View previous topic | View next topic

Anosmia

Page 1 of 1

QiScorpion
274171.  Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote

Anosmia is a condition in which sufferers have no sense of smell. This can mean that they can't smell a specific odour - specific anosmia. There is also hyposmia, which is a diminished sense of smell. Anosmia is a lack of this sense, and thus differs from hyposmia. Congenital anosmia is anosmia from birth, which is what i suffer from.

The Wikipedia article on anosmia states that there is a major loss of the sense of flavour - what we recognise as taste is really flavour - this is true. However, we anosmics can taste things. To me, tomatoes taste foul, but spaghetti carbonara is delicious.

What else can you provide about anosmia?

CB27
274430.  Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:40 am Reply with quote

I don't know about anosmia, but I've always been able to taste aromas and as such have an incredibly weak gag reflex for strong smells, including air freshener smells.

Leith
274578.  Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote

I discovered last summer that I can't smell roses - or rather that everyone else can. This occurred during a family get together at my father's house during which my step-sister and step-mother commented that the roses in the garden had a particularly pleasant fragrance. On investigating this it turned out that neither my father, my brother nor I could detect any scent at all from the plant in question. Up until that point it hadn't occurred to any of us that this was particularly abnormal (though on reflection Shakespeare's 'Rose by any other name' line seems to make more sense now).

It's hard to tell objectively how my sense of smell compares to the norm but I get the impression it is somewhat diminished generally (I can tell when milk is off or wine is corked but only with difficulty), though roses are the only complete blind spot I've discovered so far.

smiley_face
274599.  Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote

I only tend to notice smell if it's particularly strong, or I'm deliberately trying to smell it. Even then, I only notice it. I've sat in on dissections of various animal intestinal tracts, and never been bothered by the smell in the slightest, even when others were leaving the room to be sick.

I suppose this could come in handy when I'm a doctor.

swot
275082.  Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:32 am Reply with quote

Do do people just not notice things like that after a while? I was at work yestarday and I noticed that , although nothing at all has changed, it looks a little different (and indeed the bookshop I worked in last year looked a felt different after I started working there) and it also smells different.

I know that on this site (I know not where) it was mentioned that as you get to know things and people, you don't take as much notice and that close friends look slightly different from the strangers they once were.

Archie
275089.  Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote

This may be completely rubbish, but I think I read (possibly in Schott's) that asparagus causes urine to smell a particular way. However, it isn't the case with everyone's urine, and not everyone can smell it.

cornixt
276225.  Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote

It does with me. I didn't even know that there was "myth" around it. If you want the colour to be green too, then drink Tesco Limeade.

QiScorpion
276298.  Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote

why, cornixt, why would you want green urine?????

besides, this forum is about anosmia, not urine colour.....

leith demonstrates symptoms of selective anosmia:

Leith wrote:
I discovered last summer that I can't smell roses.

If you can smell most other stuff except roses, leith, you've got selective anosmia. whereas i suffer congenital anosmia, and so don't even know what frying bacon smells like.....

AlmondFacialBar
276320.  Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote

gee, that must suck! :-( but then i guess if you've never known the smell of fresh coffee you can't really miss it... i've always found that attitude has a lot to do with how much of a smell you perceive and how pleasant it is to you. when i make fish, evne if it's fresh, mr almond's mom will immediately complain about the smell, whereas i hardly notice it. i love fish and seafood of all kinds, so where i smell a pleasant whiff she smells an overwhelming odor of fishport.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

NinOfEden
368178.  Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote

Aaaah! I've been trying to remember what that was called scince my dad told me he had it.
Anosmia.
Anosmia.
ANNN-OSSSS-MIIII-AAAAA.

Page 1 of 1