0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
they sniff it a bit but prefer their own food
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

nostrildamus
228334.  Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote

Is this true? My cat likes cake (especially with chocolate buttercream icing) and ice cream but not mayo or savoury sauces as much. My previous cats helped themselves to ginger cake and ate a big lump out of it.

BTW I know chocolate is bad for cats and as soon as I found out she liked it I started keeping it out of her way, so please dont tell me off, she just stole the cake when my back was turned!

cnb
228337.  Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:55 am Reply with quote

My mum gives her cats little slices of red pepper as treats, they seem to really like it! I've never known any other cats eat salad though...

AlmondFacialBar
228355.  Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote

cats are weird in their food preferences. various cats in my past were known to show, respectively, a strong affinity for pimento stuffed green olives, warm custard, thick pea soup and slightly off smoked salmon. i guess i depends on the way their individual bodies are tuned, just like some humans have a sweet tooth and others a savoury tooth, too - and, after all, as we all know now thanks to richard hammond, flavour preferences are obviously hard-wired into the brain. ;-) i've read about that idea that cats can't taste sweet flavours before, essentially because as carnivores it's a capacity they don't need. according to that book, they do have tastebuds for sweetness, but they're so insensitive it basically takes a sugar overkill to activate them - hence, i guess the chocolate buttercream icing, things don't really come much sweeter than that, do they? ;-)

all the cats i've ever had loved people food. the one with a penchant for warm custard - a tiny little thing of about 5 pounds - once ran away with a half frozen t-bone steak and devoured it completely, ditto half a pound of cassoulet, massive big thueringer sausages from the barbecue and many more nice things. she was also in the habit of raiding my dad's tea (he worked late, so we always left it on the kitchen counter for him) when there were ham sandwiches involved. if there was the tiniest gap in the clingfilm she'd stick in a claw and pull out the ham from between the plastic and the bread.

but then my first horse had a total fetish for fresh yeast cake, so maybe i just always get animals with weird tastes... ;-)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Tas
228372.  Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote

My feline master has a thing for Tuna, Prawns, Ham and Salmon. He also likes the more obvious chicken and turkey. He also like beef.
Oddly, he also loves chicken in chinese curry sauce (but not indian curry sauce).
He is also partial to a little rice or pasta with any of the above. He will take a little cream, but this is bad for cats (so use feline milk products. I think it is a lactose thing).

Tas

AlmondFacialBar
228373.  Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote

or use yoghurt - some cats love the nutra sweet stuff. that does away with the lactose problem, too.

AlmondFacialBar

suze
228426.  Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote

Oh no, this thread is making me homesick - one thing I'm missing in Poland is the cats. (Just in case he reads this, another is my husband.)

We have two, which for rather predictable reasons are called Hoggard and Harmison. (If we ever get a third, I'm insisting on Monty; Panesar would be a silly name for a cat.)

Neither of them will go near anything vegetabulous other than catnip - if they get given cat food with veg bits in, they eat around them. But they certainly both like people food - Hoggard's favorite is raw steak, while Harmison is rather partial to canned tuna and curry. (Hoggard runs a mile from anything remotely currified, and I always used to think that all cats did, but clearly not.)

Oh, and cream of course - but as Tas says, I know that cats shouldn't have dairy produce very often, so it's a once-in-a-while treat.

Tas
228429.  Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote

I do try to give him too many artificial flavourings and stuff like that (eg Nutrasweet). He is a bit delicate that way.

Tas

AlmondFacialBar
228430.  Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote

oscar - the one with a thing for slightly off smoked salmon - adored raw stewing beef. being a gentleman of class and breeding, however - he was an immensely decadent persian who merited his name in every way imaginable - he would never ever steal it. instead he'd sit in wait on the kitchen stool, with his little nose coming closer and closer to the chunks and his eyes getting bigger and bigger as you were cutting up the meat. he always got his treat, seeing how he was such a good boy... ;-)

AlmondFacialBar

Askapart
228434.  Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote

I once knew a cat who was very fond of spaghetti, but we could never work out whether it was the taste he liked or the fact that he could play games with it while he ate it.

The Doctor
228607.  Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote

My cat (named Xinqu for no other reason than that i wanted a name with an x and a q) demands to be allowed to smell all my food and eat /drink anything lukewarm that contains meat ,and for some reason likes coffee. Not that i let her have any, which causes her to mope...

Southpaw
228670.  Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:51 am Reply with quote

I would have gone for Exqudius, but that's just me...

The Doctor
228977.  Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote

actually, it turned out Xinqu is the name of a town/city somewhere in south-america... go figure, here i thought i was being original.
the mane is still fun, though, just by dint of ev'ryone mispronouncing it

also have no clue what Exqudius means (spellcheck doesn't seem to know the word)

ColinM
229131.  Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:45 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
being a gentleman of class and breeding, however - he was an immensely decadent persian who merited his name in every way imaginable - he would never ever steal it.

Our cat was quite the opposite. Anything that was offered to him was quite boring (often including his own food), but as soon as a piece of meat was left unattended, it was his. Actually, he often didn't bother to wait until it was unattended ...

AlmondFacialBar
229135.  Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:48 am Reply with quote

katze - the one who liked warm custard - was like that. she was the kind of cat the word "catfight" was invented about actually, a capricious little bitch... ;-)

AlmondFacialBar

Lumpo31
229237.  Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote

What about cheese? Both cats we had when I was growing up were complete cheese-freaks. Can't remember how we worked it out, but I think it was by accident.

Lisa

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next