View previous topic | View next topic

Danger

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

suze
205253.  Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote

I'm happy to do one as well, although my Polish Internet connection isn't the world's fastest so it should probably be during half term when I'm back in England for a week.

eggshaped
205256.  Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote

I'll start looking for nuggets now. Will surely do one - though it will have to be later on as I may be away at the start of Oct.

constitute5367
207339.  Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
What is the most dangerous sport in the USA?

War, clearly.

Frances
209255.  Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote

Don't forget that in the majority of contests in fishing, one of the participants dies; so the death rate must be in the region of 80%.

Frances
209256.  Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote

Don't forget that in the majority of contests in fishing, one of the participants dies; so the death rate must be in the region of 80%.

getmeaguiness
209259.  Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote

I remember a documentary about the US and I recall some form of power boat racing as being the most dangerous.

Will have a root around and see if I can get some sources.

getmeaguiness
209266.  Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote

I am getting a lot of results mentioning cheerleading as being the most dangerous of sporting activites but I think you would need to quantify it. I suspect that the percentage of people partipating in a sport that get injured or killed is a better marker for a sports dangerousness.

Due to the number of participants (I have no data here to back me up but bear with me) involved with cheerleading being so high compared with the number of injuries then the percentage chance of sustaining an injury compared with something like downhill mountainbiking or bull riding is bound to be lower. I would suspect that you are more likely to pick up an injury sitting astride a mad bull than chucking a pom pom round and flashing your knickers to the stands.

With regards to the risk of death from cheerleading then I would hazard a guess that strapping yourself to a rocket powered drag racer is more likely to grant you a place in the queue to see St Peter at the pearly gates than sitting on a river bank with a flask of coffee and a tupperware box of maggots.

Whadya think?

suze
209279.  Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote

Way back when, the Book of Lists (the first one, the grey one) included a chart compiled by actuaries to show the most dangerous occupations per capita. I no longer have that book, but iirc, power boat racers and racing car drivers figured high up the list - so no surprise there. Again I'm going from 25 year old memory, but I think they cited astronaut as the most dangerous job.

Davini994
209322.  Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote

I'd suggest that there are no deaths from bull riding, due to that being a made up sport.

Isn't it?

;)

Efros
209339.  Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote

Definition:Sport

That with which one plays, or which is driven about in play; a toy; a plaything; an object of mockery.

OK Cheerleading and Cheerleaders fit all these categories I think.

Fat Cat
209582.  Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote

Frances wrote:

???

Tas
209584.  Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:00 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Frances wrote:

???

Eg 1 fisherman, four fish caught (that die). Ergo 80% mortality rate for the 'participants'.

:-)

Tas

soup
209590.  Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:10 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:

Eg 1 fisherman, four fish caught (that die). Ergo 80% mortality rate for the 'participants'.
Tas

Not a fisherman myself so have no real experience but there's a chap on telly (Rex Hunt?) that catches the fish, kisses them and then lets them swim away. A LOT more of the anglers I see (admittadely on telly) let the fish live than kill them .

Seem to remember reading an article that stated that fish are covered in a "slime" and handling them removes that "slime" so even released fish die within a day as they can't live without a full "slime" coating. No idea if that is true, feasible, etc.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2