View previous topic | View next topic

New Members: Sign the QI Petition

Page 17 of 17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Paul-R
1254933.  Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
I do remember paying five quid for a Starbucks 'coffee' in Heathrow at 3 am.

I have never been so thirsty that I would pay £5 for a cup of coffee!

Efros
1255027.  Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote

Not thirsty just in dire need of wake up juice.

monzac
1255072.  Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote

fwk wrote:
I'm not a coffee drinker. Does Starbucks qualify for coffee flavoured?

No.

Snowywebb
1288651.  Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote

spursystarman wrote:
? I think it must be said that certain elements will certainly be lost on an American audience...

That’s what I love about British humour, it’s not ‘in your face’, and good Aussie humour follows that tradition.

Many people are not aware that Crocodile Dundee, the biggest grossing Australian movie of all time (seasonally adjusted) had to be redone for the American audience, and, unfortunately that is the only version now available for purchase on DVD.

The original had Aussie audiences rolling in the aisles but when it had a trial release in the US it bombed, the audience just didn’t get the subtle nuances that really made the film.

The alterations to the “International” version as the US release came to be called took the edge off it and was more over the top so the yanks would ‘get it’.

The new version was then released in US cinemas to rave reviews.

The original is not available to buy because it’s been the subject of legal proceedings regarding royalties for over a decade.

The only way to see it is to book a viewing via the National Film and Sound Archive of Australia.

AshaKantaSharma
1308131.  Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Its Asha Kanta Sharma from India. Just Joined the community.

Merry Christmas to all.

Have a great time everyone.

Jenny
1308323.  Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to you! What brought you to QI?

CuriosityHuman
1313966.  Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:02 am Reply with quote

Hello all, just to ask, is QI Not broadcast in USA?
Had a quick look through this thread and didnt get a definitive answer, surely its their loss that they cant get it?.
Do they not get the repeats on "Dave" either?.

Jenny
1313967.  Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote

We don't get Dave here in the USA :-(

BBC America broadcast one series here, some years ago, but I believe Hulu is the only way to get them here.

I have a subscription to UKTV on my Roku but that only gives me what's on live at any time on a few channels (including Dave) and I don't know what the programming is, so if I catch QI on there it's a matter of luck.

There is also (I'm told, ahem) the possibility of using a VPN to log in to iPlayer if you happen to know a UK post code to use where there is a TV license.

Efros
1313975.  Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote

QI use pictures and some video in their shows and from what I understand the difficulty in licensing these for other markets is what prevents QI being broadcast over here in the US. It also explains the rather haphazard mix of episodes BBC America did show, which exhibited no rhyme nor reason at the time.

Page 17 of 17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17