View previous topic | View next topic

Recipes

Page 2 of 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Not a Number
227056.  Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Honey-Dijon-Orange-Curry Chicken
I don't have an exact recipe for this concoction, so these are approximated amounts.

Orange juice - 1/2 cup
Brown sugar - 2/3 Tbsp
Honey - Big Drizzle
Curry - 1 Tbsp (or to taste)
Chicken (I prefer breast. No, not like that)
Mrs. Dash* or equivalent
(Optional) Favorite hot sauce, to add a kick
Whatever other spices/herbs you fancy - go eccentric, rather than crazy. I would suggest experimentation with such things as ginger, cumin, coriander, basil, or cinnamon.

Preheat oven to 400 C.
Combine first four ingredients.
Put chicken in something oven-worthy with a lid. I'm not picky.
Brush chicken with olive oil, add Mrs. Dash or equivalent spices.
Pour mixture over chicken and cook in previously-mentioned oven for about 45 minutes to an hour, basting frequently.

You may add cut up potatoes, brushed with oil, sprinkled with herbs, and cooked alongside the birdie. Rice is also excellent, especially if you have plenty of sauce left over.

*I'm not quite sure if this can be found in the UK, but do not fear - it is a seasoning blend, not a cannibalistic additive to an otherwise benign recipe. See here.

Southpaw
227063.  Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote

Alas, Mrs. Dash isn't available here, but I believe you can lay your hands on mixed dried herbs.

I did fondant potatoes today for the first time and they were both easy and gorgeous, recipe below, serves 2:

4 average/large potatoes
40g butter
Water

1. Peel and slice the potatoes into 1" thick slices - you'll probably only get 2 per potato - use the rest for compost!
2. Place the potatoes in a non-stick (don't bother without non-stick, you'll be scraping for months) pan, season, add the butter and enough water to come halfway up the potatoes. Cover with buttered greaseproof paper.
3. Heat over a medium-high heat until the water has evaporated and the potatoes are a golden brown colour on one side, about 30 minutes. Flip them over and brown the other side for a few minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes.

You should end up with a nice crispy outer, and a fluffy tasty interior. A good alternative to roasters.

suze
227080.  Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Does sound like a rather tempting recipe, Ms Number!

Mrs Dash is confined to North America I fear, but garam masala would work just as well I reckon.

Southpaw
228850.  Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote

Toad in the Hole.

For no other reason than I'm having it tonight, and that it's a good winter meal, here's my toad in the hole receep:

Serves 4

125g plain flour
150ml milk, mixed with 150ml cold water
2 eggs
1 tablespoon mustard (grainy preferably)
Salt and pepper
6 of the best sausages you can get. Your toad's only as good as your sausage!
3 tbs dripping or lard.

1. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, then add the milk, eggs, mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk all the lumps out. You're looking for the batter to be the consistency of normal double cream. Add more flour if it seems a bit thin. Put the batter aside for 20 minutes or so.

2. Preheat your oven to 220 degrees C, 200 fan. Put the dripping/lard in a high sided roasting tin, and put in the hot oven until it starts to smoke. Put your sausages in the tin; the fat should be so hot that they will sizzle. Start to cook the sausages in the oven for a few minutes.

3. Take out the roasting tin, turn the sausages over, and, working quickly (the heat of the fat is paramount, it must be nigh-on thermonuclear), pour the batter into the tin so it surrounds the sausages. Put back in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, until the whole thing has risen into golden brown mountains of loveliness.

Serve with veg and onion gravy.

starlinguk
228916.  Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote

Hypnobabe wrote:
starlinguk wrote:

Cream the bugger and sugar together.

Which one? lol...

I do not know what you speak of 0:)

Southpaw
236689.  Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote

The best tandoori chicken outside of a curry house.

It's not bright red because it doesn't have food colouring, but it tastes brillyunt.

4 or 5 chicken pieces (breast or thigh)
3 cloves garlic
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 green chillies, roughly sliced
2 tsp garam masala
Juice of half a lemon
Salt
3/4 pint natural yoghurt (450ml)

1. Chop the chicken breasts in half, and ditto with the legs.
2. Rub one side with half the lemon juice and some salt, then repeat on the other side. Set aside for 20 mins.
3. In a blender, mix the yoghurt, garlic, onion, chilli and garam masala until smooth. Pass through a sieve, pressing with the back of a ladle to get as much liquid out as possible.
4. Put the chicken and any juices in a bowl with the marinade, cover and leave for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
5. Preheat your oven as high as it will go. Set a shelf in the top third, where it is hottest. Place the chicken pieces on a baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes - the outside will char, but the inside will remain juicy. Fantastic.

Sebastian flyte
238757.  Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote

This is a fave in the 'Flyte' house on cold Autumn evenings.

(rabbit can be used as a easier to find cheaper alternative)

Hare Casserole with Juniper and Wine

Serves 4-6

INGREDIENTS

2 tbsp Olive oil
1 Onion (peeled and chopped)
2 Sticks celery (chopped)
1kg Hare legs / diced meat (either, or a mix of both)
2 tbsp Plain flour
350ml Red wine
2 tbsp Juniper berries (crushed in mortar and pestle)
Salt and pepper
1 heaped tbsp Redcurrant jelly

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.

2. Heat the oil in a casserole pan then gently fry the onions and celery until soft.

3. Remove with a slotted spoon and increase the heat. Add a splash more oil if there is little left.

4. Dust the hare in the flour then add to the pan and brown all over. Return the vegetables to the pan and increase the heat. Add the wine, juniper, salt and pepper. Once boiling, cover and place in the preheated oven for 1 hour.

5. Remove and stir in the jelly. Recover and cook for a further 1 to 1 hours then check seasoning and add more jelly if more sweetness is required.

6. Serve piping hot with a parsnip or celeriac mash

Southpaw
238791.  Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote

Interesting, interesting...my local Tesco was fresh out of hare and rabbit last time I was in, I really must get Higgins to telegram Fortnum & Mason.

swot
239084.  Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote

Good lord you're posh, Sebastian*.

I find that rather endearing :)

*Can't help thinking the clue was in the name...

Sebastian flyte
239106.  Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:
Good lord you're posh, Sebastian*.

I find that rather endearing :)

*Can't help thinking the clue was in the name...

If you think my name is Sebastian it isn't, my name is slightly chavable actually, 'Shane', but I am Sebastian here after Sebastian Flyte who is posh, much more so than I although we are a little posh which can't be helped. 'Charming' 'posh' gay Catholic couldn't be called anything else really. Daddy went to Eton, Daddy says Taste for toast Daddy is posh I'm just an accessory :)

swot
239109.  Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote

Fairy nuff. :)

Do you think it was a good idea to tell a forum full of House-obsessives that you dad went to the same school (though not neccessarily at the same time) as it's star?

Sebastian flyte
239123.  Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:
Fairy nuff. :)

Do you think it was a good idea to tell a forum full of House-obsessives that you dad went to the same school (though not neccessarily at the same time) as it's star?

Yes. As all I need say is 'Not at the same time' and they lose the scent. I would hope..

ColinM
239408.  Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote

You would hope, eh? Perhaps you ought to add 'optimistic' to your list then. Or perhaps 'nave'.

Also:
Not a Number wrote:
Preheat oven to 400 C.

Jolly hot oven, that. To say nothing of the rather odd culinary word preheat, as if having it come early on in the ordered instructions wasn't enough to tell you to do it first.

I'd share some recipes while I'm here complaining, but mine all go something along the lines of 'chop things, throw them in a saucepan, add more things, season to taste.' Not very technical, but it works.

samivel
239440.  Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote

You've been copying my cooking technique, you swine!

:)

ColinM
239775.  Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote

I arrived at the same conclusions though independent research, and you can't prove otherwise.

Page 2 of 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next