View previous topic | View next topic

Coyote

Page 1 of 1

Hans Mof
213266.  Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:51 am Reply with quote

The coyote (or prairie wolf) is found throughout North and Central America; from Canada to Costa Rica. Its name derives from the Nahuatl language (coyotl = half-breed). The latin name Canis latrans translates as barking dog, and refers to the coyote's very "communicative and forthcomming" nature. Their calls range from howls to yips, yelps and (unlike wolfs) barks.

Coyotes don't mind "chatting" with humans. In areas where coyotes have grown accustomed to humans calling back to them, they tend to continue with simpler calls back to the humans and return to more complex calls when the humans get tired of calling to them.

Hans Mof
213351.  Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote

While Wile E. Coyote is be the best known representative of his species in modern culture, "Little John" might be the most importand coyote in the history of arts.

In May 1974, German performance artist Joseph Beuys lived and communicated for three days and nights with "Little John" in a small room in the newly-opened Rene Block Gallery, New York .

After flying into New York, he was swathed in felt and loaded into an ambulance, then driven to the gallery where the Aktion took place, without having once touched American soil. As Beuys later explained: "I wanted to isolate myself, insulate myself, see nothing of America other than the coyote."

The coyote's behaviour shifted throughout the three days, becoming cautious, detached, aggressive and sometimes companionable. In addition, fifty new copies of the Wall Street Journal were introduced each day, which the coyote acknowledged by urinating on them. This fit in with the irony-filled title of the performance: I like America and America likes me. At the end of the Aktion, Beuys was again wrapped in felt and returned to the airport.

www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/beuys/room4_lg2.shtm

Tas
213361.  Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote

But what happened to the Coyote?

BTW, many Native American cultures revere Coyote as the Wily Trickster within their pantheon of animal totems.

:-)

Tas

Hans Mof
213374.  Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote

What happened to the real Little John I do not know. However, there seems to be a French video game dealing with it.

Quote:
"Little-John Coyote is captured in the desert by a museum conservator for a re-enactment of the well known act of Joseph Beuys, 'I like America and America likes me'. To get away from the museum and avoid the taxidermist, Little-John must cross the Bruce Naumann exhibition and thus face American violence one more time."

Translation by suze (thank you)

Page 1 of 1