0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
they sniff it a bit but prefer their own food
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

AlmondFacialBar
229238.  Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote

i know some cats love cottage cheese, and oscar liked the occasional bit of gouda. outside that, though... all cats are individuals i guess... ;-) (and all cats are different from each other... meow... i'm not!)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

swot
229494.  Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:22 am Reply with quote

My cats were like that as well. In fact one of them stole amost a whole pit of yoghurt from me. I turned by back for a second and when I returned, the cat had her whole face in the pot, having tremendous fun.

nostrildamus
229768.  Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies. Funny you should mention cheese, Willow had a penchant for cheddar, preferably medium to strong like Cathedral. But as she has grown out of kittenhood, she seems to be less interested in the sugary and the cheesy. I wonder whether its hard wired for kittens to just try out new foods, as they are naturally filled with curiousity when they are very young (so much so, she fell in the bath when only a few months old!).

We have now a cat no.2, a 3 year old half-ese (possibly half burmese judging by the look and the sound of his meow, but the rescue centre aren't sure as they got him from a house full of cats where someone was unscrupulously and irresponsibly breeding them and them putting them in cages). Having grown up with Orientals (Siamese) I know they have a predilection for people food (with them it was tomato sauce, cheese and onion crisps, and ginger cake). He's pretty timid at the moment but when he gets more confident I think we're going to have to lock our food away and not leave any tempting tidbits out.. I dont want to leave a cake out to cool and come back to a nibbled mess of crumbs.. and "ese's" have a reputation (much deserved!) of opening doors and getting into places!

swot
229923.  Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:15 am Reply with quote

Indeed. My burmese was quite devious when it came tpo locating treats. She was also skilled in the practice of removing straws from the packet on the kitchen table, for hunting purposes.

Also, when the cats were young they had to be locked in the travel crate at meal times, lest they leap up and steal our food on the long, arduous journey from plate to mouth.

nostrildamus
231039.  Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:

Also, when the cats were young they had to be locked in the travel crate at meal times, lest they leap up and steal our food on the long, arduous journey from plate to mouth.

LOL

No problem so far with half-ese, he's always hiding behind speakers. Too shy to steal things at the moment.

Any ideas how to get him to come out and be sociable?

Prof Wind Up Merchant
231062.  Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Oh no, this thread is making me homesick - one thing I'm missing in Poland is the cats. (Just in case he reads this, another is my husband.)

We have two, which for rather predictable reasons are called Hoggard and Harmison. (If we ever get a third, I'm insisting on Monty; Panesar would be a silly name for a cat.)

Neither of them will go near anything vegetabulous other than catnip - if they get given cat food with veg bits in, they eat around them. But they certainly both like people food - Hoggard's favorite is raw steak, while Harmison is rather partial to canned tuna and curry. (Hoggard runs a mile from anything remotely currified, and I always used to think that all cats did, but clearly not.)

Oh, and cream of course - but as Tas says, I know that cats shouldn't have dairy produce very often, so it's a once-in-a-while treat.

Don't knock Panesar the Cat, he's quite a celebrity in India.

:-)

swot
231157.  Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:25 am Reply with quote

nostrildamus wrote:

Catnip?

nostrildamus
231398.  Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:
nostrildamus wrote:

Catnip?

Actually, he's getting bolder now and has been sneaking around the house when our backs are turned, stealing the other cats food and knocking things over! Bit like the scene from Lady and The Tramp, I thought our original cat was up to something but then stuff started getting broken and eaten when she was out.. mind you, he's 15 in cat years, we've got the equivalent of a young offender living in our house!

jw
248996.  Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote

From personal experience, foxes do attack cats. I broke up a fight between my cat and a large, very aggressive fox (it didn't run from me until i threatened it with a piece of wood!!). A friend of mine also saw two foxes kill a cat in the North London area. Both incidents were during winter, so whether it is lack of food as opposed to malice I don't know.

ps.... cats like cheese to breathe down mouseholes with bated breath (sorry couldn't resist it)

Bondee
249143.  Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote

jw wrote:
From personal experience, foxes do attack cats.

I'll concur with this. My last cat, Buster, was taken to the vet with two "vampire" bites on his neck which were caused by a fox. Unfortunately we didn't see them until they became infected and he started scratching at them. And my grandad says he saw a fox carrying a dead cat down the street outside the house a few months ago.

Joelvetica
383876.  Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote

My white cat, who is 15 years old yet still very sprightly and robust, loves the taste of chocolate and pretty much anything sweet to the point where it drives her to distraction and dribbling!
Can she possess the impossible 'sweet tooth' in felines?

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2