View previous topic | View next topic

OK, so I'm an utterly pedantic linguo-techno-geek ...

Page 1 of 1

suze
247408.  Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote

... but if one enters the prize quiz via the online form, isn't the required answer to Q12 technically wrong?

Requiring the technically right answer would have made the competition very much more difficult and would have led to much anguish on the public forums. Therefore, if a conscious decision was made here, then I can understand why. Would have been fun though!

Flash
248160.  Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote

Sorry, Suze - I don't know about this at all and I don't know if anyone else is paying attention. I think a PM to Gray would be yr best bet if this needs to be escalated.

Bunter
248323.  Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:39 am Reply with quote

Suze - the answer is pretty straightforward:

http://www.baylor.edu/russian/index.php?id=10374

suze
248417.  Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote

Ah but you see Bunter, it's not as simple as that. I was well aware that the answer to the question was Е, but that's rather the problem - it ought to be Е and not E.

Tis all to do with rather geeky stuff, but to be strictly accurate the character required as the answer should have been

U+0415 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER IE (that is to say, Е - on an English language keyboard, this letter can't be entered directly)

But in fact, entering that character into the form shows up as a wrong answer; to get a right answer shown one must enter

U+0045 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER E (that is to say, an E obtained by pressing Shift-E on an English language keyboard)

A point of pedantry undoubtedly, but then the sort of people who are likely to enter QI competitions are a pedantic lot! As far as I'm aware dr.bob and I are the only people who've spotted it - but it would have made the competition more fun! (And led to much anguish in the public forums, as noted above.)

Thanks for your reply though Flash, I'll alert Gray to it - it's not a crisis so much as a missed opportunity to make the quiz more difficult in a tricksy sort of a way. And after all, making things difficult in tricksy sorts of ways is the kind of thing we do at QI!

(Incidentally, this sort of thing is one of the easiest ways to set up fake websites. Click onto http://www.qі.com and observe that there is no such site - it's because I used a Cyrillic i there rather than a Roman one.)

dr.bob
251687.  Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
But in fact, entering that character into the form shows up as a wrong answer

Which I think is the real problem. I'm all for making allowance for people who are unable to work their PC well enough to enter the character that they know is correct, but when some of us do take the time to enter the character correctly, to then be told we're wrong is a bit annoying.

I'd've thought someone as clever as Gray could set up the web form so that it recognises both answers as equally valid.

While we're at it, I trust you have an excellent source for Q.18, some native Finnish speaker perhaps, just in case of complaints of inaccuracy. When I did some digging around for the answer, I found the word used to describe the part of a knitted hat that covers the ear or a tag attached to the ear of a cow.
(N.B. you'll probably want to delete this message if you make this forum publicly available before April 8th)

Given that "korvalappustereos" refers to a "walkman", I'm assuming the word might have some complicated meaning referring vaguely to things attached to ears.

Walterst
1180568.  Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote

I do classify myself as a Gamer and an Otaku.
As for Nerd or Geek, I dont think I really fall inside those brackets. Im just not nerdy or geeky enough. :P

Page 1 of 1