View previous topic | View next topic

QI talk forum error messages

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

suze
419679.  Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote

The pictures are all links as well, in fact. While phpBB does offer an addon enabling attachments to be added to posts - which would mean that pictures could be stored locally - it's never been implemented on this site. Which is probably just as well, since even without them the site runs pretty close to the space allocated to it.

I don't know the precise numbers or the costs involved, but I do know that the IT Elf occasionally has cause for concern about the amount of space taken up by these forums. That is precisely why the "pruning" exercise is needed from time to time.

If anyone wanted to make a serious offer along the lines of the quote reproduced above, I'm sure the IT Elf would be happy to talk in more technical terms than I can!

bobwilson
419681.  Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote

I'd be interested in posting a quote - especially since you're not hosting the pictures. Seems to me that there's not much more than text involved. I'd be interested in getting details - and I'm fairly sure my own "elves" could get the costs down below "several hundred pounds a month".

barbados
419730.  Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote

I think the several hundreds pounds was to include hosting images and videos. It was still rather a excessive figure mind you.

dr.bob
419827.  Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:09 am Reply with quote

Current cost of hosting the QI site is $17.95 per month (as it's based in the US). Given the current exchange rate, that works out as 10.37 per month.

If anyone can offer a similar or cheaper hosting option based here in the UK, I'd be very interested to hear about it. For my own ends, if not for the QI site itself :)

barbados
419847.  Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote

Nothing to do with the poiint really but I have found that UK based webhosts are not the most reliable.

zomgmouse
459267.  Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quote

Is it just me or is there something wrong with the search function?

samivel
459272.  Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:42 am Reply with quote

You'll have to be slightly more specific than that.

zomgmouse
459275.  Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:45 am Reply with quote

Hmm.
Don't worry.

Certain words don't yield results, though I know they're there- perhaps there are simply too many results? Try "help" or "nothing".

suze
459415.  Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote

Ah now then, I do know the answer to that one.

Many readers will remember that at the time we had the space crisis some months back, the search facility was disabled for some days. That's because every search that you do gets stored somewhere and takes up space. In order to reinstate the search but use less space, the IT Elf set up a list of words which the search ignores. Accordingly, it doesn't find words like "help".

zomgmouse
459564.  Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote

Thanks.
The problem is, what if I need to find (for example) the song "Help!" by The Beatles to ensure it hasn't been used in a turn? Or the word "nothing" for some unknown purpose?

Doesn't matter, thanks for your help.

suze
459666.  Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Yea sorry zomg, I'm afraid the forum search won't help very much with questions such as those.

You could try this Google based search as well; I've not used it a great deal so I don't know how well it works for common words. That one was written by a guy named Kieron Creagh who used to frequent these forums.

Sebastian flyte
467257.  Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote

I got the usual critical error message again, are we full again??

nostradamus
467264.  Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Ah now then, I do know the answer to that one.

Many readers will remember that at the time we had the space crisis some months back, the search facility was disabled for some days. That's because every search that you do gets stored somewhere and takes up space. In order to reinstate the search but use less space, the IT Elf set up a list of words which the search ignores. Accordingly, it doesn't find words like "help".

it also won't search the word Book or didn't last time I tried :Edit: yep book isn't a result.

suze
467267.  Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote

Sebastian flyte wrote:
I got the usual critical error message again, are we full again??

We shouldn't be - last time a figure was mentioned to me, we weren't anticipating a space problem in the immediate future. More likely that the server is feeling a bit wobbly after Christmas!

nostradamus
467276.  Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote

I have also just had the critical error message.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next