View previous topic | View next topic

Beetles

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sophie J
6288.  Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:32 am Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:
Fireflies and glow-worms are neither flies nor worms. They are beetles.

Glow-worms are female fireflies*.

The photoluminescent glow of fireflies and glow-worms can be switched on and off in a series of synchronized flashes.

The survival of the glow worm is under threat from light pollution. There are fewer and fewer dark places in Britain, making it harder for males to see the females that have lit up to attract them. Consequently, less and less baby glow worms will be born. Astronomers say that 'dark Britain' is 27% smaller than in the 1990s.

s: BBC Wildlife Magazine, March 2004

pleasantlydifferent
23628.  Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote

dingleberry wrote:
I know youve covered the fact that there are millions of species of beetle, but just to press the point - if single examples of every plant and animal species were placed in a row every 5th species would be a beetle (and every 10th a weevil).

how would that wrk? because wouldnt the tenth species be the second fifth? sorry, i dont get it..

eggshaped
23638.  Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:41 am Reply with quote

Charles Darwin once lost a girlfriend, so the story goes, due to the fact that he would rather spend the summer categorising his beetles than with his in-laws.

dr.bob
23693.  Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:58 am Reply with quote

pleasantlydifferent wrote:
how would that wrk? because wouldnt the tenth species be the second fifth? sorry, i dont get it..

beetle weevil other other other beetle other other other other beetle weevil other other etc.

pleasantlydifferent
23730.  Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:56 pm Reply with quote

thnx

Octavia
23767.  Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:48 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Charles Darwin once lost a girlfriend, so the story goes, due to the fact that he would rather spend the summer categorising his beetles than with his in-laws.

Wouldn't we all, frankly. I only wish I'd been able to come up with half such a good excuse the last time I had lunch with Mr O's parents.

eggshaped
25263.  Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:49 am Reply with quote

Weevil News:

Quote:
Ever think your spouse is turning you grey before your time? Well things are very different for a beetle being studied by Swedish evolutionary biologists. They have found that some male bean weevils can slow down the ageing process in their mates simply by having sex with them.

Female weevils (Acanthoscelides obtectus) live longer when mated with males that have been bred to reproduce later in life, report researchers at Uppsala University. By supplying a cocktail of age-defying chemicals with their sperm, the males stop their mates dying off before they have had the chance to produce a large family. "The males are promoting their own selfish interests by being the good guys in this case," explains Göran Arnqvist, a member of the study team. "It benefits males if their mates live longer."

Nature

Gray
25266.  Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:17 am Reply with quote

Hence the phrase "this should put some life in her".

Sorry.

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5