View previous topic | View next topic

NORFOLK ISLAND

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Hugo Rune
269746.  Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote

[quote="Lumpo31"]
Hugo Rune wrote:

Nonetheless and interesting character; I'd like to think he made his way back to England, but who knows! Stranger things have happened at sea...

Lisa

That confuses me somewhat, as I was told that after they discovered Pitcairn they burnt the Bounty to stop anyone from leaving the Island, and I also thought that they weren't granted amnesty until a few generations later.

Will have to do some research.

I've also remembered where I got the idea of a cornish connection from, it was the owner of a craft shop on the Island, I was discussing the language with her and she mentioned it, but it was 25 years ago so my memory could be in error.

From that phone book I got the number of his (and mine) old drinking hole, the RSL club, so will call there soon.

Lumpo31
269869.  Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote

Hugo Rune wrote:
That confuses me somewhat, as I was told that after they discovered Pitcairn they burnt the Bounty to stop anyone from leaving the Island, and I also thought that they weren't granted amnesty until a few generations later.

Will have to do some research.

This might be helpful:
Fiona Mountain wrote:
The Bounty’s cutter strangely disappears from Pitcairn chronicles and the ducats that were carried on board the ship have never been accounted for, though the wreck of the Bounty has been extensively searched. The cutter provided Christian with the means to row out to one of the British whaling vessels that periodically sailed past Pitcairn and the ducats to buy his passage home.

http://www.fionamountain.com/isabellamoreinfo.html

Of course, it's pure speculation, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Hugo Rune wrote:
I've also remembered where I got the idea of a cornish connection from, it was the owner of a craft shop on the Island, I was discussing the language with her and she mentioned it, but it was 25 years ago so my memory could be in error.
There's probably of the mutineers who came from Cornwall (Quintal for instance) but Christian was definitely Manx, at the very least of Manx descent.

Hugo Rune wrote:
From that phone book I got the number of his (and mine) old drinking hole, the RSL club, so will call there soon.
Very good! I hope you find your mate, sounds like you're heading in the rihgt direction! There's a Jeff Brown listed in the directory, but I didn't know if that could be him, as Brown's an island name.

I've been to the Rissole (or maybe it was the Bowling Club - might have been both), good fun. We definitely made a point of going to the Bowling Club, because the only reason we ever watch the Commonwealth Games is to see the Norfolk Island Lawn Bowls team march in the opening ceremony! Fairly sure they field other events these days (pistol shooting seems to ring a bell) but it's Lawn Bowls they're known for.

Lisa

Lumpo31
269871.  Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote

PS - some good books to read include The Pitcairners, by Robert Nicholson, and Fragile Paradise by Glynn Christian. I've another one I can't recall at present, but both deal with the Mutiny, Pitcairn, and Norfolk Islands, and are jolly good reads all round. Glynn Christian is a Kiwi-born chef and foodie (living in Sydney I think, or he may even be in the UK these days), descendant of Fletcher Christian, and he made a trip to Pitcairn several years back.

Lisa

Hugo Rune
269950.  Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:
I hope you find your mate, sounds like you're heading in the rihgt direction! There's a Jeff Brown listed in the directory, but I didn't know if that could be him, as Brown's an island name.

Lisa

I have an inkling it might be BENNETT, Geoff & Lesley, he had a lovely New Zealand wife and Lesley rings a bell there, but I will call the RSL first.

Thanks for the link, and especially the book titles, I'm a book fiend so will find them second hand soon.

Lumpo31
270010.  Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:46 am Reply with quote

Hugo Rune wrote:

I have an inkling it might be BENNETT, Geoff & Lesley, he had a lovely New Zealand wife and Lesley rings a bell there, but I will call the RSL first.

Thanks for the link, and especially the book titles, I'm a book fiend so will find them second hand soon.
Very good! Have fun - I hope you get onto him and have loads of lovely reminiscences (and get to the bottom of why they no longer use "your" communications cable!). Hope you find the books too - I bought them while we were on NI, as I make a point of buying books the places we visit, and they (the Robert Nicholson one in particular) make "un-put-downable" reading.

As an aside - I just checked "The Pitcairners", and Amazon have it for sale, same edition as mine, for the ridiculous sums of between £56 and £100...I think I paid $10AU...you'd be better off importing it from NI...

Lisa

Quick edit - if you really *did* want to think about importing it from NI, this is the e-mail address for their bookshop, "The Golden Orb" - golden.orb@norfolk.nf

Hugo Rune
270208.  Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote

I have just found "The Pitcairners" for £5.27 +pp
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sortby=3&sts=t&tn=The+Pitcairners&x=76&y=18

Lumpo31
270271.  Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Hugo Rune wrote:
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sortby=3&sts=t&tn=The+Pitcairners&x=76&y=18

Ah! Very good! For that price, you can't go wrong (although having said that, shipping is from Oz, so who knows how much it would cost you in the end!). If you get it, let me know what you think. I'm inspired to get mine out again - I last read it when I was pregnant with Lumplet No. 4, and he's just about 2...so it's definitely time for another perusal.

On a similar theme, "The Fatal Shore" by Robert Hughes. It's mostly about the settlement of Australia, and Hughes is a prat, but there's some wrenching stuff about the penal colonies on NI.

Lisa

Hugo Rune
274740.  Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote

Lisa,

I finally got to speak to Geoff Bennet on NI, and he is not the Geoff I was looking for, he is a kiwi.

The Geoff I was looking for is called Geoff Jenkins, and he left the Island about 10 or 12 years ago.

Thats me stumped, I don't know anyone else on the Island to contact.

FYI, if you have skype, it seems to have difficulty connecting to NI, it came back with the message "incorrect number", but when I tried it on my landline it was okay.

But that was fun, just a pity I can't connect via skype.

Lumpo31
276277.  Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote

Hugo Rune wrote:
Lisa,

I finally got to speak to Geoff Bennet on NI, and he is not the Geoff I was looking for, he is a kiwi.

The Geoff I was looking for is called Geoff Jenkins, and he left the Island about 10 or 12 years ago.

Thats me stumped, I don't know anyone else on the Island to contact.

FYI, if you have skype, it seems to have difficulty connecting to NI, it came back with the message "incorrect number", but when I tried it on my landline it was okay.

But that was fun, just a pity I can't connect via skype.

Good to know you had fun anyway - what a shame it wasn't the Geoff you wanted!

I've never used skype - friends of ours in Oz tried to get us to sign up for it, but we're wary of things from out of Russia. Not sure if it still comes from there, but we're still not using it, mostly because we tend to prefer e-mail to talking on the phone anyway. Seems whenever we talk to people on the phone it's all "what? What did you say?" and running out of things to say, and then saying thing. At least with e-mail (and indeed, snail-mail) you can formulate your thoughts before you press send.

I bet it was nice though, talking to someone on NI - did they have any idea about the communications cable and why they don't use it any more? I would imagine they'd have a limited life, perhaps?

Lisa

suze
276371.  Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote

I've nothing to add to the debate on Norfolk Island, but in the interests of pure pedantry must point out that Skype is not now and never has been based in Russia.

Its founders were a Swede and a Dane, the company was originally based in Estonia, and its corporate headquarters are now in Luxembourg.

Lumpo31
276516.  Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I've nothing to add to the debate on Norfolk Island, but in the interests of pure pedantry must point out that Skype is not now and never has been based in Russia.

Its founders were a Swede and a Dane, the company was originally based in Estonia, and its corporate headquarters are now in Luxembourg.

Thanks suze. Still don't want to sign up for it though, doesn't make me any less wary of using the telephone!

fletchni
634631.  Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:
Hugo Rune wrote:

Ah! Very good! For that price, you can't go wrong (although having said that, shipping is from Oz, so who knows how much it would cost you in the end!). If you get it, let me know what you think. I'm inspired to get mine out again - I last read it when I was pregnant with Lumplet No. 4, and he's just about 2...so it's definitely time for another perusal.

On a similar theme, "The Fatal Shore" by Robert Hughes. It's mostly about the settlement of Australia, and Hughes is a prat, but there's some wrenching stuff about the penal colonies on NI.

Lisa
Hi, You can get the "PITCAIRN MISCELLANY" POSTED TO YOUR HOME ADDRESS. It is published at adamstown, Pitcairn Island and Sub Editors are the Children of pitcairn School:
The following site shoild give you a free sample of one of the 2007 papers.
http://www.miscellany.pn/samples/July2007/July%202007%20web%20version.html

fletchni

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2