View previous topic | View next topic

blue parking badges

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

EducateYourself
829449.  Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote

I know this is an older thread, but I felt the need to chime in with my opinion. I happened to discover this thread while doing a search for disability stickers. As someone who uses a wheelchair, I have to say that I agree about 99%. The reason I say 99% instead of 100% is because not all disabilities are visible. People with COPD and internal conditions that limit physical activity should be able to have that spot reserved.

With that said, there should be varying degrees of disability that require a parking pass. Mental disabilities don't require you to park closer to your destinations. Perhaps a new sticker should be created for those with severe disabilities. Sure would help for me!

Last edited by EducateYourself on Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

dr.bob
829499.  Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:39 am Reply with quote

I saw a sign above the disabled parking spaces when I was recently on holiday in Italy (a quick google search reveals it's been adopted by quite a few ragions around the country):

It reads "You want my space? Then take my disability!"

soup
829505.  Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:26 am Reply with quote

EducateYourself wrote:
The reason I say 99% instead of 100% is because not all disabilities are visible.

My youngest son is like that, unless you actually studied him or talked to him he looks like a normal healthy 17 year old you would never guess he is working on (the equivalent of ) 30% of one lung and has severe problems walking more than 100 yards and can't stand for more than a couple of minutes. The walking and standing problems are caused by painful joints themselves a side-effect of his hypermobility

He needs his blue badge but when people see me (healthyish) and this strapping six foot laddie getting out of a car that itself is in a disabled place...

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2