241701.  Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Families would make a broad theme.

If so, I wonder if this will catch anyone out:

Q: Can you name the family in the novel Swiss Family Robinson?"

F: Robinson

A: Ma, Pa, Franz, Jack, Fritz, and Ernest

Source:

Quote:
Although movie and TV adaptations have often given them the surname Robinson, which is not a Swiss name, the "Robinson" of the title refers to Robinson Crusoe. The German name is somewhat more logical, as it translates as the Swiss Robinson, implying a Swiss version of Robinson Crusoe rather than a Swiss family named Robinson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swiss_Family_Robinson

Flash
241719.  Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote

That's nice, didn't know that.

dr.bob
261044.  Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:38 am Reply with quote

The mother appears to be called Elizabeth:

Chapter VIII

Quote:
"Now, my dear Elizabeth," said I, waking early next morning, "let us talk a little on this grand project of changing our residence; to which there are many objections. First, it seems wise to remain on the spot where Providence has cast us, where we can have at once means of support drawn from the ship, and security from all attacks, protected by the rock, the river, and the sea on all sides."

My wife distrusted the river, which could not protect us from the jackals, and complained of the intolerable heat of this sandy desert, of her distaste for such food as oysters and wild geese; and, lastly, of her agony of mind, when we ventured to the wreck; willingly renouncing all its treasures, and begging we might rest content with the blessings we already had.

Not sure the father is ever given a name.

Jenny
261316.  Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote

In the 1940 film, the father was called William Robinson, but I don't know whether there's any basis for that in the book - I don't remember him being called anything but 'Father'.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033124/

dr.bob
262530.  Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote

I noticed that, so I did a quick search for "William" in the text on gutenberg, but it doesn't appear anywhere.

Mind you, I wasn't too confident that the 1940 film was a reliable source of info since it gives their surnames as "Robinson" :)

Page 1 of 1