View previous topic | View next topic

genealogy

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

tethys
3994.  Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:07 pm Reply with quote

I have just started tracing my ancestors, what fun!! I have got as far back as my great, great, great grandmother in 1821, and am now awaiting the delivery of birth, marriage and death certificates!
The 1901 census for England can be searched on line at www.census.pro.gov.uk and there is a free search facility for 1881 census at www.familysearch.org.
The sites to search for birth, death and marriage certs are chargeable, but one is free although not complete at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

happy hunting! :O)

PS 'ello Jen xx

Jenny
3999.  Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:59 pm Reply with quote

'Ello to you too teth! And welcome! We can always do with another scientist around the place, particularly such a nice one :-)

I've just got started on doing this too, and found this an excellently useful site:

http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/

I found my mum and my grandmother, and I've sent for my grandmother's birth certificate so I can find out my great-grandmother's maiden name.

tethys
4192.  Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:26 am Reply with quote

what a coincidence! it is great fun isn't it? I found another set of my great great granparents and family on 1901 census last night amazing feeling!

yes, I've been to that site and had birth, marriage and death certs already! got to limit myself now though, at 7 a shot it can soon mount up!

so scientists are allowed here are they? thought it might be just a books place :O)

xx

Jenny
4199.  Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:01 pm Reply with quote

No - scientists are greatly treasured and looked up to respectfully!

Icarus
8914.  Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:05 pm Reply with quote

Found on the QI database earlier

On September 26th, 1820, the famous frontiersman Daniel Boone died in Defiance, Missouri. He was born in Birdsboro, Pennsylvania. His father and one of his brother's were both called 'Squire' and his rifle was called 'Tick-Licker'. His second son was killed at the Battle of Blue Licks (1782). He was called 'Israel'

Squire is my great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather, plus or minus a great, so I was never close with Uncle Dan, as I like to think of him, but he had an extraordinary life.

Jenny
8939.  Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:17 pm Reply with quote

I am told that an uncle of my mother's was the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Sebastopol, sometime in the twenties or thirties I think. My mother's father's family all went into the church except him, fortuitously, or I wouldn't be here.

laidbacklazyman
8946.  Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:05 pm Reply with quote

I have tried to look into my family tree but I only seem to get as far as my great grandfather on the male side of the tree, my dad's mum's namr can be traced back generation upon generation. It seems my Grandads uncle was a bit of a rogue and a prompt name change came about to distance the black sheep from the rest of the family the tree stops there. Legend has it the uncle emigrated in the mid 19th century alledgedly to Canada, although it would seem there are an awful lot of O'Neil's(an unusual spelling) in the Boston / Salem area so I often wonder if this was, in fact, where he ended up.

Jenny
8964.  Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:43 am Reply with quote

Could well be Andy - there are an awful lot of Irish in Massachusetts. I can't go back any further on my dad's paternal side than his father, who was abandoned as a baby by a horse trough in Hull city centre, and given the surname Brown by the orphanage because that was the next name on their list. So I'm probably descended from a long line of irresponsible drunken trawlermen!

laidbacklazyman
8965.  Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:59 am Reply with quote

You were abandoned by a horse? how unfortunate.

Jenny
8969.  Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:10 am Reply with quote

Horse trough dear! And it was my granddad. I've been abandoned in my time, of course, but that is probably Too Much Information.

Flash
8976.  Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:00 pm Reply with quote

Can anyone explain that Paul Simon lyric about "a come-on from the horse on Seventh Avenue"? Or does this query belong on the Mondegreen thread?

Jenny
9001.  Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:46 am Reply with quote

I hate to tell you this, Flash, but that's definitely a Mondegreen. It's 'a come-on from the whores on Seventh Avenue'

Flash
9005.  Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:31 pm Reply with quote

Well I know that's what it sounds like, of course, but Paul Simon seems like such a nice boy.

Frederick The Monk
9007.  Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote

It might be a 'come-on from the hordes on Seventh Avenue'?

Perhaps he was in a marathon and there were lots of people there cheering him on?

jaygeemack
1235581.  Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I am told that an uncle of my mother's was the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Sebastopol, sometime in the twenties or thirties I think. My mother's father's family all went into the church except him, fortuitously, or I wouldn't be here.

This might be a good place to find details of your archiepiscopal uncle, Jenny. It looks like there is no 'real' Archdiocese of Sebastopol, but there are a few titular ones. Titular sees tend to be ancient dioceses which no longer exist, and the title is given to bishops who do not have a 'real' diocese of their own. Auxiliary bishops, for example, are made bishops of titular sees.

http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/las3.html

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next