View previous topic | View next topic

Recipes

Page 7 of 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

strukkanurv
912427.  Tue May 29, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote

I always add a few squares of dark cooking chocolate when I'm making Chili.

Oceans Edge
912445.  Tue May 29, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote

I do like the Lindt Chili... very nice but my all time favourite will always be the dark chocolate and chilli Tim Tams I was once able to get in Australia.

Arnott's brought out about 5 new flavours at once as an unfanfaired limited time market test. The Black Forest Cherry won out and stayed on the market. I fear chilli was just too adventurous for most people. However, they were THE most amazing cookie / candy bar / thing EVER! I bought every packet I could lay my hands on at the time, but they didn't last long enough and I've mourned their loss ever since. Yes, I've told Arnott's this.

(also in the same period I came across a chilli seller at a local Sunday outdoor market - he had some amazing chilli sauces, but he also had a chilli cordial that was to DIE for, I've never been able to repeat THAT either)

I do have a habit of falling in love with things so obscure I can never have them.

Oceans Edge
914122.  Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Efros, the Jubilee Chocolate Perfection Pie? I've got a MUCH better variation on it. I know this is heresey .. but forget the chocolate.

Make the shortbread crust, do the lovely custardy first layer. THEN.

Simmer 3 cups of rhubarb, 2 cups sliced strawberries, and 1/2 cup sugar until the rhubarb is nicely stewed and breaking up. Thicken with 2 tbsp of arrowroot flour in 1 oz of water. Pour this over your sunken custard till the pie is well full. Put back in the oven for 10 minutes until the jammy top layer is bubbly.

Allow to cool

Serve with a dollop of whipped cream

It was perfect, the sweet custard was delightful with the jammy tart top layer,

CB27
914132.  Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Oh I love butternut squash. The whole thing doesn't taste sweet to me, by the time it's got salt and spices on it. I'm not that keen on butternut squash as a pureed vegetable, but I do like it roasted and as a soup.

A brilliant butternut squash recipe is to cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and roast each half (a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, some chilli flakes and garlic granules work for me, but you can roast as you like).

Cut some sweet peppers (ideally of different colours) into half inch pieces, and roast them al dente (doesn't take long). Once roasted, let them cool, then add some olive oil, cream cheese (Philadelphia type) and herbs and spices to taste.

When the butternut squash halves are done, scoop the pepper and cream mixture into the concave section and put it in the oven for another 5 minutes, and then it's good to go.

Very simple vegetarian meal, and very, very tasty.

CB27
914133.  Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I sometimes add pine nuts or crushed almonds or hazelnuts, to give a bit of crunch.

Efros
914146.  Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote

Nom I like rhubarb!

Jenny
914242.  Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote

CB I like the sound of that. I'd add nuts too.

I have rhubarb growing in my garden, and am planning to make a rhubarb johnnycake this weekend, as I have to take a gluten-free recipe to a friend's house for dessert for a shared dinner. This is the recipe, but I plan to use more ginger than that - probably a teaspoonful. I'll probably use brown sugar rather than white too. I'm not fussy enough about using unsalted butter to actually go out and buy some, so I'll just use ordinary butter. I may take custard with me to serve with it as an alternative to ice cream or whipped cream - it's not common in the US and people might like it.

Rhubarb Johnnycake

2 cups sliced rhubarb
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 cup corn flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick (4oz) of unsalted butter softened
2 eggs
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a 9 springform pan.
Toss the sliced rhubarb with 3 tablespoons of sugar and the ginger. Set aside.In another bowl, whisk together the corn flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a separate bowl, beat 1/2 cup sugar with the butter until creamy. Beat in the eggs, sour cream and vanilla.

Add the corn flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir just enough to combine. Pour the batter into the cake pan. Arrange the rhubarb slices on top of the batter and sprinkle the top with a little sugar.

Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Oceans Edge
923406.  Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote

I'm in a bit of a quandry..

my hubby and I are both deeply fond of real traditional ginger beer, making it is not difficult (so I am told) and I thought it would be a nice introduction to home brewing (of which I wish to do a lot more).

Now following a bunch of links on the net, and what he remembers from his parents doing their own many years ago... I'm confused.

Several places, a couple of blogs and an instructables, tells me I *must* order a Ginger Beer Plant (GBP) from someone out on the net or some bespoke foodie shop somewhere. His recipe from the Australian Country Women's Association agrees with Chow and says make your own bug with wild yeast.

As a baker, I've made my own sour dough starters, and I've used some other peoples and yeah results can vary, but I'm ok with wild yeast stuff (depends on the air, and where you are, some are wonderful some not so much...)

For anyone out there who does their own Ginger Beer (Jo Brand are you in hearing range? LOL!) ... which way do you prefer, what do YOU do? I'm all set to set up a crock and muslin, but if I'm better off ordering GBP then I'll do that :)

Efros
923408.  Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote

Don't brew the stuff myself but apparently what you are after is DSMZ Strain 2472 there is a guy on ebay selling the stuff for about $3 just do a search for ginger beer plant on ebay. He is based in the UK but will ship internationally. tbirkin is the user name.

Starfish13
923410.  Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:

Pretty tasty.

Have you tried the wasabi one? lush!

Oceans Edge
923415.  Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Don't brew the stuff myself but apparently what you are after is DSMZ Strain 2472 there is a guy on ebay selling the stuff for about $3 just do a search for ginger beer plant on ebay. He is based in the UK but will ship internationally. tbirkin is the user name.

Hurmm interesting, I'm not sure Mr tbirkin on ebay has the right thing, his listing specifically says that his Plant does not contain Bacterium Lactobacillus Hilgardii or Sacchromyces Florentinus.

wiki wrote:
Ginger beer plant
Ginger beer plant (GBP) is not what is usually considered a plant, but a composite organism consisting of a fungus, the yeast Saccharomyces florentinus (formerly Saccharomyces pyriformis), and the bacterium Lactobacillus hilgardii (formerly Brevibacterium vermiforme), which form a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY). It forms a gelatinous substance that allows it to be easily transferred from one fermenting substrate to the next, much like kefir grains, kombucha, and tibicos.

I may try it it with capturing wild yeast, and see how that works out. If that goes poorly I'll try it with the plant. I'm less concerned with 'authenticity' than I am just having a nice refreshing drink. The folks on the homebrew forum would be appalled with me I'm sure, but the folks at bestrecipes.au forum haven't even mentioned the plant thing..

Efros
923419.  Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote

If I feel the need for a zing, I top and tail about half a dozen lemons an orange and a grapfruit (one of the red ones), cut them up into manageable segments add a little water and then blitz them in the blender. Pass the result through a clean piece of cloth, squeeze the cloth to get all of the juice out and then combine with some water and simple syrup to get the required sharpness v sweetness. Chill it and serve over ice. The resultant juice is usually a bit too sharp for the kids and so lasts me a couple of days, it's also bloody good with some (ok lots of) rum.

Oceans Edge
923448.  Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Oooo that does sound very nice :)

Efros
923451.  Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote

Got that recipe in the Ibis hotel in Luxor from a barman, who also made really good karkade, a hibiscus iced tea concoction, which to this day is the only form of iced tea I like. It is also very nice with rum!

Awitt
923481.  Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote

Some interesting combos here! I can't eat anything chilli now due to IBS and my consumption of citrus fruits is limited to one quarter of orange per day, but at least I can still enjoy that!

Page 7 of 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next