View previous topic | View next topic

Cornflakes

Page 1 of 1

DoctorDavy
218695.  Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quote

HI
I was watching QI last week and they said that cornflakes were originally used to deter people from masturbation!

i have said this to a few people and they wont believe me

anyone got any links etc that i can give them to show its true??

suze
218709.  Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote

We had a longer discussion about the Kellogg brothers and cornflakes starting from post 214695.

It probably isn't easy to find, but John Harvey Kellogg wrote a book about masturbation as well (Kellogg, J H Treatment for self-abuse and its effects, plain facts for old and young 1888, F Segner & Co, Burlington, IA).

There also many places on the Interweb which mention Kellogg's notion that a somewhat plain diet was important in reducing the urge to masturbate. The biographical piece at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg touches on the matter, for instance.

swot
218748.  Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote

Quote:
A remedy for masturbation which is almost always successful in small boys is circumcision. The operation should be performed by a surgeon without administering an anesthetic, as the brief pain attending the operation will have a salutary effect upon the mind, especially if it be connected with the idea of punishment. In females, the author has found the application of pure carbolic acid [phenol] to the clitoris an excellent means of allaying the abnormal excitement.

The bastard!

Gaz66d
336841.  Thu May 15, 2008 6:03 am Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:
Quote:
A remedy for masturbation which is almost always successful in small boys is circumcision. The operation should be performed by a surgeon without administering an anesthetic, as the brief pain attending the operation will have a salutary effect upon the mind, especially if it be connected with the idea of punishment. In females, the author has found the application of pure carbolic acid [phenol] to the clitoris an excellent means of allaying the abnormal excitement.

The bastard!

Seconded.
Although circumcision didn't stop me getting horny.
I still tried to hump a girl in the school toilets, back when I was in Kindergarten. I kid you not.

I think the "effects" of circumcision may have been a little premature, although 1900 years ago it mite make sense, (if you lived in Jerusalem) lubricant in desert conditions isn't easily found.
Justification for doing this is more or less redundant nowadays anyway.

Page 1 of 1