474833.  Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote

AnneB wrote:
Tres cool.

Oh dear. Ice afraid that was snow joke.

Bondee
474836.  Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
It's a UK frozen food chain.

And the only reason that Kerry Katona is still in the public eye.

Bastards!

Sadurian Mike
474840.  Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Mike, you and I have been to Iceland (metaphorically) before. We discovered that while the armed forces of Iceland are restricted to the coast guard and the police, the Icelandic coast guard and police have seen service in Afghanistan and Iraq!

Found the post.
post 325058

Sadurian Mike
474841.  Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
Sadurian Mike wrote:
It's a UK frozen food chain.

And the only reason that Kerry Katona is still in the public eye.

Bastards!

You think she should be frozen out?

CB27
475083.  Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote

The irony is that one of the big reasons for Woolies' downfall is their banks coming from Iceland and calling in on their debts, yet now it's Iceland which is saving some of their stores.

Zebra57
697084.  Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote

Iceland is in the news causing chaos to our air traffic this time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1266038/Iceland-volcano-erupts-second-time-month-forcing-new-evacuation-tourists.html

Zebra57
697090.  Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:17 am Reply with quote

Laki - Iceland - 1783

The eruption of Laki volcano in 1783 freed trapped volcanic gases which were carried by the prevailing winds over to Britain and Europe. In the Britain many died of gas poisoning the "silent killer". The volcanic material sent into the air also created the extraordinary red sunsets painted in the 18th-century.

The volcanic eruption, like many others, also influenced the world's climate, as the particles it sent into the atmosphere blocked some of the sun's incoming rays.
As the particles were sent into the atmosphere they blocked some of the heat from the sun resulting in a cooling of the climate virtually wiping out the summer of 1783 across much of Europe and North America.

Extensive crop damage and livestock losses created a famine in Iceland that resulted in the deaths of one-fifth of the population and caused starvation in Northern Europe.

The American statesman Benjamin Franklin wrote of a "constant fog" over Europe and North America that year.

Zebra57
701048.  Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote

The eruption of Laki 1783 led to a series of poor harvests. In France there was severe starvation which contributed to the unrest of the Third Estate. Poor harvests led to shortage of bread which was a contributary factor of the civil unrest which led to the French Revolution.

Ian Dunn
714164.  Sun May 30, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote

In Reykjavik, a new political party founded by a comedian has won in the local elections.

The Best Party, founded six months ago by Jon Gnarr, won 34.7% of the vote, beating the Independence Party who had 33.6%. The Best Party now hold six of the fifteen seats in the council.

Key pledges included:

* "Sustainable transparency".
* Free towels at all swimming pools.
* A new polar bear for the city zoo.
* A Disneyland at the airport.
* A "drug-free parliament" by 2020.

Source: BBC

dengsinn
892077.  Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote

I've just heard a recording of the radio show The Unbelievable Truth from March 30th 2009 where one of the topics was Iceland. One of the guests believed it true that Iceland had no railways and Mr. Mitchell said it wasn't, at least not to his knowledge. Mr. Mitchell clearly thought Iceland had railways.

Iceland has NO railways and NO railway-stations.
I ought to know, I live here.

CB27
892084.  Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote

If the question is "Does Iceland have a working railway today?" then the answer is no, but thre have been some railways in Iceland in the past, the last of which was this century during the construction of the Kárahnjúkar Hydropower Plant, and in 2004 Iceland even suffered the first collision between two trains, injuring 3 people.

http://www.sikunews.com/News/Iceland/2460

dengsinn
892098.  Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote

I do know that there have been set up temporary railways during a few constructions. But railways do not feature in the general transportation of Iceland and therefore I believe there are no actual railway-stations. So in general there are no railways in Iceland.
The debate of getting one on the other hand, a one that would become a feature in the general transportation system, started around a 100 years ago, and has cropped up from time to time ever since.

CB27
892112.  Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote

I suppose there would be some logistical problems as well as a question of financial returns :(

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next