View previous topic | View next topic

Recipes

Page 6 of 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Efros
911976.  Sun May 27, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote

got it with a coupon from the British Food Shop, neither of which tempted me to buy anything.

Oceans Edge
911996.  Sun May 27, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote

hurmmmm that sounds delightful... chocolate is always good :)

I may do this instead of the mojito freeze pie I had planned for this evening's Sunday Supper

Efros
912022.  Sun May 27, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote

If you do let us know how it turns out.

Oceans Edge
912122.  Sun May 27, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote

It is very tasty. The crust is very shortbread like, would work well with any fruit or fruit and custard tart. However it is a air bit of farting about for a 'tasty tart'. I wouldn't call it extraordinary, but it was nice.

Couple of hints, when you whip the cream do not add the cinnamon at the beginning - the tiny powder particles cause the cream to pretty much instantly congeal sorta butter like, rather than whipped. That reduces the volume, and makes it a bit thicker so a) it doesn't spread well on top of the chocolate layer (kinda mixes a bit) and the reduced volume isn't enough to get a good texture out of the mixture of whip cream and chocolate (that ended up a bit soft and runny. It may firm up better after a night in the fridge.

Very nice, I'll probably do it again and fiddle it a bit.

Efros
912143.  Mon May 28, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote

Cool!

strukkanurv
912154.  Mon May 28, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote

Roast Vegetables with Rice

Ingredients:

Chopped/Diced Vegetables (whatever's in the house, really).

This time, I used:
2 large Potatoes, Diced
1 Sweet Potato, Diced
3 Large Carrots, Sliced
1/2 lb Mushrooms, Chopped
1 Onion, Finely Chopped
Red & Green (& Yellow, if you like) Peppers, Chopped
Green Beans, Chopped

2 Large Garlic Cloves, Finely Chopped
Cashew Nuts
Tomato Puree
Paprika/Smoked Paprika
Cumin
Oregano
Salt & Pepper
Boiled Rice
Lemon Juice
Brown Sugar
Olive Oil

Throw all your veg as you chop it up into a deep roasting tray.
Sprinkle over with 2 parts Paprika to 1 part Cumin (These make up the basis of the flavour, so amounts are subject to personal preference), Chopped Garlic, Oregano, Salt & Pepper.
Drizzle all over with Olive Oil, but make sure to be a tad on the generous side.
Mix together gently but thoroughly until everything takes on the slight reddish hue from the Paprika.
Pop into a pre-heated oven at 140°-150°c for 1 hour.
Remove from the oven & add the Cashews, Juice equivalent to half a lemon, Tomato Puree (again, be generous) & sprinkle the whole thing with 2 teaspoons (or more if necessary) of Brown Sugar. Once again, mix together gently but thoroughly & return to the oven for a further 20-30 minutes.
Serve with Boiled Rice.

Jenny
912256.  Mon May 28, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote

Mmm that looks nice. I do something similar to that, but I usually use butternut squash or pumpkin or something similar plus sweet potato, plus sweet peppers, wedges of onion, tomatoes halved if tiny or cut into wedges if large, sometimes mushrooms. I use cumin or garam masala, but haven't thought about paprika. Sometimes I leave out the spice and put in herbs instead - it's more like a roast ratatouille then, particularly if I use courgettes instead of squash. I vary the ingredients depending what I have in the fridge. I roast it at a higher heat though - 425F+. I hadn't thought about putting cashews in it but that's a nice idea to add protein. I tend to serve it with fish or sausages or chicken, or put some canned tomatoes in with leftovers and serve it as a pasta sauce or as you have done with rice. I don't eat rice and pasta these days though, so eating it like a vegetable stew is good - the cashews would be good with that.

suze
912319.  Mon May 28, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I do something similar to that, but I usually use butternut squash or pumpkin or something similar plus sweet potato, plus sweet peppers, wedges of onion, tomatoes halved if tiny or cut into wedges if large, sometimes mushrooms.

Isn't that combination of ingredients rather sweet for a not-dessert?

I find butternut squash too sweet to eat as a cooked vegetable, although I do rather like it as a soup, with lots of pepper and a little chilli.

Efros
912323.  Mon May 28, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote

Apart from the sweet potato and the onion, they are all fruits. I wouldn't be too happy to get that as dessert though!

strukkanurv
912334.  Mon May 28, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote

The veg in this 2 to 1 ratio of Paprika & Cumin tastes as delicious when cooked as it smells whilst cooking.

The beauty of this dish is its simpilicity in preperation.

Jenny
912346.  Mon May 28, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote

Oh I love butternut squash. The whole thing doesn't taste sweet to me, by the time it's got salt and spices on it. I'm not that keen on butternut squash as a pureed vegetable, but I do like it roasted and as a soup.

'yorz
912349.  Mon May 28, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote

Strawberries with freshly ground black pepper.
I may even try a trace if not a soupçon of chili, soon.
I have to wait till the Scottish strawbs are available. Their flavour is just sooooo full and sweet!
Oh! I just had a good idea: melt 80% cocoa chocolate, stir in a minute dusting of chili powder, and dip the strawberries in.
Must be heaven.

Efros
912368.  Tue May 29, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote

Pretty tasty.

strukkanurv
912427.  Tue May 29, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote

I always add a few squares of dark cooking chocolate when I'm making Chili.

Oceans Edge
912445.  Tue May 29, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote

I do like the Lindt Chili... very nice but my all time favourite will always be the dark chocolate and chilli Tim Tams I was once able to get in Australia.

Arnott's brought out about 5 new flavours at once as an unfanfaired limited time market test. The Black Forest Cherry won out and stayed on the market. I fear chilli was just too adventurous for most people. However, they were THE most amazing cookie / candy bar / thing EVER! I bought every packet I could lay my hands on at the time, but they didn't last long enough and I've mourned their loss ever since. Yes, I've told Arnott's this.

(also in the same period I came across a chilli seller at a local Sunday outdoor market - he had some amazing chilli sauces, but he also had a chilli cordial that was to DIE for, I've never been able to repeat THAT either)

I do have a habit of falling in love with things so obscure I can never have them.

Page 6 of 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next