View previous topic | View next topic

FAC 501

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

djgordy
205372.  Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote

As some people might know, Factory Records releases were all given catalogue numbers with the prefix FAC. This numbering applied not only to records etc but also to other items associated with the Factory Label. Most famously, the Hacienda nightclub was FAC 51 but other things were awarded the same honour*. Even the Factory cat had its own number, FAC 191.

The final catalogue number, FAC 501, was given to Tony Wilson's coffin.

*This was very irritating for the sad kind of people who like to collect records because they could never have the entire run of numbers.

suze
205377.  Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Ooh thanks djg, I'd heard the thing about the Hacienda having a catalog number before and been somewhat skeptical. But it's true!

Are we making a distinction between "the sad kind of people who like to collect records" and people who just have rather a lot of them?

djgordy
205382.  Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote

Oh we certainly are making that distinction. I have thousands of records but I would never class myself as a record collector.

For instance, quite a lot of people collect Motown records. They have little books with all the numbers they haven't got. Now, although Motown released many great records, they also released lots of terrible records. Only a sad record collector would ever search out TMG 1260 simply because it is on Motown as it is "Never Been to Me" by Charlene.

masterfroggy
215547.  Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Only a sad record collector would ever search out TMG 1260 simply because it is on Motown as it is "Never Been to Me" by Charlene.

Its actually called I've Never Been To Me " by Charlene

Davini994
215873.  Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote

WARP records do the same.

****Caution, makes noise****************************

Click on the album link, it's very pretty: http://www.warprecords.com/

****Caution, makes noise****************************

Last edited by Davini994 on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Neotenic
215875.  Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote

...Although be sure to mute your speakers on your work PC before clinking that link.

Now everybody knows I'm not really working....

Although, because of that I have found out that there is an imminent release due from Battles, who I think are splendid. So it's all to the good.

Davini994
215886.  Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quote

Whoops, sorry. Didn't realise, as I do have my speakers set to mute!

Cool, another WARP fan! I used to have the first 100 or so lined up on a shelf, in order. Not sure what's happened to half of them now.

Neotenic
215893.  Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote

I'm not actually a Warp fan per se (sorry) - but I do really like Battles.

I go all catalogue number nerdy over Ipecac Recordings myself - and John Stanier is the drummer in both Battles and Tomahawk.

ceefax
216236.  Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:26 am Reply with quote

anybody gonna watch aphex twin in manchester?

Anthony wilsons funeral was advertised in the press as "Guest list only"...very wilson

Davini994
216237.  Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:29 am Reply with quote

ceefax wrote:
anybody gonna watch aphex twin in manchester?

Hoping to, haven't sorted it out yet.

Not sure what to expect though, I've only really ever been into the epic chillout stuff, although I love that.

Neotenic
216523.  Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Wouldn't it just be our boy Richie with a big bank of twiddly knobs and doohickeys?

Davini994
216564.  Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quote

Well yes, but what sort of music he plays live is what I mean.

ceefax
216632.  Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quote

im mates with the guys who put it on, used to run sequence in manchester with them if any of you are familiar with that night.

id get busy though as its sold out.

The line up is pretty monumental though aphex and vibert.

You can always expect some trickery with aphex dj set..i think the last time out he just played white noise for about half an hour to get all the dicks out and then went bonkers.

Darth
222014.  Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote

Apologies for going back to the original thread but I seem to remember from a very tough music industry quiz a few years ago many of us were stumped as to what the very first Factory Records release FAC01 was. The answer was apparently a poster but for quite what for I can't remember. Anyone have any clue?

By the way I had occasions to meet and deal with Anthony H Wilson and he was a gentleman. Bonkers at times. But a gentleman. And a genius often.

Nobbler
222021.  Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote

http://home.dialix.com/~u3336/factory/index2.html

A full list of the Factory Records catalog numbers.

Sorry would put more info here but typing with one hand due to an arguement with a chop saw.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next