View previous topic | View next topic

The Pope's Cathedral

Page 1 of 1

Alex Holowczak
238325.  Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote

What is the name of the Pope's cathedral?

Answer: St. John Lateran's Basilica (Forfeit: St. Peter's Basilica) (according to Wikipedia, anyway)

Another random Vatican fact: It has one of the highest crime rates in the world (in terms of crimes committed per person).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2639777.stm

suze
238330.  Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote

Wiki is quite right there.

The Basilica of St Peter was in fact the seat of the Patriarch of Constantinople, a position which no one has held since 1948 and which has since been officially abolished. (This is not the same as the position of Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, the leading figure in the Eastern Orthodox church.)

The Basilica of St John Lateran is indeed the seat of the Bishop of Rome, one of the titles which goes with being Pope.

The two other major basilicas in Rome are the Basilica of St Mary Major which was formerly the seat of the Patriarch of Antioch (position in abeyance since 1953 and now abolished), and the Basilica of St Paul Without The Walls which was the seat of the Patriarch of Alexandria (in abeyance since 1954 and also since abolished).

samivel
238332.  Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote

Isn't it a bit unfair to blame the folk who live in the Vatican for the crime rate as the vast majority of transgressions are by tourists?

Lumpo31
238335.  Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:38 am Reply with quote

Been there! Mind you, seems like the rest of Australia have too, at least, most of the tourists we saw in August were Australian. I kept saying to my friend, "Would the last person to leave Australia please turn out the light and lock the door behind them?".

Lisa [/gloat]

jaygeemack
238741.  Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote

The Vatican also has the lowest birthrate per head of population in the world.

samivel
238799.  Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote

I bet its church attendance figures are impressive.

exnihilo
251420.  Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote

Suze, I think the Ecumenical Patriarch might argue that the Patriarchate of Constantinople has never been in abeyance, but that a great many pretenders to it existed over the last millennium, roughly, who had their seat in Rome.

suze
251447.  Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote

Well yes, I suppose he might indeed - but hey, I have to take the party line at least some of the time!

Actually, there are two Orthodox Patriarchs of Constantinople quite apart from the erstwhile RC one. The Patriarch of the Orthodox Church of Constantinople and Archbishop of Constantinople, New Rome is one of them - the incumbent being Bartholomaíos I, born Dīmī́trios Archontṓnīs. Under the rules, the holder of that office has to be an ethnic Greek born in Turkey - which could become problematic in the future, since the number of such people is small and getting smaller.

The other is the Armenian Patriarch of Istanbul, currently Mesrob II (born Mesrob Mutafian).

exnihilo
251476.  Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote

There is also some manner of in-fight going on which, IIRC, has resulted in a deposed patriarch shutting himself in the palace with all the icons and so forth. The history of that strand of Christianity is rarely boring.

Page 1 of 1