View previous topic | View next topic

Stephen Fry's massive lobes

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

jem
231600.  Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote

Well I hope this belongs here. I put it here because I, like, hopefully, all you guys, find our Host to be Quite Interesting.

Does anyone know just how many languages Stephen speaks? He seems to be knowledgeable if not fluent in at least five or six other than English. Also, he seems to have depths of knowledge in basically every topic ever -- anyone know exactly what fields he is an expert in? Literature, obviously, and apparently linguistics, but any other specifics?

I'm fascinated at how one guy can fit so much knowledge in one regular-sized cranium. He was obviously the perfect guy to play Jeeves.

MinervaMoon
231601.  Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote

From Moab is my Washpot:

Quote:
There must be a prep school out there somewhere in need of extra staff. In need of someone who knew the system and was prepared to step in at a moment's notice to teach a little Latin, a little Greek, a little French, English and History.

That was around the time he was 18, looking for a temporary teaching job. He's studied German, at least, since being there, but obviously not enough to pronounce "das Boot" correctly. :P

Lumpo31
231606.  Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:40 am Reply with quote

From the title I was expecting this thread to be some comment about Stephen's ears...

Lisa

samivel
231607.  Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:15 am Reply with quote

You're not the only one.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
231617.  Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:18 am Reply with quote

We have fallen into the QI bear pit. Same here.

"Klaxon"

djgordy
231619.  Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:32 am Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:
From the title I was expecting this thread to be some comment about Stephen's ears...

Fry-rengi.

ficklefiend
231625.  Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:01 am Reply with quote

The latin, greek and french would come from his schooling at least.

Goodness knows where you find the time to pick up languages after that. I keep meaning to get a little french under my belt, or even some polish... and probably a refresher course in german too, although I can pronounce "das Boot" correctly ;)

petipetra
231628.  Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quote

I've heard him speak German in his Who do you think you are, I think, which didn't sound too bad.

Fifi
231635.  Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:05 am Reply with quote

i thought that was going to be about people's ears and whether their lobes were attached to their heads or if you had clearly defined lobes.

mine are clearly defined

Mengo09
231678.  Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote

He speaks German quite a lot on Just A Minute

djgordy
231690.  Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote

There was a time when that would deserve a <Beep>: deviation.

Southpaw
231881.  Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:48 am Reply with quote

It's quite easy to learn a language conversationally, especially European languages. I speak a little French, German, Italian and Spanish, and a little Japanese. I will say I understand them better than I can speak them, but that's down to lack of practice.

As for knowledge in lots of fields, doesn't everyone have that? Your average game of Trivial Pursuit will reveal just how much the average joe knows.

AlmondFacialBar
232062.  Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote

stephen's german is quite excellent actually, judging by the conversations he had in who do you think you are. according to moab, he grew up with german au pairs at home, and one reason why his mom fell in love with his dad was that he spoke the language, so i guess it would have been a fairly constant presence in the fry household, also, his grandad - who, it appears, he was quite close to - would have grown up with german as the lingua franca - it just was where he came from - and might well have gone on using it in his personal life after coming to england. he hasn't got much of an english accent, either, so my guess is that he picked it up pretty early in life. though fuck knows where his idea about "boot" comes from... ;-)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

MinervaMoon
232068.  Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote

I was definitely ribbing about the "Boot" pronunciation: His German is pretty good. As was mentioned above, he delights in doing it on Just a Minute, notably in an episode where he, Clement Freud, Tony Hawks, and even Nicholas Parsons started spouting off in multiple languages, while Julian Clary sat there and spluttered at them. Excellence.

AlmondFacialBar
232076.  Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote

sounds like something i'll have to get hold of... :-D i've developed my own theory about his pronounciation of "boot", actually. he must have picked that one up from a hardcore northerner and never checked up on its buehnendeutsch correctness... it just comes as such a shock with him, doesn't it? given that his german is so good and almost bereft of accents.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next