View previous topic | View next topic

Antidepressants and dopamine

Page 1 of 1

daisyq
325492.  Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote

I just read the following terrifying statement in the book:

"Using drugs leads your brain to stop producing its own dopamine almost completely."

Can anyone provide a reference for this? I'm having a hard time believing it's true.

McCrack
345737.  Tue May 27, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote

Never heard of that....Certain drugs such as alcohol, cocaine and opiate based substances bind to dopamine receptors in the brain and affect their ability to uptake dopamine in the future which is the root cause of addiction.

Other substances such as cannabis bind to andamide receptors and do not change the nature of the receptor.

Jenny
345848.  Tue May 27, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote

I thought the opiates bound to opiate receptors? But I am neither a chemist nor a biologist...

Magister
356810.  Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote

It is fairly common knowledge among drug practitioners that long term use of opiates causes the brain to drastically reduce the production of 'natural painkillers' and can take around 6 (uncomfortable) months to get back up to normal production.

I believe this is because the ingested opioids tend to bind to the receptors and because threrefore the body is getting its reward without the need to produce its own so heavily it reduces production.

Page 1 of 1