View previous topic | View next topic

Famous Last Words

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

zomgmouse
246920.  Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Last_words

This has quite a few, some quite funny (although this really shouldn't be funny).

"Wait a minute…" Pope Alexander VI
"Is it not meningitis?" Louisa May Alcott
"How were the receipts today at Madison Square Garden?" P. T. Barnum
"No." Alexander Graham Bell

etc.
I'm not sure of their credibility, but it's worth a look nonetheless (although you probably went there anyway before I mentioned it).

jaygeemack
247002.  Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:42 am Reply with quote

When General Franco was on his death bed in 1975, he could hear a clamour outside. He asked his daughter what the noise was. His daughter replied, "It's the people of Spain, coming to say goodbye." To which Franco replied, "Where are they going?"

Izzardesque
247156.  Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Captain Lawrence Oates. "I am just going outside and I may be some time"

I bet his last words were really 'Bloody Hell its cold out here!!!!"

gerontius grumpus
247431.  Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:04 pm Reply with quote

"Oh dear I think I am becoming a god." Vespasian.

thegrandwazoo
247750.  Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Some of my other favourite last words (if that's acceptable) are WC Fields who had been flicking through a Bible on his deathbed said "I'm looking for a loop-hole".

I always thought WC Fields was supposed to have said " On the whole I'd rather be in Philidelphia" when he was asked how he was feeling just before he died. I think the loophole one is probably better though

samivel
247828.  Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote

Well, I always thought the line about Philadelphia being preferable to here was suggested by Fields as his epitaph.

Davini994
247839.  Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
"Oh dear I think I am becoming a god." Vespasian.

Wonderful.

Curious Danny
248665.  Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote

Izzardesque wrote:
djgordy wrote:
Captain Lawrence Oates. "I am just going outside and I may be some time"

I bet his last words were really 'Bloody Hell its cold out here!!!!"

Actually, i'm sure i've read somewhere that he last words might have been the less glamorous, "I'm going for a wee"

ArmourerEllie
249249.  Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
"Fly you fools." - Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring (although the effect was rather spoiled by him coming back to life again).

I always through the effect was more spoiled since he then exits, stage downwards...

Archimedes' last words were quite interesting: "Μη μου τους κύκλους τάραττε" which, for the poor fools like myself with a modern education, translates to "Do not disturb my circles!". He was hard at work when a Roman soldier burst in, and thus enranged, killed him despite having being expressly told not to.

Johannes Brahms: "Ah, that tastes nice. Thank you."

Charles II: "You must pardon me, gentlemen, for being a most unconscionable time a-dying "

(All from WikiQuote.)

starman
250202.  Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote

Though quoted as his last words, this has been disputed, but then QI has never been pedantic about actually answering the question that was asked:

When Stan Laurel was very ill, he remarked to his nurse that he'd rather be skiing.
"Oh, do you ski, Mr Laurel?", the nurse asked.
"No," said the comic, "but I'd rather be skiing anyway."

Post-last words: Stan wrote part of his own obituary:
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again."

Last edited by starman on Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

starman
250204.  Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Edison was in semi-consciousness for the last two months of his life following pneumonia, when he suddenly opened his eyes and said, "I am surprised; it is very beautiful over there."

starman
250213.  Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote

Wyatt Earp didn't believe in life after death. As his brother Morgan lay dying, he said; "I think you're right, Wyatt. I can't see a goddam thing!"

Last edited by starman on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

starman
250220.  Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quote

OK, so "Goodbye" may well be have been the last word of rather a lot of people, but what makes it QI is that it was supposed the last word of Elvita Adams.
Aged 29, Elvita jumped off the 86th floor of the Empire State Building on December 2, 1979. However, a strong gust of wind blew her back onto a ledge on the 85th floor, and her only injury (apart from her pride) was a broken hip.

Sobriquet
251951.  Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote

http://www.qwantz.com/archive/000676.html

The scroll-over text says that Albrect von Haller (1777) and Joseph Henry Green (1863) were two doctors whose last word was "stopped" - they died while checking their pulse.

Creepy.

Sadurian Mike
260787.  Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote

These are cheating (because they are not real), but they make me laugh so I'm sharing them:

It's only explosive when it's confined under pressure.

Nah - flammable means it burns - inflammable is quite safe.

Don't unplug it, it will just take a moment to fix.

Of course it's sterile.

Hey, that's not a violin.

Are you pregnant or just plain fat ?

Well, the sergeant says we have 10 minutes before we attack the fort. Here, let me show you some new photos of my kid that my wife sent me.

It should be ok to swim in.

Watch this...

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next