View previous topic | View next topic

Rhinoceros

Page 1 of 1

Hans Mof
213309.  Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:08 am Reply with quote

In 1515 German artist Albrecht Dürer created a woodcut of a rhinoceros. Without ever seeing a live rhinoceros Dürer based his image on a written prescription and a rather naive sketch.

The inscription on the woodcut his mainly based on Pliny the Elder's (!) account in Naturalis Historia.

Quote:
In the year of our Lord 1513, on the first of May, it has been brought from India to the powerful King Emanual of Portual in Lisbon such living creature which they call Rhinoceros. It is, in all detail, depicted here.

It is the colour of a speckled tortoise and is covered with thick plates. It is the size of an elephant but has shorter legs and is very well fended. It has a strong and sharp horn which it sharpens on stones to be a victorious animal.

It is the mortal enemy of the elephant. The elephant fears it greatly, for, when it approaches, the animal charges with its head between its front legs and rips open the elephant's down at its stomach an retches it, against which the elephant is unable to defend itself because the rhinoceros is so well-armed that the elephant cannot harm it.

They also say, that the rhinoceros is fast, wild and frolicsome.

The rather sad story of the "modelling" rhinocerus was the basis for Lawrence Norfolk‘s novel The Popes Rhinoceros.

grizzly
213404.  Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote

Quote:
written prescription and a rather naive sketch

I wouldn't normally correct someone but I know you prefer it when we do. I believe you meant description.

Hans Mof
213407.  Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote

Hmmm, you might be right, grizzly. However, the sketch, as well as the woodcut, looks as if made while under the influence of prescription drugs.

scottydog
264185.  Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote

I saw on one of the many discovery channels that Rhino's have muscles in the base of their penis (the males that is) that allow independent movement of said body part.

How useful.

"Pass me the remote control dear" she would say,

With my hands firmly behind my head I'd reply, "There you go darling..."

Marvelous.

mark crawford
907701.  Mon May 07, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote

on sundays episode of qi that described the honey badger as pound for pound the most aggressive mammal ...stephen mentioned that the rhino was a docile creature...maybe so for the white rhino but no way for the black rhino hunted almost to extinction this very warey creature is easily agitated and very very aggressive

Page 1 of 1