View previous topic | View next topic

Fandoms

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ian Dunn
179500.  Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote

Fans are often seen as obssessive. However, some media theorists believe that fans have better understanding of their favourite programme or film ("Text" is the term used by people in media studies).

However, when you see news stories about a 15-year-old turning his house into a WWII shrine due to his love of Dad's Army, you do think it is a bit weird. But then again, this story was in the Daily Mail.

Efros
181756.  Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote

Generally I think Fans of any type are a bit strange, way too obsessive. Funnily enough I like most of the things that people get fanatic about (except football...yawn) but just couldn't be bothered to get that worked up about them.

Maud
181757.  Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote

On the other hand, you are on the online forum for a popular television programme.

Efros
181759.  Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote

Maud wrote:
On the other hand, you are on the online forum for a popular television programme.

True, but I'm not sitting here in my Stephen Fry monogrammed Cravat, with 6 of my fellow QInuts answering weird questions. I just happen to be bored at work!

Archie
181761.  Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
True, but I'm not sitting here in my Stephen Fry monogrammed Cravat, with 6 of my fellow QInuts answering weird questions. I just happen to be bored at work!

I hope you're wearing your sherry monacle like the rest of us on here?

suze
181763.  Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
True, but I'm not sitting here in my Stephen Fry monogrammed Cravat, with 6 of my fellow QInuts answering weird questions.

You're not? Well all the rest of us are, so fall into line at once!

swot
181774.  Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote

Archie wrote:
Efros wrote:

I'm actually wearing a Madeira pince-nez and custard socks.

Efros
181782.  Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote

Merely foppish affectations, what you really need is a moustache supporter a la Melchett, in concert with a quilted smoking jacket, a small hat and some velvet slippers. But then I'm not a fan merely an interested party.

Gluben
181809.  Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:
Archie wrote:
Efros wrote:

I'm actually wearing a Madeira pince-nez and custard socks.

You're not allowed those until you put on your gravy cardi!

Ian Dunn
181844.  Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote

I think hats must go off to one QI fan in particular.

jblackley
181861.  Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Merely foppish affectations, what you really need is a moustache supporter a la Melchett, in concert with a quilted smoking jacket, a small hat and some velvet slippers. But then I'm not a fan merely an interested party.

What does one call those small, round, embroidered hats with the long tassel? They are the bees knees in ridiculous headgear and therefore I have to have one.

suze
181868.  Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quote

If you mean one of these ...

... then it's called a smoking cap. They were worn in Victorian times to prevent one's hair smelling of smoke after smoking.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
181869.  Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote

That's quite attractive.
Someone should try to restart the fashion, even amongst non-smokers.
I'd wear one.

Sprauncy
181879.  Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote

I think some people are more prone to be obsessive with things than others.
For example, a friend of mine gets deeply obsessed with things at times, whereas I do not.
...I wouldn't call myself obsessed with QI, you understand. The book and DVD do not count. Nor rubbing the radiators with furniture polish to make the place smell posh.

dr.bob
181907.  Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:34 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
They were worn in Victorian times to prevent one's hair smelling of smoke after smoking.

That's interesting. I didn't know that before.

Presumably the same logic applies to smoking jackets: to stop your clothes smelling of smoke. Then what, one might ask, did they do to stop your breath stinking to high heaven?

If I'd been around at the time, I'd probably have sidestepped the whole issue by giving up cigarettes and simply sticking to the laudanum.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next