View previous topic | View next topic

F*** (Please read before deleting)

Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Moosh
485898.  Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote

QiScorpion wrote:
(a friend's personal message on msn)= Stupidly high unit morale is stupidly high.

Don't you just love tautology?

That example isn't tautologous, as your friend's meaning would not have been truly conveyed by just "unit morale is stupidly high", as he was (I assume consciously) using the meme of sentences of the form <verb> <noun> is <same verb>.

suze
486006.  Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
It's not gained common currency yet, but a common one when I was at university, and used to this day among friends of mine from the same era, was osmog. Which stood for oh sweet mother of god and which is pronounced oz-mog. As you can imagine, it's an exclamation of surprise or disbelief, or sometimes contempt.

I rather like that. I've been known to use "MMOG" (Mary Mother of God) online - very Catholic of me I know! I've never spoken it as a word though; it doesn't really lend itself.

Posital
486020.  Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Hey - I found the origin of the "c" word - it was in Wiki all along:

Quote:
It [The river Kennet] was formerly known as the "Cunnit". Local historian Michael Dames claims the name is related to the word "cunt", though it is more likely derived from the nearby Roman settlement of Cunetio (now Mildenhall).[2][3] Following this idea it may be related with the "cynetes" a very ancient people.

So the "c" word was the original name of Mildenhall... it all becomes clear...

suze
486035.  Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote

See post 81252 and the post which follows it for more on "Kennet" and "cunt".

zomgmouse
486149.  Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote

I've always remembered that an olden form of "cunt" was "queynte". Does "quaint" come from this as well?

'yorz
486409.  Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote

*sulks*
Nobody said anything about all the FUs that I found. Well, I think they're funny. There.
*blows unaudible raspberry*

Rudolph Hucker
486416.  Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote

On a general note, two things puzzle me about posting styles:

1) What is the point of posting in microscopic fonts? Either the posting is meant to be read or it isn't. Or is there a deeper reason that I have missed?

2) The practice of whiting out (whited out) is confusing. Typically, this is used on the basis of 'it's whited out in case you'll find it offensive' or 'it's whited out in case you don't want to know the answer yet'. Yet nobody can resist highlighting such text as soon as it's encountered. I think this is a waste of white ink.

'yorz
486418.  Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote

Rudolph, as far as I know, undercases tend to be used when you kinda mutter under your breath.

No idea how to blank out text. That still escapes me.

Southpaw
486419.  Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote

I can't see any situation where saying 'OSMOG!' is better than saying 'Oh, sweet mother of god!'. It just makes you sound like a right nerd. IMHO, nothing compares to the pithiness of 'Sweet Jesus!'.

If you want to add some quirkiness I can recommend 'Christ on a bike!', which can be extended with the addition of a 'fucking' before bike. As it were.

I see there is a Panorama next week on swearing in television. Personally I think people should grow up - they're only words, and you're big boys and girls. If you're concerned about your children hearing it, don't let them watch it. Fuckwits.

As for blanking text, eeyoresmum, simply highlight the text, and choose white from the font colour drop down above. It's the blank line above black.

soup
486489.  Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote

Southpaw wrote:
nothing compares to the pithiness of 'Sweet Jesus!'.

I personally favour "AH FUR" the fuck's sake need not be uttered people realise it is there without hearing it.

Rudolph Hucker
486528.  Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote

eeyoresmum wrote:
Rudolph, as far as I know, undercases tend to be used when you kinda mutter under your breath.

Why don't you just mutter under your breath?

'yorz
486530.  Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote

I did.

suze
486590.  Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
I've always remembered that an olden form of "cunt" was "queynte". Does "quaint" come from this as well?

No it doesn't; the word "quaint" comes ultimately from the Latin verb cognoscere (to know). Its meaning was originally something like "ingenious"; the modern day meaning dates only from the eighteenth century.

Mind you, spelling wasn't rigid in Chaucer's day, and he did also use quaint as an alternate spelling of queynte. As, perhaps, did Andrew Marvell.

I discover that you posted a little while ago about his poem To his coy mistress. That poem includes the lines:

"Then worms shall try
That long preserv'd virginity,
And your quaint honour turn to dust"

Is the use of "quaint" there a pun on "cunt"?

MockFerret
486604.  Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote

I'd say probably. I was certainly told that by my English lecturer last year, although that's hardly a reliable source by itself.

However, a quick glance at the OED does show that the "quaint" spelling was still in use up to the 17th century, although it doesn't cite Marvell. Still, in thaat context, it does look very suspicious.

Jenny
486936.  Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote

Think also of Hamlet's reference to 'country matters', which some have claimed to be a reference to the c word.

Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next