View previous topic | View next topic

Singapore

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

dr bartolo
742474.  Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote

oh, oh, what about haw par villa, financed by the haw par bros.
inventors of that famous "tiger balm" for many years, parents brought their children to be scared by what my american readers would call a "hell house"- tableaux of the diyu shi ba lou ( chinese for '18 courts of hell'), showing the tortures of the dammed in porcelain figures.

Efros
742475.  Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:57 am Reply with quote

Tiger Balm gardens, went there in 1970, and indeed the depictions of the various hells are really quite horrific. Probably quite tame to modern youngsters. One I remember is a machine that was a bit like a steamroller/combine harvester/road flail running over hundreds of people and mashing them up and shooting their remains out the back.

dr bartolo
742483.  Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote

speaking of the dammed, unlike christian hell, during the 7th month of the chinese lunar calender, the dammed are allowed to leave hell for a month. then, they may partake in great banquets set fot them ,consisting of tables fully laid with food, and "empty" chairs around them. for post-dinner entertinment, getai , shows or concerts consisting of women belting out the latest pop songs, or a droning chinese opera show. as a result of this, (ill-informed) westerners have christened this "hungry ghost festival" when the aforementioned ghosts are really well-fed....

Sadurian Mike
742505.  Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Tiger Balm gardens, went there in 1970, and indeed the depictions of the various hells are really quite horrific. Probably quite tame to modern youngsters. One I remember is a machine that was a bit like a steamroller/combine harvester/road flail running over hundreds of people and mashing them up and shooting their remains out the back.

I saw the Hong Kong Tiger Balm Gardens when I was ten, and they were gruesome enough to hold our rapt attentions.

Sadly they have now been mostly destroyed to make room for development.

dr bartolo
742658.  Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote

yes, yes I was about to mention that.... and the theme park called "gay world" no, really! it did exist! sadly it has been demoilshed

dr bartolo
745707.  Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:33 am Reply with quote

oh.... what about the tang kee a physical medum who in the taoist religion, claims to take on the spirit of a god. and in the process, perform " amazing" feats, like burning himself with fire, or laying unharmed upon beds of nails? he often takes the place of a folk healer, giving advice to the troubed

Eileenx
749009.  Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote

dr bartolo wrote:
just a comment upon the g-series episode "future"- stephen's pronuciation of singlish is entirely inaccurate-if he were to pronounce singlish like that in singapore, the locals would collapse laughing .For a start, the words "lay leo" and 'lo lex' are simply idosyncratic singaporean pronounciations of the words 'radio' and 'rolex' even then, the manner of pronounciation would be considered very bumpkinish,reserved for the coarse lower class"ah beng"

I loled so hard when Stephen tried to pronounce the words and I had no idea what he was saying at all!

dr bartolo
760561.  Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lexx8JH5pNQ

vickleberry
1241402.  Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote

Hi everyone! It doesn't look like anyone has posted on this thread in a while, but I couldn't resist sharing my favourite Singapore fact for my first post!

Years ago I got the chance to visit Singapore with a friend whose dad was living and working there at the time. On the drive from the airport her dad was telling us facts and such about Singapore, and there were these tall, white pot plant holder frames along the highway as a medium strip. After looking into it Iíve read that there are concrete medium strips and other things rather than white metal framesÖ so maybe my memory is hazy on that detail haha! My friendís dad told us that because Singapore is so small that the highway can act as a backup landing strip for the airport/military in emergencies and such. The white pot plant holders can be moved and the highway is flat and wide enough for planes to land.

I loved this fact, and looked into it to verify it was true and it is! Itís called a Highway Strip and its used in a handful of countries around the world Ė most appear to be small countries, but larger ones such as Germany (where they were first developed) also have them.

Hope thatís a good first fact! Has anyone heard of Singaporeís highway strip before Ė or seen it in use?! And can anyone confirm whether itís because Singapore is so small that they have highway strips, or is it because of another reason?

Efros
1241410.  Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:43 am Reply with quote

I believe one of the design requirements of the SAAB Viggen was that it could do this very thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZkYnr58DOw

PDR
1241413.  Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:18 am Reply with quote

Viggen, Draaken, Grippen and indeed many of their predecessors. Sweeden saw itself potentially under threat (despite its neutral stance) and being so close to the soviet border they assumed that day-1 of any aggression would see hundreds of fighter-bombers destroying every runway in the country, so the practical mitigation was to create literalluy hundreds of miles of potentially-usable runways and design their aeroplanes to fit them.

The belief is that as they have this available an aggressor won't bother attacking the airfields - the concept acts as a deterent. But to be credible they must show it is practicable, so they still exercise on closed road sections several times a year.

The Swiss addressed the same problem by placing their spare runways in mountain tunnels, and they are awesome facilities. But the Swiss are strange people...

PDR

Efros
1241421.  Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:05 am Reply with quote

Only reason I know about the Viggen is down to an Airfix kit of it I built in about 1970, quite beautiful aircraft. I think the box art had it taking off from a motorway.

crissdee
1241424.  Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:15 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
The Swiss addressed the same problem by placing their spare runways in mountain tunnels, and they are awesome facilities.

And more than a trifle noisy in use, I might guess.

PDR
1241425.  Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:27 am Reply with quote

Not sure I'd ever call the viggen "beautiful", but it was an effective aroplane in its day. The draken was less so, because it was trying to produce a design with low wing-loading for take-off/landing performance AND low all-up weight for low power-loading and good climb and turn performance (these are contradictory requirements). The result ended up a serious fuel-hog.

The Swedes sold many of their Drakkens to Austria, but after a few years Austria decided that their fuel-consumption didn't really fit with their "green" pretensions, so they scrapped them.

PDR

PDR
1241426.  Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:27 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
PDR wrote:
The Swiss addressed the same problem by placing their spare runways in mountain tunnels, and they are awesome facilities.

And more than a trifle noisy in use, I might guess.

Pardon?

PDR

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next