View previous topic | View next topic

Fan Fiction...

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

austinallegro
311050.  Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote

...goes back further than you might think. It all started with unauthorized sequels to books, such as Don Quixote and Pride and Predjudice (the subject of over 20 mind-numbing unauthorized sequels) and through appreciation societies and newsletters based on that book e.g. Sherlock Holmes.
I admit this may not seem that quite interesting, and you're right.
I want to do so because I wanted to showcase this awful, awful work that I found on fanfiction.net.

Quote:
you migt notice i got better at spelling this time so it should be a good story...WELL LETS GET STARTING!!

once upon a time (SPELLED IT RIGHT FUKHEADS) there was a us army soljer named petey mcflannigan.he was marine core 3rd brigade and a cornel.all his men lookd up to him becuas he was such a good leeder.

'captan petey wat are we gona do?!' 1st luteniant jimmy sayd as the bullets rained down on them.

'we weill flank right and cach them suprise!!' petey screemd above the fiting.

so they all five of them went to the right of them and shot them. there was a grenade and it blew up blowing jimmy in half.everyone screemed.

'NOOO JIMMY WHY DID YOU DIE' petey and his men screemed.

'im sorry cornel i tried but i lost' jimmy sayd as he die.everyone wanted to cry but they had no time to cry becaus the arestrick had been ordrd on them by the nazi scum.

every1 run for cover!! petey screemed as he jumped under a tabel. seeing a hiding nazi under the table he stabbed the nazi in the face five times with his combat mashetti that he carried wit him at all time. the naizi fite back but he die anyway because nazis are pussys.lol

and so the trilling concosion as peteys scwad fites the evil nazis and they leader hitler.whowill win? find out next chapeter. AND REVEW!

zomgmouse
311246.  Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote

I'm currently trying to make some 'versions' of Little Red Riding Hood as told by various authors (I am thinking Dickens, Vonnegut, STEPHEN FRY!, Douglas Adams and maybe Shakespeare). I have no idea how this will turn out.

soup
311250.  Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote

That is just a horrendous find austin.

Tas
311295.  Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quote

Good luck, Zomg. That sounds like it would be quite good fun.

:-)

Tas

Hummingbird
311307.  Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote

Fan fiction is huge fun. I must admit to penning (or typing) a fan thread a few years back. It had quite a following and ran for months and I can't remember a time when I enjoyed myself more at a keyboard.

Zomg - that sounds a very promising idea.

mckeonj
311355.  Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote

Zomgmouse - try e e cummings style no capital and no punctuation because they were typed by a beetle in the garage who climbed up the wall and jumped off the beam to hit the keys

mikeyfone
311357.  Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:45 am Reply with quote

DAM U! HOW DAER U KRITISIZE MY WERK, FUKHEADS!

I'VE ORDRD AN ARESTRICK ON U NAZI SCUM!

soup
311378.  Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote

Obvious impersonation mikeyphone , hyphen in the right place and too many correctly spelled words .

zomgmouse
311390.  Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote

mikeyfone wrote:
DAM U! HOW DAER U KRITISIZE MY WERK, FUKHEADS!

I'VE ORDRD AN ARESTRICK ON U NAZI SCUM!

I CAN HAS ARESTRICK!

austinallegro
312772.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote

Copying from the 'me-too!' copy of the Book of GI, 'Bears can't run downhill', the fan fiction, unauthorized sequels to Pride and Prejudice are:

Darcy and Elizabeth and Darcy's Pemberley by Francis Morgan.
Mr Darcy Takes a Wife and Darcy and Elizabeth: Nights and days at Pemberley by Linda Berdoll.
The Fitzwilliam Darcy Gentlemen Trilogy by Pamela Aidan (An Asembly such as this, Duty and desire and These three remain)
Trust and Triumph by Norma Gatje-Smith
Mrs Darcy's Dilemna by Diana Birchall
Pemberley by Emma Tenant
The Darcys by Phyllis Furley
Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange
The confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy by Mary Street
Desire and Duty by Ted and Marilyn bader
Conviction by Skylar Burris
Excessively Diverted by Juliette Shapiro
Letters from Pemberley, the First Year by Jane Dawkins
Pamela and More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Samuel Richardson.

Phew. So a general tip, don't do Pride and Prejudice fan fiction you're flogging a lond dead and buried horse.

King of Quok
312805.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote

Is there not a very specific type of fan fiction called, I think slash fiction, which puts well-known male characters from TV shows, films or books into homoerotic situations? I think it's called 'slash' from the backslash used to separate the names so that you'd have, say a Luke Skywalker/Han Solo story. I' think I've heard of it, but I'm scared to look it up in case of what I might turn up!

suze
312824.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote

There is indeed such a genre. It all started with stories focusing on alleged intrigues involving Kirk and Spock, and that particular coupling continues to be the most common topic for such fiction.

As for Pride and Prejudice, it does indeed seem that there are more than sufficient fanfic sequels. And what about straightforward cover versions of it? Bridget Jones's Diary, for a start.

Sebastian flyte
312867.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote

I've heard of that it is a bit odd to say the least.

Tim and I did a short vocal (I avoided oral) version of this involving Father Ted Father Jack and Father Dougal and Mrs Doyle. "Ah go on..." heheheh.

Sobriquet
312964.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote

Well here's a subject I know a bit about, if only by virtue of being a teenage girl and having more than a few friends interested in the subject. Actually, one of them wrote a research paper on the topic recently outlining the history of fanfiction and I believe came to the same conclusion that the first recognizable works of "fanfiction" were stories penned by middle aged female admirers of Jane Austen and other popular authors at the time. Several of my friends are slashfans, in addition to being trekkies (the trekkie bit being something I must also guiltily admit to.) I believe the classic Kirk/Spock pairing is called "Spirk" (hey, at least they didn't go with "Kock"!) Some fanfiction, like the marvelous piece showcased above, is obviously amature, but more proffessional pieces are almost indistinguishable from the real thing. God knows Sherlock Holmes fanfiction has got to be at least as good as The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes (though I have to admit that that's my favorite of all the Holmes canon, just for the absurdity and the fact that it absolutely screams to be slashed. And I quote
Quote:
(Watson is shot in the thigh)
"You're not hurt, Watson? For God's sake, say that you are not hurt!"
It was worth a wound-it was worth many wounds-to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service cultivated in that moment of revelation.
"It's nothing, Holmes. It's a mere scratch.
He had ripped up my trousers with his pocket knife.
"You are right," he cried, with an immense sigh of relief. "It is quite superficial. His face set like flint as he glared at our prisoner, who was sitting up with a dazed face. "By the Lord, it is well for you. If you had killed Watson, you would not have got out of this room alive."

Quoted word-for-word from The Adventure of the Three Garridebs. Tell me that doesn't sound like it came right out of a romance novel.

Sebastian flyte
312997.  Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote

AW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sherlock! AWWWWWWWWWW! It does actually (how lovely).

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next