View previous topic | View next topic

A history of incredibly ignorant and stupid statements.

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Neotenic
200952.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote

"You can't fit quicker than a Kwik-Fit fitter"

Flash
201000.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:55 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Einstein - "God does not play dice with the universe"

A slight mis-quote, apparently - or a paraphrase, at any rate:

Quote:
Quantum mechanics is certainly imposing. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing. The theory says a lot, but does not really bring us any closer to the secret of the Old One. I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice.

Letter to Max Born (12 December 1926); quoted in Einstein: The Life and Times
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein

npower1
201016.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quote

This quote of Einstein's is often taken out of context by religious folk to show that even Einstein believed in god (which from my reading he didn't).

jonp
201020.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
"You can't fit quicker than a Kwik-Fit fitter"
I once met the chap who claimed he'd come up with this phrase. If it were me, I think I'd have denied it.

Flash
201036.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote

npower1 wrote:
This quote of Einstein's is often taken out of context by religious folk to show that even Einstein believed in god (which from my reading he didn't).

This issue is also discussed in the wiki article about him:

Quote:
The question of scientific determinism gave rise to questions about Einstein's position on theological determinism, and even whether or not he believed in God. In 1929, Einstein told Rabbi Herbert S. Goldstein "I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a God Who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of mankind." (Brian 1996, p. 127) ... By his own definition, Einstein was a deeply religious person (Pais 1982, p. 319). He published a paper in Nature in 1940 entitled Science and Religion which gave his views on the subject. In this he says that: "a person who is religiously enlightened appears to me to be one who has, to the best of his ability, liberated himself from the fetters of his selfish desires and is preoccupied with thoughts, feelings and aspirations to which he clings because of their super-personal value ...

But he:
Quote:

was an Honorary Associate of the Rationalist Press Association beginning in 1934, and was an admirer of Ethical Culture (Ericson 2006). He served on the advisory board of the First Humanist Society of New York

And apparently a
Quote:

thorough exploration of Einstein's views on religion was made by his friend Max Jammer in the 1999 book Einstein and Religion (Jammer 1999)

dr.bob
201039.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote

npower1 wrote:

However, in context it shows that he didn't believe in Quantum Mechanics. Subsequent progress seems to suggest that he was mistaken in this.

Curious Danny
201048.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote

npower1 wrote:

From a quick search, the general view seems to be that Einstein was religious (Judaism is the reason he had to flee from the motherland) but believed in a superpersonal god instead of a personal one. I haven't a clue what this means.
You should take everything you here about Einstein's life with a large dollop of salt. Popular figures attach themselves to popular myths. More research claims Einstein to be a militant pacifist (a stupid concept if you ask me), anti-american, pro-vegitarian and a budding buddhist.

Also the famous quote:

Quote:
If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live. No more bees, no more pollination ... no more men!

Was not said by Einstein but came from a European beekeepers protest in 1944 according to http://www.snopes.com/quotes/einstein/bees.asp. Same sort of thing as militant Islam using god as an excuse for murder.

AlmondFacialBar
201056.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote

Curious Danny wrote:
From a quick search, the general view seems to be that Einstein was religious (Judaism is the reason he had to flee from the motherland)

the reason why einstein had to flee his motherland was not that he was a follower of judaism but that he was a member of the jewish ethnicity, there's a difference. if the nazis had only slaughtered jewish people who actually believed in the religion associated with jewishness things would have been grand by comparison (not really, but you know what i mean). it was worse than that, much worse.

Curious Danny wrote:
but believed in a superpersonal god instead of a personal one. I haven't a clue what this means.

it means that he did not believe in some guy with a long beard on a cloud who plays the universe like puppets but in an abstract ruling force of nature. well, according to richard dawkins it means that, anyway, and it makes sense to me. dawkins therefore counts einstein among the atheists, for him theism or deism both mean the belief in a personal god.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

samivel
201090.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote

So the theists/deists think Einstein was a theist/deist, and the atheists consider him an atheist. How unusual.

;)

npower1
201102.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Looks like samivel has summed up this discussion accurately.

Hans Mof
201122.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote

That reminds me of Einstein reflecting on how he would be remembered.

Quote:
"If I'm right the Germans will say I was a German and the French will say I was a Jew; if I'm wrong, the French will say I was a German and the Germans will say I was a Jew."

AlmondFacialBar
201146.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote

i don't think anyone in their right mind would consider einstein a theist, to be honest (assuming you consider religious believers to be in their right minds in the first place). realistically he could be seen as a pantheist or maybe a deist.

hans - thanks, i'd been poking in my mind about how that one went!

AlmondFacialBar

mikeyfone
201201.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote

'We've hired him'. Von Papin on Hitler's appointment as Chancellor of Germany.

'In three weeks England will have her neck rung like a chicken.'
Marshal Petain, 1940.

'You're planning to sail a ship against the wind and tide by lighting a fire below deck? I don't have time to listen to that kind of nonsense!'
Napoleon Bonaparte on Robert Fulton's plans for a steamboat.

'Even if a submarine should work by a miracle, it will never be used. No country in the world would ever use such a vicious and petty form of warfare.' Admiral William Henderson, RN 1914.

AlmondFacialBar
201204.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote

mikeyfone wrote:
'We've hired him'. Von Papin on Hitler's appointment as Chancellor of Germany.

von papen, actually...

AlmondFacialBar

Sheriff Fatman
201271.  Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
1) England is ripe for revolution - Leon Trotsky (1925)
2) Churchill? He's a busted flush! - Lord Beaverbrooke (1932)
3) We (the Black Shirts) shall reach the helm in 5 years - Sir Oswald Mosley (1938)
4) The Daily Express declares that Britain will not be involved in a European war this year or next year either - The Daily Express (1938)
5)I believe it is peace in our time - Neville Chamberlain (1938)
6) I am convinced that Churchill will carry his party to victory - Lord Beaverbrook (1945)
7) There was no impropriety whatsoever in my relationship with Christine Keeler - John Profumo (1963)
8) Britain is swinging, but swinging into action, not decay - Harold Wilson (1966)
9) No Woman in my time will be Prime Minister or Chancellor or Foreign Secretary. Not the top jobs. Anyway, I wouldnt want to be Prime Minister, you have to give yourself 100% - Margaret Thatcher (1969)
10) I am not interested in a third party. I do not believe that has any future - Shirley Williams (1980)

Taken from Hunter Davies 1982 book, Bigger Book of British Lists.

Lord Beaverbrooke seems, never have to been able to get it right were Churchill was concerned.

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next