View previous topic | View next topic

heaven or hell @ facebook . site

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

rjmyth
236160.  Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Q: am i generally ignorant of Facebook?

theres alot of culture nowadays about people using sites such as facebook and myspace and bebo etc etc....etc etc..etc.

myself however, i dont tend to use them. i have a bebo account only because my girlfriend wanted me to join so i can post a questionairre for her, but thats it.

however a few of my friends are saying its really great and so on but i just dont see why it would be worth using. i only look at qi because lets face it your all great, and then the bbc if theirs any interesting news. i just dont quite see what facebook and its style sites have to offer me.

anybody sway me to or away from facebook sites?

Neotenic
236165.  Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote

I really only have a Facebook profile so that I can play the occasional game of Scrabble* - and point and laugh at the people I went to school with.

There's an awful lot of frilly twaddle that you can do with Facebook, but barely any of it is mandatory.

I also have a Myspace profile, but 90% of my 'friends' are bands I like, and its a great way of finding out when they have some new tunes coming out, or new tour dates.

So although these sites are largely populated by teenagers, you don't have to act like a teenager to get something good out of them.

*If anyone wants a game, drop me a PM.

Davini994
236199.  Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Facebook is quite a good idea if, e.g., you live in Leeds and have friends in London. I'm sure I've kept in touch better than I would have without FB.

Tas
236218.  Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Isn't email and things like MSN just as easy?

:-)

Tas

CB27
236235.  Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote

Have to agree with Davini, Faebook is great to keep up with people instead of emails and MSN and the like, it's not just about sending messages to each other, it's about playing games, creating mini forums where you can discuss things, etc.

I like the groups facility where you can meet people with a shared interest, I'm sure there's probably a QI group in there somewhere which I might look up...

m1ndy9876
236252.  Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote

the qi group is actually kinda big there.

see i see myspace as teenager things (like 12-18ish face book is 18onwarls and more "mature" kind of thing. I have both but myspace i hardly use i got pissed at peoples profiles with EVERYTHING on. Although if not careful facebook could be like that.

rjmyth
236275.  Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote

well i have little to no trouble communicating with old school friends over msn. of course i dont communicate with them all but the ones im that bothered about i do.

sounds like their might be a few groups i could join up to.

i recently lost one of my friends... he's now a facebook and ALL, literally all the other sites like it, excessive regular. i havent seen him in months even though i visit his house every few weeks because im friends with his brother aswell. hes become a real zombie. does that happen much?

ColinM
236303.  Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote

I've never looked at Facebook. There are really precious few of my former schoolmates I would consider voluntarily seeing again, never mind putting effort into contacting them. That said I did get some sort of invitation to it once, but they wanted my email address before I could see anything on the site. What cheek!

As you may have guessed, I'm yet to be convinced about the whole thing.

rjmyth
236343.  Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:55 pm Reply with quote

me either as of yet. i got an invitation back to my college from a few months ago last week, anyone im bothered about seeing i do anyway when i visit old home in notts every few weeks. and if i ever have to visit anyone from comprehensive school im going to go all rage on everyone i hated.

Jenny
236945.  Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote

Neo - I'm on Facebook. You can find me in the QI group along with other QIers you'll no doubt recognize. You are welcome to challenge me to a game of Scrabble :-)

dr.bob
236982.  Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:29 am Reply with quote

Is there anyone here not playing scrabble on facebook? (apart from me, that is)

Since I only have a facebook account for work purposes, I'm not sure I should use it for playing scrabble. Then again, could I be arsed to sign up for a second facebook account? Ahh, decisions, decisions.

samivel
237134.  Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Is there anyone here not playing scrabble on facebook? (apart from me, that is)

Me.

Flash
237215.  Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote

That's a triple-letter score for the M and all the points that were already on the board for the "tamorphosise" which you added the M and the E to, plus all the points for the "asterize" which you turned to "easterize" with the E, comes to .... 43 points. Well done!

Half-Daft
237251.  Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote

Facebook seemed a good idea for keeping in contact with friends far away - except none of my friends far away are actually on the damn thing.

I was my boss initially who persuaded me to sign up - so as a result the majority of my "friends" on there are work colleagues who almost all sit within a few hundred yards of me.

rjmyth
237352.  Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote

well scrabble is jolly ood fun i must say. not sure i im any good at it havent played it much really. guess i can give it a go. is it more interesting on the qi section than here??

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next