View previous topic | View next topic

Isle be seeing you

Page 1 of 1

Another Jenny
248354.  Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote

I'm suspecting that even people who live in the British Isles might find this a difficult question. I may be wrong. Let's see.

Q. The two largest islands of the British Isles are (of course) Great Britain and Ireland. What is the third?

Consider yourself klaxoned if you answered "Isle of Man", "Isle of Wight" or "Anglesey".

The actual answer: Lewis and (or "with") Harris, in the Outer Hebrides. At 2,179 sq km, it's comfortably larger than Man, Wight and Anglesey put together. Weirdly, the island has no single name - the north is called Lewis and the south is called Harris, so the island as a whole is referred to by both names. I've been there. It rained the whole time.

Tangent: Lewis and Harris are also the real surnames of the American pop production duo more commonly known as Jam and Lewis.

The fourth biggest island of the British Isles, and perhaps one that comes to mind a bit more easily than Lewis and Harris, is Skye in the Inner Hebrides (about as far as most tourists get - however it must be admitted that Skye is not in fact Quite Interesting at all, but really far more dull than ought to be permitted), and the fifth is the mainland of Shetland.

Of those klaxon-worthy answers, Anglesey (or Ynys Mon) comes in seventh, IOM ninth and IOW a lowly twelfth.

Last edited by Another Jenny on Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

samivel
248369.  Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote

Yes, but the IoW has more dinosaur fossils, so that makes up for its poor performance in terms of land area.

</regional chauvinism>

Izzardesque
248803.  Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:12 am Reply with quote

I would have said Skye so I was almost there.

Jenny
248916.  Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote

My husband is a geographical whiz, and he got it straight away.

djgordy
248928.  Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote

It is something that comes up in quizzes every so often so I knew the answer but I suspect that most English people wouldn't get it right.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
248990.  Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been there. It rained the whole time.

I've been too, and I don't think it rained once when I was there. I was amazed. When I went to Tyree, on the other hand....

Quote:
Skye is not in fact Quite Interesting at all, but really far more dull than ought to be permitted

Pah! Skye is lovely.

I'd probably have gone for Skye, so I was close.

Page 1 of 1