View previous topic | View next topic

Iceland

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

dengsinn
892154.  Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Of course it's always about the financial aspect (costs vs. returns), which has more or less been very much against railways. In recent times the focus has turned more towards the natural aspect - that a railway-system would ruin the landscape. Which might have an undesirable effect on the tourist industry, an industry that seems to be constantly growing.

suze
892160.  Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote

A railway all around the island would be exceptionally difficult to build and would never make money.

But since two thirds of the entire population lives within seven miles of Reykjavk, wouldn't a light railway from Reykjavk to Hafnarfjrur make rather a lot of sense? Or is the population small enough that the existing urban bus system provides ample capacity?

dengsinn
892191.  Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote

There has never been any realistic talk of a railway all around the island, it's far too large to be financially feasible. The main idea is to have a railway between the center of Reykjavk and Keflavk airport (which might be among the smallest international airports in the world). But when the debate was in it's infancy it was usually about a possible railway between Reykjavk and Akureyri or just along the southern coast, between Reykjavk (of course) and Vk in Mrdal.
A light railway from Reykjavk to Hafnarfjrur does actually not make that much of a sense because the bus system does provide ample capacity. There is a general dissatisfaction with the bus system and it's ample capacity is mainly due to the fact that there are so many cars on the road. While everyone are driving around in their own cars the need for a more efficient public transport does not rise.
I feel that I do need to point out that Iceland is actually larger than Ireland (square miles).

Zebra57
892242.  Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Iceland has formally begun its route to EU membership. However there is a potential controversy as reported in the press, over an EU grant to Iceland being made, while two billion pounds is still owed to Britain (following the banking collapse on the island).

http://www.eubusiness.com/news-eu/enlarge-iceland.5q6

http://www.welcomeurope.com/news-europe/iceland-receive-pre-accession-funding-6544+6444.html

suze
892250.  Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote

Iceland shouldn't have too much trouble in meeting most of the criteria for EU membership. In most respects, it is a first world democracy, and the concerns over (for instance) human rights which are a problem with Turkey's application for membership will not arise.

Whaling is going to be a problem though, and I get the impression that if Icelanders are asked to vote in a referendum to end whaling they won't go for it.

But the biggest problem is that the UK and the Netherlands will veto Icelandic membership until they've had their money back. And since Iceland appears to have no intention whatsoever of paying, why is it progressing its application for EU membership any further?

dengsinn
892487.  Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote

All right, yes, Iceland is on route to EU membership and there doesn't seem to be any problems with that process regarding the UK-Netherlands situation. But there are some differences and debates about a few aspects regarding the EU membership. Especially those concerning agriculture and the fishing industry. That's where the Icelandic government will try and hold it's ground.
About that money the UK and the Netherlands are due, they will get it - the old Landsbanki's assets will be enough for that (not familiar with proper English terms in economics). What the UK and the Netherlands are after are the interests, as if Iceland had been borrowing that money. Frankly, when going over the agreements that Icelandic public refused, the difference between best scenario and worst scenario (from an Icelandic perspective) was too great. Then when trying to figure out the possibilities of things going this way or that, things started to look really risky.
Anyway, somehow these two don't seem to clash. At least not enough to stop Iceland progressing further towards EU membership. There is some faint memory prodding at my brain, about some statement, from the EU, that those Iceland vs. UK-Netherland disputes would not affect Iceland's application for EU membership.

suze
892491.  Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote

Well yes, the Netherlands and the UK do want the interest, because they did lend Iceland the money. No, no money was sent from London and Den Haag to Reykjavk - but instead, London and Den Haag paid out the money on the understanding that they would later get it back from Iceland.

The matter won't come into the discussions when the EU management considers whether or not Iceland meets the criteria for membership. But once it has decided that the criteria are indeed met, there is then a vote of all the member states (currently 27, will be 28 by then with the addition of Croatia).

Every single one has to vote in favour, or Iceland will not be accepted. And as things stand, the Netherlands and the UK have said that they will vote against.

All the same, it's going to be a minimum of three years before we get this far - and I expect that some kind of agreement will have been reached with the Netherlands and the UK by then. (Although it would presumably still have to pass a referendum in Iceland.)

Whaling could prove a more difficult issue to resolve. Britain has already declared that it would vote against Icelandic membership on this issue alone, and so have a number of other member states.

Zebra57
892745.  Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote

Access to what Iceland would consider Icelandic fishing grounds is likely to cause serious problem unless the Common Fisheries Policy is radically altered.

As a new member would Iceland be obliged to adopt the Euro?

Zebra57
1129561.  Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote

Iceland may have a problem with this year's Eurovision Song Contest. The lawyers who scrutinise the vote of the Iceland jury could be on strike.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2015/04/14/icelands-eurovision-participation-jeopardy

gruff5
1129596.  Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:01 am Reply with quote

dengsinn wrote:
... Iceland has NO railways and NO railway-stations.

Initially I thought the second part of this sentence was superfluous. Until I considered that it was obvious to have a railway station in Reykjavik - the question of where to put the other one is not.

Alfred E Neuman
1129598.  Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
dengsinn wrote:
... Iceland has NO railways and NO railway-stations.

Initially I thought the second part of this sentence was superfluous. Until I considered that it was obvious to have a railway station in Reykjavik - the question of where to put the other one is not.

There's something I'm not getting here...

Zebra57
1129674.  Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote

Dartmouth had a railway station without a direct railway line except via a ferry.

Flanners86
1203439.  Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote

I've just returned from a wander via Iceland and I can confirm that as of last week the Reykjavik Penis Museum (or Icelandic Phallological Institute) is still standing proudly on Laugavegur Road in central Reykjavik. Exhibits included mammal's penises from every species found in Iceland including humans, after a search chronicled in the film "The Final Member" led to 2 volunteers offering their 'services'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2318701/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

Highlights included casts of the penises (penii?) of the entire silver medal winning 2008 Icelandic handball team, a 6 foot Sperm Whale penis and various pieces of driftwood which, when viewed from certain angles, looked a bit like gentleman's items

Just up the road is the Lebowski Bar, a burger joint and pub dedicated to the film The Big Lebowski with every item on the menu being named after characters from the film. A beer costs approx. 10 ($10 currently!) for a pint so bring your wallets/mysterious briefcases full of cash.

AlmondFacialBar
1203458.  Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote

Penes...

Flanners86
1203526.  Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote

They really should have covered that in the museum!

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next