View previous topic | View next topic

Films

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

eggshaped
212983.  Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote

The first feature film - "A commercially made film of over an hour" - was The Story of the Kelly Gang, filmed in Australia in 1906. It was 4000 ft long and had a running time of around 70 minutes.

The actual armour used by Ned Kelly was borrowed from the Victorian museum and worn by the lead actor, an unidentified Canadian who disappeared before the end of filming. Later scenes were recorded with an extra in the lead role and were taken in a long shot.

The film's budget was £450 which it made back in its first week; eventually grossing over £25,000.

s: Film Facts, Patrick Robertson

Jenny
213106.  Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote

I wonder what other films we could compare it to that have made that level of profit in comparison to the original budget.

eggshaped
213126.  Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote

I thought at first it may have been the greatest percentage profit ever - but I bet that would go to something like Blair Witch.

eggshaped
213255.  Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:51 am Reply with quote

I think I've found the greatest percentage profit - infinity%

According to "film facts":

Oday Rasheed's "Under Exposure" was made on a budget of zero dollars. It was the first film made in post-Saddam Iraq. The film stock was 20 years old and abandoned; camera equipment came in exchange for a share of the profits; Kodak developed the negatives for free in Beirut; and cast and crew (knowing that alternative employment often involved death) agreed to work for scale which in post-saddam Iraq was nothing.

Not sure if this stands up, but the film definitely exists.

Jenny
238231.  Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote

This is from this week's Popbitch (woohoo - what a source!) The last item seems QI to me:

Quote:

Tall tales of little folk

The Wizard of Oz movie is 68 years old. The surviving nine (out of 124) munchkins gathered last week to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. So many legends exist about these little folk's extraordinary behaviour on set that we investigated.

Many tales were started by Judy Garland. She once claimed a munchkin approached her on set and said "Judy, someday I'm going to fuck you." Her alleged reply? "If you do and I catch you..."

The rest of the myths decoded - true or false:

* Boozing
One drunken munchkin supposedly fell into a toilet at MGM and had to be rescued. TRUE-ISH!

* Orgies
Mervyn Leroy, the film's producer, joked about epic munchkin group sex sessions. 124 little folk in one place... we have no other evidence, but we still say TRUE!

* Hanging
Legend says that one heartbroken munchkin hanged himself during filming. When Dorothy & co. dance down the yellow brick road you see a large object swinging in the background. It's no munchkin, it's a bird: FALSE! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r89z_-1by6U

* Dwarfs v Dog
Did they get paid less than Toto? Munchkin Jerry Maren said they were paid $50 per week for a 6-day working week. Toto, the dog,
got $125 per week. TRUE!

Jenny
240186.  Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote

A letter in today's Guardian asserts that Saddam Hussein's favourite film was Charlie Chaplin in The Great Dictator. It doesn't say why, though.

dr.bob
261012.  Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:17 am Reply with quote

As I posted in post 206278 on the outer boards, I saw a documentary a while ago that claimed that the most successful film in UK box office history was the 80 minute long documentary "The Battle of the Somme" released in 1916.

Ticket sales have "been calculated" (whatever that means) at 20 million in the first six weeks (at a time when the UK population was only 43 million).

Unfortunately, all box office figures these days tend to talk about receipts rather than number of tickets, so verifying the figures may well be next to impossible.

MatC
285126.  Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote

From the Chicago Record, 1898:

Quote:
The single invention of throwing moving pictures on screen, variously known as the vitascope or kinetoscope, has added dozens of new words to the language within the last year or two. Here is a list of the various names for “movement photography:” Phantoscope, criterioscope, vitascope, cinematograph, biograph, kinematograph, wonderscope, animatoscope, vitagraph, panoramograph, cosmoscope, anarithmoscope, katoptikum, magniscope, zoeoptrotrope, variscope, phantasmagoria, projectoscope, cinograph, hypnoscope, centograph, X-ograph, electroscope, cinegraphoscope, craboscope, vitaletiscope, cinematoscope, mutoscope, cinoscope, animaloscope, theatograph, chronophotographoscope, cinnomonograph, motograph, kinetograph, rayoscope, motorscope, kinetiphone, thromotrope, phenakistoscope, venetrope, vitrescope, zinematograph, vitopticon, stinnetiscope, vivrescope, diaramiscope, lobsterscope, corminograph, kineoptoscope or any other old scope.

S: http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-mut1.htm

MatC
291318.  Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote

Staggeringly unsuccessful films:

“The Chumscrubber” - starring Jamie Bell, Glenn Close, Ralph Fiennes and Carrie-Ann Moss - in its “first and only weekend” on release in Britain grossed £36. (That means about half a dozen paying customers).

“Offending Angels” opened in Britain in 2002 at four screens; at a cinema in Croydon it played for a week, without being seen by a single person. Its total gross at all four screens was £79.

S: Daily Telegraph, 25 Nov 07

dr.bob
291401.  Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
“The Chumscrubber” - starring Jamie Bell, Glenn Close, Ralph Fiennes and Carrie-Ann Moss - in its “first and only weekend” on release in Britain grossed £36. (That means about half a dozen paying customers).

To be fair, would you pay good money to see something called “The Chumscrubber”?

MatC
291424.  Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote

I'm told people paid to watch "The Titanic," and I'd certainly choose The Chumscrubber over that!

Flash
291467.  Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote

The Chumscrubber describes himself thus, according to IMDb:
Quote:
I live in a city, but in an apartment high above the cloud left by the blast. I'm one of the lucky ones. One morning, I awoke to find my head was no longer attached to my body. I'm not dead, but who could call this a life? So I do what I can, in this city of freaks and subhuman creatures. I became... The Chumscrubber.

MatC
291468.  Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote

Right, I'm off to Blockbusters ...

eggshaped
295188.  Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quote

The world’s first single lens motion picture camera was patented in Leeds in 1888 Louis Aime Augustin Le Prince.

Le Prince used sensitised paper rolls, but once he was able to obtain cellulose he went home to France to work on a new camera. On 16th Sept 1890, Le Prince boarded a train in Dijon, intending to present his new camera to the public for the first time, but [spooky voice]HE NEVER ARRIVED[/spooky voice].

The mystery was never solved, but in 2003 a photograph of a drowning victim from 1890 was found which uncannily resembled Le Prince.

http://www.history.uk.com/articles/index.php?archive=63

eggshaped
295192.  Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:40 am Reply with quote

Question: Who invented the movie projector?

I'll give you a clue, it was called the "Edison Kinetoscope"

Forfeit: Edison

Answer: William Dickson

I'm afraid this was another of Edison's "inventions" that was actually invented by one of his laboritory workers. Most famously debunked in the publication "the edison motion picture myth" by Gordon Hendricks (1961)

http://bioscopic.wordpress.com/2007/06/15/the-edison-motion-picture-myth/
http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=209046

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next