View previous topic | View next topic

Prisoners of War

Page 1 of 1

Gentle Giant
220086.  Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote

I'm new here, so I apologise if this isn't in strict accordance with the guidelines.

Question:

When was the last German Prisoner of War held on British soil released?

Forfeits:
Any mention of Rudolph Hess, unless the fact that he was held in Germany is also mentioned. (10 points)

Answer
There is today in England an extraordinary case of Fallschirmjäger Obergefreiter Hans Teske who still remains a PoW to this day! He was taken prisoner in Tunisia in 1943 and imprisoned in Hill Hall Camp (Camp 116) near Epping, Essex and during his time there made several escape attempts. At the war's end he did not want to return to Germany as his home was now in Soviet held territory so the British allowed him to live outside the camp on a 12 monthly parole basis. In June he applied for a transfer to Kent and the officials removed his name from the list in Epping but for some reason did not put his name on their records in Kent. When he discovered the error he asked for his name to be put on the repatriation list but was refused. He continued his protests and lobbied his local Member of Parliament and several German ambassadors but to no avail and in 1970 decided not to pursue the matter so technically he is still a prisoner of war to this day!

In 1977 he was living at Milton Keynes, technically a P.O.W. on parole.

(Please note that the above is copied verbatim from a website listed below - beware copyright)

Notes:
An article in War Monthly, issue 48, 1973 written by a Hans Teske could well be by the man himself. The article concerns 48 paratroopers holding a postion in Tunisia. The Hans Teske above was a paratooper captured in Tunisia in 1943.

The references below contain several mentions of a Hans Teske. I have not been able to establish whether the Hans Teske in those references originally came from the territories eventually occupied by the Russians. If he did, it lends more credence to the possibility that they are one and the same man.

Sources:
First Paragraph:
http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/dixie/921/PoWs/pows.htm

In 1977 he was living at Milton Keynes, technically a P.O.W. on parole.
http://www.bpears.org.uk/Misc/War_NE/w_section_09.html

In the document below, a Hans Teske is quoted as the source of an account involving 48 paratroopers defending a position. The article is entitled “Peters Corner”, and published in “War Monthly”, issue 48, 1973.
http://www.vftt.co.uk/vftt39.pdf

In a document about a pre-war German Dictionary Project, reference is made to the removal of the project leader in 1934, due to her being Jewish. Her successor was a man by the name of Hans Teske. The document goes on to say that Teske was drafted into the military at the beginning of the war, and is still missing.

The likely age of the aforementioned Teske was by then probably too great for him to have been a paratrooper. He was clearly an educated man, and is likely to have held a rank above that of Lance Corporal/Corporal; even so, I cannot help but wonder.

The document is in German, but if you can handle it, you can find it at:
http://www.slm.uni-hamburg.de/berichte01_03/hamb.html

A bit more German stuff, but again reference to a missing Hans Teske:

Nach dem Krieg wechselte er (Hans Pyritz)in die britische Besatzungszone, nach Hamburg, auf die Professur des in den letzten Kriegstagen verschollenen Hans Teske, der verschwunden blieb.
http://www.literaturkritik.de/public/rezension.php?rez_id=1684&ausgabe=200010

As a final thought, a Mark Hans Teske is shown as a member of the Class of 1978 at Denbigh School, Milton Keynes. Might he be a descendant?

ali
220088.  Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote

In 1995, Spike Milligan was the subject of a 'This Is Your Life'. Among the guests was one Hans Teske - could it be the same bloke?

Welcome aboard, Gentle Giant. It would probably be better for something like this to be posted in Quite Interestrings, where people are more likely to see it.

Gentle Giant
220095.  Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote

I shall repost it there as well, at your suggestion. I was hoping it might make it as a question on the programme at some point in the future.

I believe that the Hans Teske who appeared in Spike Milligan's This is Your Life was the same man, but have not been able to confirm it.

If, in the interim and by now I think probable, Hans Teske has expired (note - it could be an "E" question, or "D" for death), the question could be rephrased to:

Question: The last German soldier to die whilst still a Prisoner of War on British soil died in which year?

Gentle Giant

samivel
220124.  Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote

We've already had series D, and series E is currently running on Staurday nights on BBC2, so the question won't make it into those series. F for 'Foreigner' or 'Fighter', perhaps? Or G for 'German'.

Oh, and welcome :)

Gentle Giant
220144.  Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote

Such a friendly welcoming place - where have you folks been all my cyber-life??

How about "F" for Freedom (or lack of), Foul Up, Failure, Fallschirmjaeger.....

Any more "F"s anyone?

Jenny
220215.  Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote

Isn't the German for prisoner something like Gefangener? (That may not be correct - I did my German O level in 1966...)

Welcome aboard Gentle Giant :-)

Hans Mof
220326.  Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote

You're absolutely right Jenny. Prisoner of war would be Kriegsgefangener.

Oh, and hi and welcome GG

Page 1 of 1