View previous topic | View next topic

Films

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

eggshaped
350273.  Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote

That said, Mitch is 100% certain that it was censored. Can't remember what his source was, but I spoke to him about it after a meeting and he was unswayable. You may want to ask him.

eggshaped
355073.  Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote

Director Alan Smithee was born in 1967, the same year as he directed his first film, Death of a Gunfighter. Critics said: "Smithee's direction keeps the action taut and he draws convincing portrayals from the supporting cast."

Since then, Smithee has directed many many films, some say more than any other name. The reason is that Alan Smithee is the name assumed when directors want to disown a film.

The Directors' Guild generally doesn't allow disownment, but in exceptional cases (usually when a film was cut heavily against their wishes) they allow it, and the alias is adopted.

The guild thought about naming the person "smith" or "smithe", but added an extra "e" because it made it very unlikely that a real director would come along with the same name. It is also an anagram of "The Alias Man", though it is likely that this is a co-incidence.

Smithee's films include:
"Let's Get Harry"
"Solar Crisis"
"The Shrimp on the Barbie"
"Shim Sham Shimmy"
and
"A River Made to Drown In"

Why should you not bother watching a film directed by Alan Smithee?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000647/bio

Jenny
355088.  Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote

Just because the director wants to disown it doesn't necessarily mean it was a lousy movie, does it?

Flash
355857.  Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote

Smithee was in the first series. Actually, if anything this is a Gen Ig because I believe the DGA has changed the name because Smithee became so widely-known to the public. The name they use now is Thomas Lee.

eggshaped
449280.  Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote

A little more on the Wilhelm Scream. Sure enough, it can be found in a number of Computer Games, including Grand Theft Auto IV.

List here

CEL-Kali
775616.  Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Just because the director wants to disown it doesn't necessarily mean it was a lousy movie, does it?

That is one reason. Another reason could be that the movie didn't turn out how the director wanted it to, and a load of business was introduced to the film versus the creativity of the director. So they don't believe they made it, but a company did, therefore they would disown it. Somewhat related, this is how Joel Hodgson left Mystery Science Theater 3000. He had no creative control over The Movie, and it left him depressed. Had to see a psychiatrist for years.

It also applies to the writers. I know Clive Barker disowned a movie 'based' off of his story Rawhead Rex (Books of Blood, V III). It had nothing to do with the story and the being didn't even resemble his creation. In fact, that's what lead to Barker directing his own movies, since almost all of the adaptations were terrible. That's how Hellraiser (based on The Hellbound Heart), Candyman, and Nightbreed (based on Cabal) were created. However, he did not direct Midnight Meat Train (Books of Blood V I), Books of Blood (prologue to the rest of the stories in Books of Blood), and Dread (Books of Blood V II).

Wow. How many times am I going to write Books of Blood?

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5