View previous topic | View next topic

Flash Lingo

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

markvent
203320.  Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote

I've been reading up on my Flash Lingo...

Flash - expensive, showy
Flash Gent - showing off his wealth, and by inference is a criminal.
Flash Lingo - Cant (criminal slang)

Quote:
Rum Bubbers - "a dexterous fellow at stealing silver tankards from inns and taverns."
Quote:
Groaners - "fellows who go around with street preachers, who, while the mock parson is preaching, they pick the pockets of the listeners"
Quote:
Duffers - "cheats who ply in different parts of London and pretend to deal in smuggled goods and sell goods at double their price."
Quote:
Lully Priggers - "thieves who decoy children to some secluded place and rob them of their clothes or steal clothes hung out to dry."
Quote:
Starrers - "theives who smash shop windows and steal items from within."
Quote:
Mounters - "a hawker of quack medicines who attracts customers with stories, jokes, or tricks"
Quote:
Cloak Twitchers - "rogues who lurk about the entrances into dark alleys, and bye-lanes, to snatch cloaks from the shoulders of passers-by"
Quote:
Money Droppers - "cheats who drop money, which they pretend to find just before some country lad; and by way of giving him a share of their good luck, entice him into a public house, where they and their confederates cheat or rob him of what money he has about him"
Quote:
Rushers - "thieves who knock at the doors of great houses in London, in summer time, when the families are gone out of town, and on the door being opened by a woman, rush in and rob the house"
Quote:
Fawney Coves - "a fellow who drops a brass ring, double gilt, which he picks up before the party meant to be cheated, and to whom he disposes of it for less than its supposed, and ten times more than its real, value"
Quote:
Adam Iglers - "a pickpocket’s associate, who receives the stolen goods, and runs off with them."
Quote:
Buffers - "one that steals and kills horses and dogs for their skins"
Quote:
Dragsmen - "one who cuts the luggage straps on carriages (drags) and steals the trunks"

Mark.

djgordy
203405.  Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote

markvent wrote:
Quote:
Mounters - "a hawker of quack medicines who attracts customers with stories, jokes, or tricks"

Mountebank \MOUN-tuh-bank\, noun:
1. A peddler of quack medicine, who stands on a platform to appeal to the audience.
2. A charlatan; a boastful pretender to knowledge or a skill.

http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2000/10/30.html

mckeonj
203412.  Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote

I presume the above Flash terms are London talk.
'Fawney Cove' is interesting because it is similar to old New York slang 'the fawney jig', which was a trick practised on newly arrived Irish immigrants, who were offered a genuine gold ring to send home to wife/mother/sweetheart, but the genuine ring was switched to a common brass ring. The name derives from the Irish 'faínne'=ring.

mckeonj
203413.  Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote

The spiv character played by George Cole in the 'St Trinians' movies was called 'Flash Arry'.

markvent
203499.  Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:40 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
markvent wrote:
Quote:

Mountebank \MOUN-tuh-bank\, noun:
1. A peddler of quack medicine, who stands on a platform to appeal to the audience.
2. A charlatan; a boastful pretender to knowledge or a skill.

http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2000/10/30.html

Sorry I got a "Mountebank" and a "Mounter" confused ;)
Quote:
Mounter - "a common perjurer, villians who give false evidence and become bail for fellows of their own stamp"

Mark.

Last edited by markvent on Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:51 am; edited 2 times in total

markvent
203501.  Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:41 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
I presume the above Flash terms are London talk.
'Fawney Cove' is interesting because it is similar to old New York slang 'the fawney jig', which was a trick practised on newly arrived Irish immigrants, who were offered a genuine gold ring to send home to wife/mother/sweetheart, but the genuine ring was switched to a common brass ring. The name derives from the Irish 'faínne'=ring.

Well Cant was a mix of romany, irish, and cockney slang and rhyming slang.

but yes the fawney jig would be performed by a fawney cove.

Mark.

markvent
203502.  Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:43 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
The spiv character played by George Cole in the 'St Trinians' movies was called 'Flash Arry'.

exactly and this is a continuation of the "Flash" meaning a slightly "dodgy" character. I always remember the tune that played as he was shown walking across the lawns etc. ;D

Mark.

mckeonj
203504.  Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:48 am Reply with quote

markvent wrote:
mckeonj wrote:

exactly and this is a continuation of the "Flash" meaning a slightly "dodgy" character. I always remember the tune that played as he was shown walking across the lawns etc. ;D

Mark.

Diddly dum de da da, diddly diddly dum

markvent
203516.  Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:19 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
markvent wrote:
mckeonj wrote:

Mark.

Diddly dum de da da, diddly diddly dum

your a braver man than me to attempt that ;)

but yes ... that tinkly piano just spoke of "sleazy pub" & "dodgy characters" & "a nod's as good as wink to a blind man" ;)

Mark.

dr.bob
203517.  Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:19 am Reply with quote

It a superbly memorable tune. I wonder who composed it.

jonp
203518.  Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:22 am Reply with quote

Sir Malcolm Arnold.

Seriously.

markvent
203519.  Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quote

A wonderful film composer called Sir Malcolm Arnold, he also scored The Sea Shall Not have Them and The Heroes of Telemark as well as his most famous, The Bridge On The River Kwai.

Mark.

AlexB
203521.  Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:30 am Reply with quote

The keeping of Flash Company has ruined me quite.
Has ruined me quite, and a great many more,
If it hadn't been Flash Company, I'd have never have been so poor.

Sorry, damn song has been stuck in my head since the topic was brought up, and quite fitting too I should think, what with all this flash talk going on.

markvent
203522.  Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:30 am Reply with quote

nuts, jonp beat me ;)

well how about this for a shudder ... in the 2007 adaption of St Trinian's Flash Harry will be played by Russell Brand.

noooooooooooooo don't let them do it !!

Mark.

jonp
203523.  Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:34 am Reply with quote

Off-topic, but sad news if you hadn't already seen it:

Quote:
They coined the phrase "jolly hockey sticks", and inspired a generation of schoolgirls to throw stink bombs and flash their stocking-tops at authority. Now, after a quarter of a century's orderly silence, the girls of St Trinian's are making a comeback.

The classic boarding school capers of the 1950s and 1960s are to be updated for this less innocent age. They will return in a series of multimillion-pound revamps filmed at the spiritual home of British slapstick, Ealing Studios.

Quote:
Everett said the decision to "sex up" a genre hitherto associated with bun fights, gymslip rebellion, and elaborate plots to blow up the school had been the subject of heated behind-the-scenes debate.

"I disagreed with everyone over whether to retain some of the innocence of the original, or to update it," he told an audience at the Cheltenham Festival of Literature.

"I, of course, wanted to make the schoolgirls into drug-dealers and prostitutes and what have you. Others disagreed. But in the end it was decided that my way is how it will be."

Source: Interview, Rupert Everett, The Independent, 10/10/06

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next