimsical name bestowed in the 19th century on a place considered desolate, exposed or difficult to cultivate". However, it probably refers to a Pithead Mere, an extended area of boggy waste ground, onto which the outwash from minehead pumping engines was discharged. An alternative theory suggests, as with some local place names in County Durham, the name derives from Norman-French for 'A Small Lake'.[1]. Another theory stems from the same derivation but that 'petit mer' is an ironic name for the settlement given the arid nature of the local land.

I rather like the Miserere mei, Deus, fits in with the Nordic connections in the area.

Blue-Jay
504199.  Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote

I live near Six Mile Bottom. That's a big bottom! And look for the sign post warning of Hidden dips- makes me giggle every time.

And I drive through Ugley on the way to work.

We drove past Old Sodbury on the way to devon last year. I think it's full of grumpy old men.

And there's always Diss in (i think) sussex. (I wonder where Datt is)

joefoxon1
504201.  Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote

There is somewhere in Lincolnshire called Spttle-in-the-Street.

Moosh
504210.  Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote

Blue-Jay wrote:
And there's always Diss in (i think) sussex. (I wonder where Datt is)

There's a Diss in Suffolk.

bobwilson
504279.  Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote

I don't think there's a Diss in Sussex but there is one in Norfolk (is there one in Suffolk too Moosh?)

There is a signpost that reads

Balls Green
Blackham

on the A23 in Sussex though

Moosh
504281.  Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
I don't think there's a Diss in Sussex but there is one in Norfolk (is there one in Suffolk too Moosh?)

Apparently there isn't one in Suffolk, but the one in Norfolk is within spitting distance of the county border, which is why I thought it was in Suffolk.

Page 5 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next