View previous topic | View next topic

Fraud/Fakes/Falsehoods/Fakirs

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Flash
322733.  Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote

The posters for Derren Brown's current stage show (which Will is working on) show him dressed as an oriental mystic in a turban.

Jenny
322884.  Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote

Have we ever had him on the show? He might be an interesting guest.

Flash
323392.  Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote

We've tried, but it just never happened.

dr.bob
323529.  Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote

Shame!

Perhaps you need to hypnotise him into accepting.

eggshaped
324475.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote

Around 5000 people have receieved messages asking them to ring Dublin Zoo to talk to Ms C Lion or Mr G Raffe.

Apparantly, if you ring the zoo, you get a message saying:

Quote:
“Welcome to Dublin Zoo. If you are calling to speak to Mr Rory Lion, C Lion, G Raffe or anyone similar, please be aware that you are the victim of a hoax message.

“If this is the case please hang up as this is proving to be a very serious waste of our time and our resources.”

link

Jenny
324577.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be fun to call the zoo and get a recording of that message?

Flash
324598.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote

That's just what they'll want - more publicity for the prank. ;-)

WB
324604.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote

The Irish don't come out of that story too well. Would people in other English speaking countries fall for it?

MatC
324615.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote

It used to be a very common office prank in London in the 1970s - the junior (Mat, as his name might be, to choose an example at random) would have a note left on his desk asking him to ring C. Lyons at such and such a number urgently.

"Hello? can I speak to C. Lyons, please?"
"[Sigh] You do know this is London Zoo, do you?"

Flash
324618.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote

There are several clips on YouTube of people conning airport announcers into saying ludicrous things because they think they're reading out African or Chinese names - same kind of thing, I guess.

suze
324671.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:40 am Reply with quote

Husband tells me that the "office wag" got him with the C Lyon thing at his very first summer vacation job back in 1982. He was also sent to stores to ask the custodian of the cupboard for a "long weight"...

Don't think those gags ever made it to the Pacific Coast. Either that, or my demeanor in those days was such that no one dared tried them on me.

eggshaped
334531.  Mon May 12, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote

re: the archimedes story that is in tonight's script, he didn't actually like taking baths (which is one reason that some people say that the Heureka story is nonsense.)

Plutarch wrote:
Quote:
“oftimes Archimedes’ servants got him against his will to the baths, to wash and anoint him, and yet being there, he would ever be drawing out of the geometrical figures, even in the very embers of the chimney. And while they were anointing of him with oils and sweet savours, with his fingers he drew lines upon his naked body, so far was he taken from himself, and brought into ecstasy or trance, with the delight he had in the study of geometry.”

http://www.vigyanprasar.gov.in/scientists/Archimedes.htm

eggshaped
334540.  Mon May 12, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote

Also, and perhaps more compelling, the story was only recounted 200 years after his death, and he probably wouldn't have had the necessary equipment to make the measurments anyway.

http://www.vigyanprasar.gov.in/scientists/Archimedes.htm

eggshaped
359827.  Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote

Here's another person i've discovered a couple of weeks too late: Princess Caraboo

This was a cobbler's daughter from Devon who arrived in Almondsbury one day, talking a strange language. She was taken in by another cobbler, but would only eat pineapple and slept on the floor - she also prayed to a god called "Allah Tallah".

No-one could understand her, until fortuitously enough a sailor turned up who could understand, and told that she had come from came from the island of Javasu in the Indian Ocean and had been kidnapped by pirates.

Apparantly it was quite famous in the day - unsurprisingly the story was jumped-upon by the tabloid press.

dr.bob
361564.  Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:39 am Reply with quote

Not too late for the annual, presumably.

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next