View previous topic | View next topic

Chameleon

Page 1 of 1

gmroughan
251348.  Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote

A completely blind chameleon will still take on the colors of its environment.

Tas
251351.  Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote

Source, please.

:-)

Tas

CB27
251358.  Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote

Wasn't there summat about chameleons on QI where Stepehen said they don't change colours to suit their environments, rather they change them to suit their moods?

smiley_face
251360.  Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote

Chameleons don't really take on the colour of their environment.* Their colour changes according to their mood, the temperature and light intensity. These things are not detected by the chameleon's eyes, so naturally, the chameleon will be able to change colour even though it's blind.

*Although some octopuses and flatfish do in fact do this.

S: Encyclopedia Britannica Online

Village~Idiot
252471.  Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote

Shame they don't change colour for their background... It was a nice thought.

But on the first series of QI it was said that it was to suit their mood...

King of Quok
252529.  Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote

The name for the lizard comes from the Greek words for 'on the ground' and 'lion', though the Panther chameleon has a lovely binomial name, Furcifer pardalis, 'pardalis' meaning 'like a leopard' in Latin and 'furcifer' meaning a 'rogue', making it a 'leopard-like scoundrel'. I've no idea what naughtiness it perpetrated to earn such a name.

samivel
252593.  Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote

Deflowering maidens and the like, I expect.

scottydog
264173.  Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote

If said Chameleon be in tree and in a leafy mood, then surely it will change to suit the environment- assuming the temperature is ok...

Rai Lord
402506.  Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:56 am Reply with quote

I just think 'mood' was an incorrect choice of word to describe the biochemical drive. But the cool thing is when they get wounded the spots of attack turn black. "my family and other animals"

AcinonyxScepticus
609926.  Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote

It is true that chameleons change their colour according to mood, it is thought to be the primary evolutionary driver for the ability to change colour (Stuart-Fox, D., & Moussalli, A. [2008]. Selection for Social Signalling Drives the Evolution of Chameleon Colour Change, PLoS Biology)

However, it is also true that chameleons have been observer to change colour to match their environment (Stuart-Fox, D., Moussalli, A., & Whiting, M. [2008]. Predator-specific camouflage in chameleons, Biology Letters). In this case it is a beneficial secondary ability based on the mood adaptation which has proved beneficial.

This article by Michael Meadon has all the relevant links to the original scientific studies into the phenomenon - Chameleons DO change their colour to blend in with their environment.

I was shocked to find this out today as I thought the forfeit in Season 1 was well designed for a trap.

TaoistYang
1317519.  Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:04 am Reply with quote

Chameleons do change according to mood. To clarify, broadly speaking...

They have evolved to be the colours that suite their environment with most leaf-dwelling species being a more green hue and terrestrial/bark-dwelling species tending towards a browner base colouration.

When hungry... they will colour up with a higher contrasting camouflage patterns which helps them hunt more effectively, disguising them from both predators and prey. Some species have more than one 'outfit.'

When angry/frisky... they will pull out the bright colours as warning or display. Again... outfits may vary for purpose. :-)

When stressed... they will dull down and darken. Unfortunately this process is also accompanied by a release of chemicals/hormones in the system, which, in acute/chronic/sensitive cases can lead to the animal's demise. :-(

[Check out...
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rsbl.2008.0173
https://www.livescience.com/50096-chameleons-color-change.html
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00265-014-1713-z
]

Page 1 of 1