MatC
233364.  Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:34 am Reply with quote

Quote:
"Get ready to die, your time has come
My life-blood demands vengeance
Your hand is now tainted
And I avow you'll never shoot again
Blood cries for blood."
-- from "Blood Cries for Blood" (Sangu Chiama Sangu)

Quote:
Oct. 2, 2002 -- The success of the HBO series The Sopranos punctuates America's fascination with the Mafia -- or at least, with the Mafia mystique. Now, from the Calabria region of Italy -- home of the 'Ndrangheta, the most secretive and elusive of the Italian Mafias -- comes a CD collection of songs that glorify their violent code of honor.

Quote:
The CD, Il Canto di Malavita (or "Songs of the Criminal Life"), is a compilation of old tunes first sung by some of the original Mafiosi of southern Italy. Despite the graphic nature of the lyrics, or perhaps because of them, the CD is very popular in northern Europe, selling more than 60,000 copies.

Quote:
The melodies originate from archaic Mediterranean traditions, and are often played using archaic instruments -- the lyre, tambourine and zampogna, a primitive goatskin bagpipe.

Woke up this morning ... got myself a goatskin bagpipe ...

S: http://www.npr.org:80/programs/atc/features/2002/oct/mafiamusic/

MatC
293219.  Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote

Folk singer Robb Johnson says he has only ever once been on Andy Kershaw's programme, and that was because they were doing an item on why protest singers were “a dying breed.”

“He wanted to ask me what had happened to all the protest songs. Then the Beeb promptly censored one of the songs I did, cutting out the verse that said that the Pope’s a nazi.”

S: Morning Star, 9 Jan 08.

TheRichTurner
893396.  Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
Quote:
"Get ready to die, your time has come
My life-blood demands vengeance
Your hand is now tainted
And I avow you'll never shoot again
Blood cries for blood."
-- from "Blood Cries for Blood" (Sangu Chiama Sangu)

Quote:
Oct. 2, 2002 -- The success of the HBO series The Sopranos punctuates America's fascination with the Mafia -- or at least, with the Mafia mystique. Now, from the Calabria region of Italy -- home of the 'Ndrangheta, the most secretive and elusive of the Italian Mafias -- comes a CD collection of songs that glorify their violent code of honor.

Quote:
The CD, Il Canto di Malavita (or "Songs of the Criminal Life"), is a compilation of old tunes first sung by some of the original Mafiosi of southern Italy. Despite the graphic nature of the lyrics, or perhaps because of them, the CD is very popular in northern Europe, selling more than 60,000 copies.

Quote:
The melodies originate from archaic Mediterranean traditions, and are often played using archaic instruments -- the lyre, tambourine and zampogna, a primitive goatskin bagpipe.

Woke up this morning ... got myself a goatskin bagpipe ...

S: http://www.npr.org:80/programs/atc/features/2002/oct/mafiamusic/

Presumably if you buy a pirate copy, you'll be supporting organised crime.

Page 1 of 1