View previous topic | View next topic

Outlandish place names

Page 3 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

King of Quok
273931.  Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote

The etymology is hardly in question but it did raise a smile when we accidentally ended up, after a wrong turning, in Beaver Creek, New York state, today.

fredelliot
276827.  Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote

"Ramsbottom is a town in Northern England, United Kingdom. It is one of many amusingly named small towns in a country world-renowned for its eccentric behaviour and rain. The town's traditional name, "Slammanarse", was changed due to the over creation of jokes. This backfired when the district of "Upper Ramsbottom" was created."

I seriously hope that that is true. I grew up not too far from Ramsbottom, and I never knew that it's traditional name was Slammanarse.

Some people may of already seen this, but it still amuses me Amusing Place Names. That is a list of amusing place names near to my postcode, but just enter your own postcode and you'll find some brilliant names.

Efros
276943.  Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote

There's a liquor store in Beaver Utah, its name is...

Strawberry
277100.  Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:59 am Reply with quote

Peregrine Arkwright wrote:

As I emerge from hibernation and contemplate vernal travel, I examine a road map.

A place called Wetwang catches my eye. Can anyone offer its derivation, truthful or creative - but at any rate quite interesting?

Peregrine Arkwright

Richard Whiteley was Mayor of Wetwang.

BFG
394923.  Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote

Unfortunately the postcode thingy no longer seems to be working.

When it comes to outlandish place names, you'd have to have a pretty good one to top the small village in the east of the Netherlands called Rectum.

Not such a weird name if one knows that the um, hem, em or sum or heim at the end of such place names is derived from an old word for home.

No i'm wrong. It's still a pretty weird name.

Not many people live there. Perhaps it's the odour.

mckeonj
395211.  Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:43 am Reply with quote

My sister lives near Beer.*

*'Near Beer' was the nickname of the liquid resembling beer which was sold at inflated prices to the punters at 'clip joints'**

**'clip joints' were drinking clubs in Soho, where young men would be persuaded to buy expensive drinks for the seductively clad hostesses.***

***My sister was not a seductively clad hostess.

suze
395256.  Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
'Near Beer' was the nickname of the liquid resembling beer which was sold at inflated prices to the punters at 'clip joints'

It's rather fallen out of use by now, but "near beer" used to be the usual term in North America for low alcohol beer-flavored beverages.

The drinks themselves are still very much around - the USA and Canada both deem a drink of less than 0.5% alcohol content to be non-alcoholic, and as such the drinking age doesn't apply.

samivel
395258.  Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quote

Like Top Deck shandy, then.

Efros
395301.  Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote

We call Near Beer "Canoe Beer" in our house, relates to an old "what does ... have in common with ..." joke.

There is a place called Dicktown in New Jersey.

thegrandwazoo
395446.  Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote

There are the Piddles in Worcestershire, Wyre Piddle and Nether Piddle along the aptly named Piddle Brook (not to be confused with the Dorset Piddle which is altogether larger!)

mckeonj
395461.  Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote

My post 161644 refers to the delightfully named Sandyballs, which was at one time a naturist camp.

Cardinal Richelieu
396401.  Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote

In Argyll and Bute, there is a very long and meandering mountain road which leads up to "Rest and be Thankful"

hashmcgandy
403287.  Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote

Ameena wrote:
There's a place called Nether Wallop somewhere in the westen-ish areas of England. There's a Lower Wallop fairly nearby too - a friend and I found 'em when randomly browsing through a road atlas for weird place names.
There were some weird places we saw signs for when we were up north too - Sheepwash, Guide Post, and Wide Openare three I can remember :D.

This is my first posting here so hi to all QI nuts!

The Wallops - are three villages along the 'Wallop' Brook in Hampshire. They are: Nether Wallop, Over Wallop and Middle Wallop. Back in the 1980s I worked on a farm near Nether Wallop one summer to boost my meagre college funds and I remember waiting for a bus into Salisbury one day. After a couple of hours of waiting, I asked a passer-by when the next bus was due; "Thursday" came the answer.

On the subject of outlandish place names, I remember passing through a place on the Welsh borders a few years back that was barely a kink in the road and a few houses. It's name - 'New Invention'. Now that's odd!

Davini994
403291.  Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Hello and welcome hashmcgandy.

samivel
403304.  Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Welcome :)

Page 3 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next