View previous topic | View next topic

Singapore

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

dr bartolo
735031.  Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote

singlish, is a primarily comprised of hokkien, a dialect spoken in the fuchian region of china, & a smattering of maly here and there .Here's s some usefull volcabulary
lui actually a malay word meaning money, but so widely used, that ,at least in singapore , no one cares- the proper word, BTW is "tznee" ( approx. pron.)
si (sI) die- use as in english

chim(tchim)- difficult, complicated,- subjects like this will be considered chim by the ah beng ( see above post)
sai -(SHAI) Shit. use as in english.
[/i]ohr khim (Lit. black gold) an euphemism for the above

Vera C
736725.  Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote

I've lived in Singapore at one time and I believe I can remember what those phrases are (they're mainly Hokkien). Here's the IPA rendering of their pronunciation (tones omitted).

Lui, si, chim and sai are pronounced more or less as they are spelt (and that the "ch" in chim is aspirated).

tznee - /tsĩ/ has a nasalised vowel; the /ts/ is unaspirated.

ohr khim - /ɔ: kim/; the /k/ is unaspirated.

Note: the distinction between aspirated and unaspirated consonants is phonetically significant in Hokkien.

dr bartolo
736788.  Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote

thanks, vera!
and now for somthing completely diffrent.....

in singapore, during the 7th month of the chinese lunar calander, people belive that things sold by auction will bring good luck,for they belive that the spirits will bless them . as a result, pencils & other household goods will fetch extrodinary prices, and pencils bought in this manner , it is belived will write down lucky lottery numbers.

dr bartolo
736914.  Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote

note-mahjong sets, belived to bring victory to the possesor, and lumps of charcoal, thaught for some unknown reason to bring wealth ,can reach similary extravigant prices...

dr bartolo
739632.  Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote

OK, a change of sublect:
in hokkien, there is a word hao lam-which meant a proffesional mourner. another funerary characterr was the ho mia lang-lit. "good life man"-a old person who walked in front of the hearse, leading the procession.

Jenny
739946.  Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote

There used to be professional mourners in the west in the past I think.

According to http://everything2.com/user/ataraxia/writeups/Professional+mourners the Irish church forbade them in the 17th century.

Zebra57
739963.  Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote

Welcome doc thanks for an interesting contribution about Singapore

Sadurian Mike
740119.  Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:13 am Reply with quote

The fall of Singapore to the Japanese in 1942 is QI for a few reasons, none of them very comfortable reading for we Brits.

Firstly, Singapore was invested with such importance by the British in the Far East that it's fall was inevitably going to be a huge blow to morale.

Such an important colony could have expected to be heavily fortified, and so it was. There were concrete bunkers and large coastal guns, plus numerous other defences which would have made the place a very tough nut to crack... had the enemy come in from the sea. The Japanese did not play to the same rules, however, and decided instead to attack through Malaya and thus from what was effectively a landward side, where no thought had been given to fortification because the jungle was seen as sufficient to stop any invasion.

The naval defence of Singapore was centred around the battleship, HMS Prince of Wales and the battlecruiser, HMS Repulse. Both were modern and very capable capital ships, but a lack of British air power (the airforce had been outclassed and in any case was largely destroyed on the ground) meant that they were sunk by air attack as they steamed to intercept the Japanese invasion fleet approaching the Malay peninsula.

Some of the most tenacious defenders were actually the troops of the Malay Regiment (later to become the Royal Malay Regiment) who had seen their home country overrun. They not only fought stubbornly until they ran out of ammunition, but then attacked the Japanese hand to hand!

When General Percival surrendered Singapore to the Japanese, it was discovered that the defenders' shortage of water and supplies had actually been no worse than those suffered by the Japanese. Crucially, however, the Japanese had managed to overrun the main supply depot and reservoirs and so had solved their supply problem at the same time as making that of the defenders far worse.

The Japanese soon demonstrated the ruthlessness and cruelty for which they later became notorious; no prisoners were taken on the move through Malaya and into Singapore, the inhabitants of the Alexandra Hospital were slaughtered, and the citizens of Singapore itself were subjected to mass murder and rape after the surrender, the ethnically Chinese and Malay peoples especially suffering terribly. General Yamashita, who had taken Percival's surrender and taken responsibility for Singapore's inhabitants and prisoners, was never charged with War Crimes in relation to Mayala and Singapore, but was hanged by the US for similar War Crimes relating to the Phillipines.

http://www.s1942.org.sg/s1942/dir_defence5.htm
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/fall_of_singapore.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Singapore

Efros
740135.  Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote

I can remember in the late 60s and early 70s the hatred of the older Singaporeans for all things Japanese, and quiet comments about so and so's relative who had collaborated during the occupation.

dr bartolo
740192.  Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote

please stop talking about the fall of singapore... I don't like to hear of it, partially because of my granny, but mostly I was forced to learn this at school....
anaway, to change the subject, what about the elaborate & over the top funerals in singapore? undertakers offer funerals (read: parties) of either 3 or 5 day duration. the event always concedes with the burning of a paper " mansion" complete with maids, privy &c , and loads of joss paper-you must burn another house on the 1st death anneversary, for apparently, the "lease " on the house expires!

Sadurian Mike
740198.  Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote

dr bartolo wrote:
please stop talking about the fall of singapore... I don't like to hear of it, partially because of my granny, but mostly I was forced to learn this at school....

The "Singapore" thread did seem an obvious place to discuss it!

dr bartolo
740209.  Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote

Then,what about the paper cars, and opium sets?-with this, you may think that hell is a tax haven... apparently not! there is a special type of joss paper, that is used to pay"tax" & what about guo lu chian preforated bits of paper, used in the manner of the two coins over the eyes of the ancient greeks, to pay for safe passage into hell
there are two things that are certain: death & taxation- with this, tax does not spare the dead!

Efros
740214.  Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:00 am Reply with quote

You could also get banknotes for burning, they were issued by Hell Bank.

Sadurian Mike
740223.  Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote

The Japanese, during their occupation, issue "banana money". It rapidly ran out of control and devalued many times.

Come the liberation, it became completely worthless, bankrupting many who had managed to accumulate wealth in the banana money currency.

dr bartolo
740229.  Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote

as for the banknotes, like banana money, both hell & post war singapore to have runaway hyperinflation, I have seen banknotes up to the 20th power...

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next