View previous topic | View next topic

Christmas

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Niall
202097.  Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote

I think this would a make a good question for the Christmas special:

What increases in the run-up to Christmas?

Forfeit: Suicide (according to Snopes, it doesn't, but a bit more independent research might be wise.)

Answer: Dishonesty, or at least one particular kind of dishonesty.

According to Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner in Freakonomics, a man named Paul Feldman started up a business providing companies with bagels. He would send the company a basket with the price written on it for the employees to put the cost of only their own individual bagel in. Because the bagels were provided to the company as a whole, people could eat their bagel and simply not pay, and there would be no way for anyone to know who was paying and who wasn't.
Feldman discovered that payment rates dropped in the week of Christmas. Some other holidays proved good for payment, though. These were holidays like the Fourth of July that are basically a day off from work. Christmas and Thanksgiving were bad for payment because you have the stresses of preparing the perfect meal, seeing your family and so on. The time around Valentine's Day is also bad due to the strain of having to live up to your romantic partner's expectations.
So Christmas is not entirely a season of goodwill.

smiley_face
202102.  Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote

Niall wrote:
What increases in the run-up to Christmas?

Forfeit: Suicide (according to Snopes, it doesn't, but a bit more independent research might be wise.)

I remember reading somewhere that the highest rates of suicide occur in the Spring. During the winter months, everyone is a little bit depressed, and so people suffering from depression feel less alienated. However, as the weather improves, everyone else tends to get more cheery, leaving depressed people feeling even worse, hence the increased rates of suicide.

I'm just trying to track down a source.

Niall
202109.  Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote

I find that I'm actually less depressed in the run-up to Christmas and more so earlier in the year.

smiley_face
202110.  Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote

Niall wrote:
I find that I'm actually less depressed in the run-up to Christmas and more so earlier in the year.

I think it depends on your situation. If you are looking forward to spending Christmas alone in poor living conditions, then I suspect your mood will probably drop a bit, while those looking forward to a big turkey dinner in the company of family and friends will probably feel a lot better during Advent.

jblackley
202995.  Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote

smiley_face wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that the highest rates of suicide occur in the Spring. During the winter months, everyone is a little bit depressed, and so people suffering from depression feel less alienated. However, as the weather improves, everyone else tends to get more cheery, leaving depressed people feeling even worse, hence the increased rates of suicide.

A psychologist friend of mine avers that divorce rates among his clients jump up in the spring and - to a lesser degree - peak again just before school starts. He puts it down to (spring divorces) people feeling the spirit of renewal as the season turns and (pre-school-starting divorces) the prospect of yet another hated cycle beginning.

Zebedee
204853.  Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote

Well, I am a January Divorcee. Started in the August, Nisi'd in the January and Absolute'd inthe January two years along after the Nisi. I do have a child but it had nothing to do with the general reasons as described above. Christmas time, I suffer badly with. Thoughts of it, shopping for it and preparing for it all beging way too far in advance if you ask me.

Relatives who ring in March to book their place round your table the following December should be arrested for disturbing the peace if you ask me!
Stores are to blame in today's modern world. WHO wants to even think about buying cards and wrapping paper in July for goodness sake? when they should be on their yearly chosen path to enlightenment for that year.

I find myself dreading the season of so called 'Good Will' before Easter has rung it's bells round my earholes, yet a few weeks before the main event I'm happier, calmer and much more resigned to the whole event.

I had a thought the other day. The 5 Christmas. All gifts for people should cost NO MORE than 5 maximum. When you think of the money wasted every year on gifts people will not use, like or want. Gifts that you know will be exchanged at the first available opportunity why bother?? A Gift Certificate or card is boring - Very boring, and shows no thought or care, wheras a 5 gift that is something small but useful often proves to be the best present and the most used.

Happy christmas everyone!! oh and 'Merry' christmas for those who prefer that term instead.

djgordy
204888.  Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote

Niall wrote:

Answer: Dishonestyl.

Of course. Since Santa Claus doesn't exist* any parent or teacher who tells children that he does exist is being dishonest.

*I'm sorry if I have shattered anyone's illusions.

Hummingbird
204892.  Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quote

I love Christmas; the food, the tackiness, the jaw dropping lights on the house down the road. I even like having the family all together.

I does stretch the wallet though, which explains the cheating at bagel s.

It is my experience that depression is worse in the Spring. I lived with a depressive and that was the crucial time. I'm sure everyone looking more cheerful is the last straw. I on the other hand get very low around September. It's more nostalgia than misery but it still hits me every year. Anniversaries go very deep in the subconscious.

djgordy
204897.  Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote

Hummingbird wrote:
I even like having the family all together.

Me too. It means I can shoot the lot of them in one go rather than having to take them out individually.

Flash
204898.  Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote

jblackley wrote:
divorce rates ... jump up in the spring and ... peak again just before school starts.

Newly-minted hypothesis coming up: people wait till after the holidays (skiing and summer respectively) to tell their spouses that they're doing a runner because they don't want to waste money by being banned from a holiday which has been paid for in advance.

Hummingbird
204900.  Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
jblackley wrote:
divorce rates ... jump up in the spring and ... peak again just before school starts.

Newly-minted hypothesis coming up: people wait till after the holidays (skiing and summer respectively) to tell their spouses that they're doing a runner because they don't want to waste money by being banned from a holiday which has been paid for in advance.

How delightfully cynical; and all too convincing.

djgordy
204901.  Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:

It's more to do with the fact that enforced and often unwanted togetherness just drives people to loathe each other. I rent out houses and flats and I get about three times as many enquiries for one bedroom flats in January as I do the rest of the year combined. I just tell them to go back home because generally people come to their senses around the second week in February and suddenly decide they can't afford to pay for two domiciles and if they take on a flat then they are stuck with it for 6 months.

Hummingbird
204908.  Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote

How sad.

Reminds me of some one I knew who told me his marriage only worked because they were seldom in the house at the same time. I'd take the flat and the cut in income if that were me.

Niall
204941.  Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Niall wrote:

Of course. Since Santa Claus doesn't exist* any parent or teacher who tells children that he does exist is being dishonest.

Okay, maybe 'white-collar crime' might be a better way of wording the answer.

Izzardesque
205114.  Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Niall wrote:

*sob*

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next