View previous topic | View next topic

Republic of Ireland

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Was this subject matter interesting enough?
Yes, definitely
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
No, not at all
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nice, but we knew that already
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Teaspoon
141517.  Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote

Republic of Ireland: land of saints and scholars, stone walls, green fields, and the Celtic tiger so they say. But this small island country has also given the world some Quite Interesting people, inventions, and contributions to our vocabulary.

Let’s start with vocabulary

Honeymoon:

The phrase for “honeymoon” in Gaelic is "mí na meala", which means "the month of honey" originated from an Irish tradition. Irish monks used to produce a fermented honey brew called “mead” and would give enough to a bride and groom to last them a month after their wedding. It was believed that this drink enhanced fertility and was the best way to ensure a good beginning for a new marriage.

Mead was also the drink of choice for the ancient Irish “Royalty” the Provincial Kings and the High King of Tara and the heads of Clans of course.

Boycott:

The word boycott originated in 1880 from a passive insurrective action taken by members of “The Land League” against the tyrannical English landlords at that time.

The Land League formed as a kind of union to lobby for fairer treatment of tenants and advocated a non violent approach to the actions of an estate agent of Earl Erne named Capt. Charles Boycott. Boycott soon found himself isolated — his workers stopped work in the fields, stables as well as the house. Local businessmen stopped trading with him and the local postman refused to deliver post. To boycott was coined by Fr. John O’Malley when referring to the ostracism of an estate agent like Capt Boycott. The term was used in The Times by November of 1880 to describe organized isolation.

“One word as to the way in which a man should be boycotted. When any man has taken a farm from which a tenant has been evicted, or is a grabber, let everyone in the parish turn his back on him; have no communication with him, have no dealings with him. You need never say an unkind word to him; but never say anything at all to him. If you must meet him in fair, walk away from him silently. Do him no violence, but have no dealings with him. Let every man's door be closed against him; and make him feel himself a stranger and a castaway in his own neighbourhood.” —J. Dillon, M.P. (Speech to the Land League, Fch. 26, 1881).

The Land League forced Gladstone’s Government to pass a law in 1881 restricting rents and granting tenants security of tenure. Another gift from the Irish to life today.

Neotenic
141598.  Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote

My favourite thing about Ireland is the Exemption from tax for artists, authors, etc.

Teaspoon
141707.  Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
My favourite thing about Ireland is the Exemption from tax for artists, authors, etc.

Well not totally true. They have a a tax free exemption on the first €250,000 then after that not sure of the rate but they are taxed.

legspin
141710.  Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:

Also applies to bloodstock owners and breeders, supermarket entrepreneurs, ex-taoisigh, farmers and major international corporations.
Does not apply to pensioners, the unemployed and the rest of us

AlmondFacialBar
141792.  Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quote

and since it's been capped mr do-gooder himself, st. bono, has moved his assets to the netherlands... no comment.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

-simplyme-
147037.  Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote

I'll comment... St. Bono is no saint, he goes on and on about doing your bit! But has he ever once gave rather than taken! Sure he's got better things to do like sue people of a hat!!! Oh yeah cause thats gonna solve all the worlds problems!

Mulvil
148744.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:18 am Reply with quote

I actually knew the honeymoon and boycott stories already but nice to be reminded!

Actually we learned the boycott one at a very young age in history class

BondiTram
149523.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote

-simplyme- wrote:
I'll comment... St. Bono is no saint, he goes on and on about doing your bit! But has he ever once gave rather than taken! Sure he's got better things to do like sue people of a hat!!! Oh yeah cause thats gonna solve all the worlds problems!

Eh? Must have missed that.

Mulvil
150322.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:
-simplyme- wrote:

Eh? Must have missed that.

He brought a stylist to court because she apparently took his hat

AlmondFacialBar
150870.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote

and a pair of jeans, how dare you forget that? ;-) actually that was the most amusing court action on the news in years here if you ask me, he made such a major ass of himself! the really worrying this ther eis of course that he won...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Mulvil
153734.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote

Of course he won.... he is the all knowing, all complaining (but little doing himself) BONO

strukkanurv
153744.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quote

I was thinking of driving to southern Ireland & taking the ferry, but I was a little concerned when a friend told me the roads are in a state of disrepair with potholes & such.
Is this true?

Mulvil
153746.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:14 am Reply with quote

Well apart from the main roads really. There are maybe three states of road in Ireland. Good roads, which are usually in and near and heading to cities. Ordinary run of the mill roads in big and medium sized towns and crap roads in most other places. If you pick a route that avoids villages and goes mainly through fair sized towns you should be okay

Edit: spelling, I'm getting worse at it

strukkanurv
153754.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:32 am Reply with quote

I'll be heading for Cobh - what's it like there?

Mulvil
153757.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quote

No idea, I've never been there but given that its in Cork roads etc. should be good, your going a long distance, where are you getting a ferry to?

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next