View previous topic | View next topic

Food

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CB27
281383.  Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote

I'm guessing that one of the shows in this series will be based on Food, and after writing about diets in another section I thought we should come up with some QI questions for this subject, so mine will be this one:

What would a Rastafarian do with a slice of Smoked Salmon?

Cue various jokes, but the answer is they wouldn't eat it. Rastafarians follow a strict diet called Ital (slang for Vital) and part of this diet means they cannot eat fish that are over a foot long (most salmon used will be 28-30 inches long on average), and are not allowed preservatives and salt (salmon is cured in salt before smoking).

They're also not allowed to have any chemicals in their food which is why many will never use an aluminium pot as they believe traces of the metal can go into the food and enter your body.

They have a strict no drugs diet, but are allowed herbs, so marijuana is OK - that'll get a few raised eyebrows :)

suze
281460.  Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote

Now this is odd - this is the second time today that I've encountered some information about Rastafarian dietary rules, and I can't for the life of me remember what the first occasion was.

Am I right in recalling from that earlier occasion that they may eat raw meat but not cooked meat?

EDIT: D'oh - I've just found the first occasion; it was another post by CB27 (post 281368). But hey, at least was I recalling more or less correctly!

Nothing to see here ...

Sadurian Mike
281467.  Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
They have a strict no drugs diet, but are allowed herbs, so marijuana is OK - that'll get a few raised eyebrows :)

It would also bring up a whole debate about when a drug is not a drug. If you take the broadly accepted meaning of being a substance that alters normal bodily function, then pot is both a herb and a drug. If it only refers to processed drugs then I would ask why they smoke cannabis resin too!

samivel
281485.  Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Rastafarianism is commonly held to be a religion, so clearly you're in error trying to find consistency in its rules.

;)

CB27
281789.  Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry Suze, I just wanted to put it separate from that thread.

The idea about drugs is that Rastafarians don't like chemicals, though strictly speaking everything is made of chemicals, but that's their way of accepting natural drugs.

CB27
281810.  Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote

Anyway, another possible question for the show.

How long does it take to make a Popsicle?

Answer is 18 years.

Well, it's a silly answer really, the man who invented the popsicle (Frank Epperson), first created it when he was 11 and he left a mixture of powdered soda and water out on an ice porch, which contained a stir stick. That night, temperatures in San Francisco reached record low temperature and when he woke up the next morning he discovered that it had frozen to the stir stick, creating a fruit flavored ice treat named the epsicle.

It took him another 18 years before he finally decided to sell it to the public and when he patented the idea he called it the Epsicle ice pop, but his kids convinced him to changed the name to Popsicle.

CB27
282544.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote

Why did Frederick the Great employ soldiers to guard his potatoes?

The answer, oddly, is that he wanted the peasants to think they're worth stealing and take them, therefore getting them to grow them and eat them. Potatoes were viewed with suspicion by the Church and most Europeans and many monarchs found it difficult to convince the public to grow and eat this cheap source of food.

When Frederick first issued an order for to grow potaoes to protect against famine the town of Kolberg replied "The things have neither smell nor taste, not even the dogs will eat them, so what use are they to us?".

BTW, as a bit of an aside, did you know that the Incas used the time it takes to boil a potato as a measure of time?

Flash
282559.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote

I like the potato guarding, CB - do you have the source for the story? (I like the Rastafarian stuff too, but my experience is that whenever we pronounce upon cultural matters we always turn out to have misunderstood some aspect of the issue and get letters from cross people).

Davini994
282561.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote

Two fantastic bits of info about potatoes there CB.

It just goes to prove the sleeve note in TBOGI correct!

Wizzard
282582.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote

Posted in Quite Interesting board

Quote:
TubewayAndy wrote:
Honey is the only food that is produced that involves no loss of life of any kind.

Quote:
Quote:
Wizzard wrote: Hmm maybe not, but didn't I read somewhere that it's the only natural food that will never go bad? I can't think of any others unless you count minerals as food.
potential QI?

waits for someone with a klaxon

Still waiting

mckeonj
282604.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote

My granny Nan Shanks used to say: "If it don't go bad, don't eat it."
My grandad John Shanks was a bit of a poacher, and he used to say; "You must eat what you kill".
Both sound a bit daft, until you think about it, then they make perfect sense.

CB27
282684.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote

The potato thing started because I was looking at names for funny wars and I found the Bavarian Succession War was also known as the Potato War, so I wanted to find out more (it's suggested that the war eventually finished because there were no more potatoes left anywhere to feed the armies, but I can't be sure on this fact).

The fact about potato being used as a timing device by Incas I knew already from before and you can find several references on the internet.

The Kolberg incident is mentioned in a book I found called "The History and Social Influence of the Potato" by Redcliffe N. Salaman on page 115 and he's quoting from a book by Bruford called "Germany in the seventeenth century". I've found a couple of mentions by searching on google, but I'm guessing they're quoting from the same source.

Having looked at the "stealing" question, I'm now finding slight conflict in that one source (http://www.history-magazine.com) relates the same story about halfway down the page, but I'm finding the same story about Antoine Auguste Parmentier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine-Augustin_Parmentier), so perhaps there was a slight misundertanding with the first source because he spent some time in Prussia. Perhaps I shold have asked "Why did Antoine Augustin Parmentier employ soldiers to guard his potatoes?".

As for the Rastafarian stuff, you can find a lot of confirmation around the net when looking at Ital or Rastafarians, but it's important to understand that as with every other religion there are different "lengths" people will go to in adhering to their religion, so many of them won't follow all the rules I mentioned.

CB27
282685.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote

Wizzard, I'm pretty sure the Honey thing was covered in one of the QI programs already.

Hypnobabe
282837.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:

BTW, as a bit of an aside, did you know that the Incas used the time it takes to boil a potato as a measure of time?

I remember seeing on (I think) Richard and Judy (hangs head in shame) a few years ago that someone tried to come up with a formula for how long it would take to boil potatoes according to how big they were, but it didn't work. All potatoes take the same amount of time to cook, no matter if they're big or small ones.

AndyMcH
282849.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote

No... ? Surely not ?

Am I wasting my time in cutting my potatoes up into little bits to boil them quicker ?

Im sure a tiny little new potato boils in just a few minutes but an enormous huge massive beast of a potato would take a good half hour ?

Really ?

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next