View previous topic | View next topic

Fornication!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

buchanan700
324829.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote

I, um, don't know what specifically to adress. But it must be said!

Amie
324832.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote

It does begin with F, I'll grant you that.. but what kind of QI facts can you find about it? That's pretty much the theme of this site :D

suze
324860.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote

I can tell you something that isn't true about fornication.

It's oft alleged - including in serious books that Ought To Know Better - that at one time one required some kind of license before one was permitted to fornicate.

If such license was granted, one apparently got a piece of paper to hang above the bed being used for the purpose. This piece of paper was allegedly inscribed Fornication Under Consent of the King, giving rise to a well known slang term for the activity thereby permitted.

It's complete balls, of course.

Tas
324869.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote

A cock and ball story, you might even say...

[/coat and hat: exit stage left]

:-)

Tas

gerontius grumpus
324875.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote

It has also been alleged that The word fornication arose from what naughty people did in the darkness under the arches of the Flavian amphitheatre, From the latin fornix arch.
I'm not too sure if there is any truth in that, it could also be something to do with behaving like an animal, or some other reason.

suze
324895.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote

This looks to be correct.

In ancient times, Roman prostitutes plied their trade from the aforementioned arches, and then by extension the word fornix came to be used to mean a brothel. And fornicating is undoubtedly that which goes on in brothels.

Sadurian Mike
324898.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote

I know that it is quite interesting to do, but I'm don't think I know anything QI about it.

General_Woundwort
324950.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Fornicators are misguided but hurting only themselves. Adulterers, however, are destroying some other party.

Sadurian Mike
325074.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote

General_Woundwort wrote:
Fornicators are misguided but hurting only themselves. Adulterers, however, are destroying some other party.

Unless it is a wife-swapping party.

cardinal guzman
325117.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote

.....or a political party.

CB27
325728.  Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote

OK, getting back to fornication, I thought I'd take a different angle and approach it from the back :)

Sodomy. In English it's becoming more and more accepted as meaning anal sex, just as it does in French and Spanish. In German and a few other central and north European languages it's associated more with bestiality.

The origin of the word comes from the sins of Sodom, the town at the heart of the biblical story of Lot.

Most people remember the story because Lot's wife turned to salt, but what's not so remembered is that God sent two angels to Lot's house in Sodom to see if they could find 10 righteous men and that the men of the town surrounded the house and called for Lot to give them the two men in his house so that they may "know them".

Often easily forgotten is that Lot actually offered the people of the town his two virgin daughters to do with as they please in order to protect the men.

Because of this story most people take the sins of Sodomy to mean sexual acts and mostly gay (even the Arabic word for homosexuals is derived from Lot).

The problem is that the sins of Sodom were described thus from Ezekiel 16:

49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fullness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
50 And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.

The sins of Sodom wasn't only or even mostly about sex, but you've got to sell religion somehow :)

Sheriff Fatman
325729.  Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote

Gomorrahy, for some reason, doesn't get as much press as sodomy. The poor citizens of Gomorrah must be feeling left out, but at least the Canadians remembered them and used the term as a legal definition.

CB27
325754.  Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote

I'm not too sure about that, in Hebrew the word for "Finish" is "Gimor" and "I have finished" is "Gamarti". I don't know the etymology of the word, but I always felt it had something to do with the name of Gomorrah.

Also, if you think they had it bad, spare a thought for the people of Admah and Zeboim, no one ever seems to remember them.

Jenny
325814.  Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quote

Ooh those Admahites! Their sin was obviously so terrible that Yahweh simply erased all memory of it from the earth, somewhat after the manner of Torchwood.

djgordy
325826.  Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:59 am Reply with quote

General_Woundwort wrote:
Fornicators are misguided but hurting only themselves.

I rather think that is masochists.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next