View previous topic | View next topic

Lots of sausages

Page 1 of 1

nanookofthenorth
252010.  Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote

On p.144 the esteemed tome supplies the information the 85 billion tonnes of pork is consumed annually. I believe that the population of the earth is about 6 1/2 billion so that makes it about 13 tonnes of pig product each.
Now, I'm the last one to turn down a full English but my consumption of maybe 1/2lb sausages and 1/2lb bacon a month just ain't gonna make much of a dent. Could someone please eat the rest of my share? This of course makes no allowance for that large part of the human race who do not eat pork or indeed any meat at all. So if they make up (guess) 1/3 of the population then this boosts personal consumption to ~20 tonnes p.a.
The other implication is that the average pig must weigh in at at least 85 tonnes if they were all slaughtered in one year. As this is obviously not the case then each pig must weigh considerably more. This directly contradicts the case for the elephant being the second largest mammal...

Fry-up for me tomorrow then.

Hans Mof
252083.  Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote

On first view this looked to me like a mix up of long and short scale billions. A quick browse for the quoted numbers though, seems to suggest that this is just a rather dull typo. The worldwide pork consumption in 2006 was 98.9 million tonnes. With a world population of 6.6 thousand million that makes a meagre 15 kg per capita. China, surprisingly (at least to me) and, unsurprisingly, sausage-nation Germany have a strong effect with 40 kg per head per year. However, the Danish are the biggest porkers of them all with 73.7 kg per person. The full British breakfast is only good for 25 kg.

themoog
252087.  Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:59 am Reply with quote

nanookofthenorth wrote:
This directly contradicts the case for the elephant being the second largest mammal...

Why should this be true?

Tas
252195.  Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote

Quote:
This directly contradicts the case for the elephant being the second largest mammal...

I'll assume you are lumping all the large whales into one group, ahead of the pachyderms???

:-)

Tas

Page 1 of 1